SFR: Best Sippin Whiskey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyborg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I just recently discovered the joy of good whiskey. So far I've enjoyed some Bushmills, but I'm looking for other opinions on what's good for the winter chill that ails us. The stuff you can drink neat or iced, none of that mixin stuff ;)

2. Gentlemen Jack. It's made my Jack Daniels I think it's their mid-range between Jack Daniels and Single Barrel. My favorite sippin' whiskey.

3. Balvenie Double Wood (12 year old) for a super smooth, easy to drink single malt Scotch or Bowmore (12 or 15 year old) for an Islay-style single malt Scotch. Bushmills goes well with Coke, as does Jack Daniels. (Just kidding . . .)

4. bushmills is really good, i get a bottle of that every St. patties day. other that that theres some higher end crown royals around 50-70 bucks that are pretty good, i think crown reserve was the last one i bought. makers mark has a makers 46 now thats really good though ive just tried it no idea on cost, was divine.

5. jack daniel's single barrel or jameson is what i like.

6. Crown Royal BLACK. Kind of a deep, smoky taste. It is excellent.

I noticed that Pendleton just released a new one, called 1910, it is 100% Rye. Have not tried it yet.

7. Too many good ones to list, but you should definitely avoid whiskey made in Tennessee and Canada, and never ever drink Chivas. Stick to Kentucky ,Ireland, and Scotland (no blends) and you'll be fine. Caol Ila for for fly tying and reading and Wild Turkey for chopping wood and shoveling snow in the morning. Sourmash is for pussies.

8. Not a whiskey per se, but good sippin'.........Lagavulin 16yr Single Malt.
    97 PTS WINE ENTHUSIAST, DOUBLE GOLD SAN FRANCISCO SPIRITS COMPETITION.
    Rich on the palate with hints of sherry; finish is long and smooth.
    Pairs best with strong flavors and that's the truth, pfttttttt.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. Woodford Reserve, Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, Johnnie Walker, Pendleton . . . all of these seem to do something right.

10. Woodford reserve

11. Johnnie Walker black for daily drinking, Johnnie walker blue for those days when you land record fish.

M

12. I've been Jack man for a long time. Used to drink W.Turkey with my brother. A few years ago when I was in a more flush situation and could afford it, I bought maybe a dozen bottles (in succession) of fine single Malt. I enjoyed that tour but learned a couple things. One, for me at least, there is no such thing as "sipping" whiskey. Two, I like Jack as well at a fraction of the cost. Just a cheap date I guess. Three (and a relatively new mantra borrowed from R.E.Lee), "I like whiskey. I always have. Which is why I never touch the stuff." :beathead:(We'll see if that lasts.)

13. My fav. About half again the cost of regular makers.

Had lunch at rogue brewery and watched their dead guy whikky flying off the shelf. Made me want to try some. Next time....

14. Not Whiskey (been avoiding the sweet stuff lately..), but my some of my recent expeirences with whisky in the <$40 crowd:

Very Good:
    Abelour 12 year, $37 - rich and smooth, a little sweet but not bourbon/molasses sweet
    Highland Park 12 year, $37 - So good, smokey, long burn

Good:
    Tamdu 10 year, $17 - light, smooth, very nice
    Famous Grouse 10 year (blend), $17 - simple, a little smokey, smooth

Not very good:
    Famous Grouse 12 year (blend), $25 - not bad for a second, but rank/harsh finish. I don't know what to do with this bottle.
    Bowmore 8 year islay, $20 - too flowery? I don't know, it's just not very good. A little water helps.

Other:
    Pikesville Straight Rye, $9 - Sippable, but makes a great Manhattan if you are in to that.

15. I prefer your whiskey.

Go Sox,
    cds

16. Jim Beam. Nuf said

I'm also cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Knob Creek...when I'm feelin' rich

George Dickel...all the other days

18. For $20, Old Granddad will keep your belly warm and won't put a lot of hurt on your wallet. If you want to stay local, try McCarthy's Single Malt from Oregon - smokey and delicious, but about $50.