SFR: Best Sippin Whiskey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyborg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

i realize this thread is more about Sippin Wiskey, but I've been enjoying some specialty beers that have a whiskey, rum or burbon influence.

tonight i'm enjoying some Widmer Bros Barrel aged BRRRurbon

Barrel Aged Brrrbon '11 is a smooth winter warmer and the first release as part of the Alchemy Project. Following the initial brewing process of Brrr, the beer was given a fresh charge of hops during secondary fermentation and then put into Kentucky Bourbon barrels and aged for four months. After barrel aging, the beer was allowed a tertiary fermentation for final conditioning before release.

very different, definately a decent winter beer, this goes along the style of the Rogue John John Beers. I've only found them at the Issaquah Brewhouse.
    they are a treat if you haven't tried them. The John John Dead Guy is aged in Whiskey Barrels and the John John Hazlenut is a brown ale set in Rum Barrels, this is probably one of my favorite seasonals.Their spring/summer beer is the Juniper Ale which is bright with Juniper Berries and finished in Gin Casks.

2. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

What up E?!?!?!?!

miss ya man!

3. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

-Talisker
    -Basil Hayden
    -Any Glenmorangie..

4. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

5. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Hell...the key to professional drinking is to 'drink cheap'. After the first couple of shots, none of you could tell the difference anyway!

6. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

This Rye is fantastic. Very smooth, I actually like it better than the bourbon.

Another favorite Rye of mine is made by High West in Park City Utah. Rendezvous Rye it is called.

sorry for the multiple posts, just read through the whole thread and had to comment on things that struck a chord. Whiskey is one of my FAVORITE topics!!

7. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

You guys must be escaped Mill Valley Kalifornites now living in Seattle! WTF.... "tapering off to dried apricots....and finishing strong". Admit it.....all that sophisticated stuff really leads to the same place....getting pleasantly shitfaced.

8. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Dry Fly is smooth whiskey.....Bullit is super Bourbon.....Bulleit is fantastic rye........GlenMorangie Port Wood finish simply put IS the water of life lads.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

There are so many styles of whiskey out there that it really comes down to your tastebuds what's good. So what may be the best to you may taste like crap to others. Can say that about cigars, beer, etc. Guess what you need to do is go sample.

10. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Don't forget Wild Turkey 101 !!!!

11. With you there, Jason. On the West end of Redding on the way to the T, I always stop at this little Market that has a great selection of beers, wines & spirits. From the belgian seasonal ales that go from $10/ 24 oz. to some aged Sierra Nevadas ($10/L) to the more reasonable microbrews from Weed, Lagunitas, Rogue and others. I still love the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I never understood that bit about adding a "few drops of spring water" to a shot of Scotch. I still don't, and don't have "spring water," WTF that's supposed to mean. But I do have filtered water, and I added a very wee dram of that to the shot of Glenrothe last night. It really does mellow it out, softening the bite that is so common with straight whisky and whiskey.

Sg

13. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

14. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I'm not a Scotch guy, I like bourbon. But I toured the Glenfiddich distillery in Scottland when I was there, and they told me about the water, I thought they were full of it, but then we tried it straight and then he just added, literally a couple of drops of water, completely different taste, much smoother. I was amazed that it could make that much different.

15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I like to add a couple of glugs of Mountain Dew or Pepsi to my Jameson's, Maker's Mark, or Bushmills...mellows that stuff right out!

16. Islander

Islander Steve

iagree

That's some funny sh*t right there!!

17. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

Good call with a couple minor changes:

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

We will add Ginger Ale to ours sometimes. Adds a very nice touch if you don't want to go straight up.

And yes, while I was in Scotland back in the late 80's, I remember them almost always serving Scotch with a touch of water. I didn't care, I was a teenager legally drinking, I was alright with whatever they gave me. LOL. Wish I was a bit older, would've appreciated it more. BUT, will say I did learn that there are a variety of Scotch out there. Depending on where in Scotland it was bottled (not just the single malt vs blends). Been awhile, so don't remember what all the terms were. But remember it had something to do with what they were mostly brewed with.

What really sucks. Come to find out that one of the towns we stayed in on our fishing travels I had relatives. There are actually Daschofsky's who imigrated to Scotland. Stayed in Inverness and had relatives literally blocks away. I wasn't checked in at the B&B under my name, I was with the Germans who were traveling to fish. Sucks, I've now connected with that stem of the family, but to be that close and not see them is a sad thing. But want to head back, and then to Ireland as well, with my wife (since she is half Scot/half Irish) and do some touring.

19. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

cold weather new favorite = fireball whisky

20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I think "Apple pie "A concoction out of the hills in darrington (maker unknown) is as good as it gets , the effects are the same as with all evil acohol consumption.