SFR: Best Sippin Whiskey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyborg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Good post, Breck, well put and very informative. I'll raise a dram in your direction!
    Alex

2. Thanks for the kind words! A raised glass back in your direction, sir.

3. Hey Breck, is master of whisk(e)Y equivalent to a master of wine for sommeliers? Thanks for the info and tasting notes.

4. Something like that, Patrick.

5. I have a brother who's a som so I have some idea what it takes to get to that level.

6. I don't know about "Master of Whiskey", but I knew a lot of people in college who were Beer-Drinking majors.

I once drank Jack Daniels, but after being introduced to George Dickel, I won't ever touch JD again. Too tart. George is very smooth. Especially the 12 year old stuff that WSLCB has been stocking.

Same story with Tanqueray gin, I only drink Bombay now. And Bushmills went by the wayside. If its Irish for me, it will be Jamesons.

A friend's daughter turned 21 a few years ago and I gave her an assortment of single shot bottle of all these, plus a few others, so she could learn early on that being on the top shelf doesn't mean the booze is good.

7. We have a saying at Diageo that goes:

If all you know is Jack, then you don't know Dickel.

8. I'm surprised to hear that people enjoy the dry fly whiskey, very young and malty, and made from wheat. I'll try it again in 6 years...

9. We've got a young distillery going here in Ellensburg. Anyone try their stuff?

10. Taxes indeed.

Here is a little story from a trip across the Rockies last winter;

Having recently been in the republic of Alberta, intel on the cold side of the Rockies suggested I find Willow Park Wines and Spirits of Calgary, in my quest for a fine dram.

Ok, so the accomplice and I break into the store just prior to the 10:00 am opening (this was pointed out to us by the personality deficient clerk) If there ever was a Scotch nirvana (in a store at least) this place was it. I really don't know how many brands but it was many.

Quickly scanning the vast selection, I determined lesser brands were notably less expensive than here in ''bend over'' BC.

Soon I was joined in the otherwise empty store by a rather upbeat in house Scotch expert. A few questions to determine my knowledge and vise versa, and then the serious interrogation started. I saw a nicely priced 18 year old that I was unfamiliar with and asked about its characteristics. The talk soon turned to some bottlers brands. Hmmm, my experience with these has been excellent, so I was intrigued. Anyways, after more talk the aforementioned expert says wait here for a moment, and returns shortly with a glass of the Aqua Vitae. Not just a tiny sip either, but enough for a couple good swigs. I swirl the glass and nose it, oh man, I had to take it in a couple of times. Then finally I taste the stuff.

Wow.

A stupid grin crosses my face as I have a second sip, savouring the long finish. I look at the expert and take a bottle from the shelf. He says to me wait here, I'll be right back. I could have guessed what was coming. A fresh glass and another generous taste of the nectar. Swirl, breath, oh wow...smile, shake my head, taste.

Ok this is going to be expensive.

Simply one of the finest Scotches I have ever tasted. I look at the expert and smile. Its barley 10:15 and I have probably around $50 of scotch in me had I been in a bar. The expert not only knows Scotch but also how to make a sale.

I left the place with a bottle of Berry Bros. and Rudd (Berrys Own Selection) cask strength (58.7) limited bottling of 1998 Laphroaig and a bottle of 1985 Glenrothes speyside, for under $100/bottle. I'll have to see what they would cost over here.

The best part is I managed to get the stuff home intact...

11. Breck,

Let's float. I'm off Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and usually Thursdays.....

I'll bring the hot buttered rums, you bring the scotch.

M

12. I have, again I think it's too young (especially for the $, last time I checked $110 a bottle).

13. I really want it to be good in the way our beers are as good as British beers, but I guess I can wait a bit.

14. Had a bit of the Speyburn 10 yr. single malt at the Orvis event yesterday. It was enjoyable and at a price I could have it every evening.

15. Pendleton... second.

16. dry fly whiskey made in spokane is my fav but hard to find. better than snake river which is better than penlleton which is better than crown. i hear the vodka is worth drinking if you can find it. mike w

17. iagree

i'm also a big fan of Oban 14, thanks to Windtickler who has been kind enough to spot me my first bottle!
    Pyrat Rum XO Reserve is also a special treat, it is dark and smokey!
    enjoyed some the other night paired with a Tatuaje cigar!
    Makers 46 is some fine Bourbon
    I also agree with Jerry on the Jameson or Crown is good for regular flask sippin

JD

18. Did anyone mention Blanton's? I have yet to try Makers 46 but it is on my list.

19. Hey Breck, is it true that most Scotsmen drink blended Scotch? I've heard this rumor that they market single malt for the American consumer but wouldn't be caught dead drinking single malt themselves.