SFR: Beyond the waterproof camera -- waterproof video camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by loose ferrule, Dec 29, 2008.

1. loose ferrule

loose ferrule New Member

Media:
    Was at Fry's Electronics picking up a cable when I came across this. Interesting concept for $400: waterproof (5ft), shockproof, dustproof video camera. Resolution is not the best. Some retrospection on the drive home.

1) I predict that the waterproof video cameras (like this) will be the next rage with the fly fisherman. YouTube videos of people fighting and landing fish will grow rampant.

2) Fry's is a breeding ground for mutants.

3) This camera can be used in the shower :thumb:

2. fishkisser99

fishkisser99 Member

...I agree with #1. Wait a year--things are cooking there. Currently, a Flip and 30' waterproof case (if you can find one) runs less than half as much...

#3 makes me wonder how many of you have cleaned a fish in the shower of the motel at which you're staying...lol

--mja

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I want to see what else it does in a shower. Mods?

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I'm guessing that the video from either the Pentax w60 or the Olympus 1030SW is just as good as that $400 thing for much less money (and takes still photos to boot).

5. jasmillo

jasmillo Member

I would imagine you are right. I was pleasantly suprised by the underwater video taken by my Olympus 850SW. I recently shot video with it for the first time on one of those night-time snorkeling with manta rey trips in Hawaii. Plus it takes decent photographs and cost me less than $250 6 months ago.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Pentax w60 shoots HD video

7. loose ferrule

loose ferrule New Member

Media:
    Since the original post, I have been doing some research and convinced myself that I need to be at the forefront of #1 (see above). So further self-convincing led me to a 45 minute drive to a Walmart in Lynwood (or someplace around there). I was not daunted even by the two police cruisers parked at the entrance of the fine establishment. The prize: Kodak's Zi6 HD video camera. It is the size of a blackberry/iphone/etc. and most importantly it shoots in 720p HD at 60 frames per second (fps). The Pentax still camera W60 is only 15 fps. The picture is "amazing" and it only costs $150. Will post a sample after the casting session on Saturday. By the way, it took me half an hour to find the camera inside Walmart. The "young man" manning the photo area thought I was nuts when I described the camera. But diligence provoked me to scour every isle in that immediate vicinity, and after the third pass I found it in an obsure glass cabinet hidden in the corner of the bottom shelf. I take back #2 in the original post ... and replace it with Walmart. I would have been really pissed if I made the trip and came back empty handed. Camera is not waterproof, but you can put it inside one of those waterproof baggies for phones, cameras, etc.

[​IMG]

8. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    But only at 15 frames per second. If video isn't 30 fps, it isn't worth taking.

9. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
  10. loose ferrule

loose ferrule New Member

Media:
    As promised, after taking a mind numbing deep dive into video editing, compression, encoding, 16:9, etc. I have uploaded a nice little video of spey casting on YouTube for your enjoyment. The camera as stated above is the Kodak Zi6. Take it for what it is worth: but for $150, I give it a :thumb:

All that remains is hooking up with a fish for #1 (see original post), and hooking up with non-fish for #3. :cool:

Make sure you click on "watch in HD" on the bottom right for the full theatrical experience.