(SFR) Best base for year-round SW fishing?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Walt K, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Another location you might want to consider is the Vancouver Washington Area. Your close to Portland and Vancouver which both have excellent hospitals and the Housing is a little cheaper down here. as far as Fishing we have everything ! you can take your boat out on the Columbia, which is good for Salmon, Sturgeon, Steelhead, Bass etc.. we also have the Kalama, Cowlitz, the Lewis, the Klickitat, the Washougal, the Elochoman all good rivers for Salmon, Steelhead and Sea Run Cutthroats. If you need a big City Portland is just 20 minutes away. it's no Seattle but it has everything Seattle has without the Population. Also we have some pretty good lakes. most of which are stocked with Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroats. I used to live just north of Seattle in Edmonds(Great town by the way) and I prefer it down here. We get less Gloomy Days too !.Good luck on your choices and where ever you end up just know the guys here on the site will welcome you ! :D
    p.s. Another good Benny is that there is no Sales Tax in Portland.

2. Well, we're actually looking in the Vancouver area, too (isn't it nice not be tied down anywhere?). Let's see, live in WA with no income tax, and shop in OR with no sales tax. I'm sure WA is thrilled with that ...

I do appreciate the suggestions all of you have offered. We'll be in Bellevue visiting family over Christmas and may look up and down the east side of the Sound to get a feel for the different areas there.

3. The Gig Harbor area is a pretty good base for SW fishing, usually you can go out to the sound anytime of the year with a fairly good chance of catching something. Also the Olympic Mountains and cascades are each within an hour and a half of GH, which can provide some good trout fishing. The major draw back for the area though is the amount of traffic on Hwy 16...

4. Well, looks like we'll be reconnoitering Vashon Island the Friday before Christmas. You native Vashonites (?) be merciful if you see a couple in a rental car looking confused ...