SFR: Best Sippin Whiskey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Flyborg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. heathero

heathero Member

Spoken like a true whiskey drinker!

2. herl

herl Member

I was still confused about Islays, then I bought a bottle of Laphroig Quarter Cask. Now I get it. That stuff is amazing, and I can now appreciate the Caol Ila and the Bowmore for what they are - slight variations on the theme (Caol Ila being the better variation, at least better than the 8 year Bowmore). Too bad I'm sitting here working on work, instead of fishing, while I drink. Fishing would be better.

3. Achilles

Achilles Member

Best thread ever.

Any scotch, neat.

4. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

been studying this thread, as i'm recently looking at new whiskeys to drink. of the 24 or so brands mentioned atleast twice. i thought there would be some kind of consensus, but found none.

the top five "makers" based only on popular mention in this thread are:

Makers Mark
    Pendleton
    Jim Beam
    Johnnie Walker
    Knob Creek

a useless bit of info, but i spent the time and thought i'd share.

5. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

So many Whiskeys, so little time.

6. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

For those who like Irish whiskeys give Knappogue Castle a try. Delicious! Also, Jamesons 12 or 18 year is a fine libation. Glenmorangie gets my Scotch vote.

7. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

Along with Knob Creek, Makers, Bookers is Bakers.

8. Breck

Breck Active Member

If anyone would like to try some good single malts, I'll be hosting a Whisky tasting at the Whisky Bar on 2nd & Virginia, Downtown Seattle beginning at 7pm. $10 gets you a generous taste of 3 different single malts, plus a haggis dinner complete with neeps & tatties. Come on down.

9. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

what day?

10. Trader Joe's has a fine Ilay single malt called Finlaggan. Interesting bit of history attached to that stuff. We found the place while over there.[/QUOTE]

What state do Trader Joe's have hard A?

11. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Since the thread started I've gone through a bottle of Jameson's and just got a bottle of Makers Mark. Good stuff. Definitely takes the bite off at the end of a work day. I forgot I'd had Jameson's several years ago on the Ronde with Grey One and Steelie Mike. Although to their credit they finished a bottle by themselves one afternoon :) I'm not sure I was truly in a state to appreciate it back then.

12. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Basil Hayden for me!

13. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

Spirits
    View attachment 46310 View attachment 46309 This is good and Bulleit Bourbon is very nice, but I like it all (in moderation...of course). :)

Good liquior like an excellent fly rod and well tied flies is a comfort that once sampled is hard to pass.