SFR: Best Sippin Whiskey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyborg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

My experience with English & Irish family is due to cost, most do drink a blend. They sure were appreciative of the single malt (wee goldie) I brought over from the duty free.

2. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

It noticed during my last trip to Scotland, that folks consumed plenty of both. Here's a statistic for you, though. 94% of all scotch whisky sold worldwide is blended. Every minute, 6 bottles of Johnnie Walker are sold.

3. CornBiscuit

CornBiscuit New Member

George Dickel #12
    Crown Royal Black

in the flask tucked into the fishing vest...

winter is here... as a good fishin' friend once said to me as we stood riverside in a pelting downpour... "This is whisky weather..."

4. kidwithdog

kidwithdog Guest

Stein Distillery...only true Eastern Oregon distillery. They make shine, cordials, vodka and excellent rye.

http://steindistillery.com/

5. Islander

Islander Steve

This is the worst thread ever. All these new whiskeys I've never heard of and now I have to go try them all. My wife's going to kill me.............

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

One of my hunting buddies was on a tour of Scottish distilleries a couple years ago. At quitting time he asked some of the workers what they drunk when they got home. It was a famous single malt place like Oban. They said they liked Famous Grouse. (which I started drinking after hearing that and I do like it.)

7. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Pendleton just released a new one called 1910, I was told that it is 100% Rye. I purchased a bottle at $40. Pretty tasty.

I agree with Islander, this thread really got me to thinking that I need to try some of the favorites listed here. I have never been a scotch guy, I am a canadian guy. I always thought Chivas was supposed to be a good scotch, but I never cared for it much. I tried Johnnie Walker Black Label and The Glenlivet single malt last weekend. Pretty tasty stuff. I think there will now be a bottle in the cabinet when I feel the urge for something different.

Also agree with Cornbiscuit above, CROWN ROYAL BLACK.

8. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    For anyone who wants a good, simple look at the world of Scotch whisky, check out the Traveling Savage blog about Scotland. He put together an easy-to-read, informative mulipart history of Scotch. Here are links to the first 3 parts (I think a 4th installment is planned):

http://www.traveling-savage.com/2011/03/14/beginners-guide-malt-whisky-part-1/

http://www.traveling-savage.com/2011/11/09/beginners-guide-single-malt-whisky-part-2/

http://www.traveling-savage.com/2011/11/16/beginners-guide-single-malt-whisky-part-3/

9. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

If you like blended Scotch whisky, Johnnie Walker in particular, keep an eye out for the new member of the JW family-Johnnie Walker Double Black Label. It's a limited edition release in the US. Over the last year, it has enjoyed great success in the duty-free market. The Double Black is essentially Black Label amplified. All of the richer, peatier, smokier blending whiskies are doubled, resulting in a blend that is more full-flavored and full-bodied than other JW blends. Rich notes of peat, sea salt, and dried fruits dominate the palate and taper off to a nice clean finish.

10. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Not sure if anyone has recommended Knappogue Castle but they make a really nice single malt irish whiskey. I am no scotch/whiskey expert but I think it is really good. It also makes a good gift for the irish whiskey crowd for whom jamesons, bushmills, powers, etc. is not novel enough.

11. Preston

Preston Active Member

One of my favorite Irish whiskies has been Tullamore Dew. I prefer it to Jamieson's, Bushmill's and other readily available Irish blends. Recently I discovered Tullamore Dew 10-year old Single Malt; far and away the best Irish whisky I've come across.

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    It's clear from the growing number of replies to this post that the forum has a drinking problem :beer1:

13. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    this storm cycle could be enough to push us over the edge and induce a few benders, drunk posting and hangover rants

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Well reading this thread has sure cost me. On the way home from work I stopped and picked up a bottle of Glenrothe. Nice booze.

Sg

15. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    You aint kidding.

16. herl

herl Member

..Costing me too. I picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 12 year, and am trying to get used to a very good (according to numerous reviews and reports) Islay malt. Islays wil grow on me I think.

17. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

..if you can ever try the 1985 limited bottling...just saying

18. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

Soon you too shall learn to embrace the peat.

19. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Jamesons, on the river.....Jamesons, at home!!!!

20. herl

herl Member

I really enjoy the peat/smoke part - it is the iodine/antiseptic part that trips me up. No matter what, it is amazing that whiskies an be so varied and complex. ..Here's to figuring them out.