SFR-Bigfoot among us?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Hale, May 21, 2009.

1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

I recently watched a program on the History channel called "Monster Quest" in which they explore whether or not a particular "monster" is real or fake. One of the episodes focused on Sasquatch, and although there have been sightings of a large, hairy ape-like creature for centuries from places all over the world, a great many of the reports have come from the Northwest. The Monster Quest episode featured witnesses from Vancouver Island, the Skagit River, Nothern California on the Klamath River, as well as many other lesser known areas of the PNW.

When I was a boy, my stepfather related a story to me of when he believes he did encounter a Sasquatch near Boise, Idaho. I am and have always been skeptical and tend to believe that someone, somewhere would have found a body, remnants of a body part, or an actual live Sasquatch somewhere by now. However, a part of me really wants to believe that something like a Sasquatch exists (except when night fishing by myselfbawling:).

Since we all fish and spend a great deal of time in the outdoors, one of us must have had an encounter or heard of an encounter with "Sasquatch". Are you willing to relay your stories?
    Jeff

2. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Sasquatch; back before I started to shave, cut my hair, and shower, I was confused for being a sasquatch. My buddy is kinda ugly, he gets confused for one when we are out fishing also.

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

He's real.

1-0 Sox,
    cds

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

costumes + conspiracy nuts + lsd = bigfoot.

5. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

call me crazy, but i honestly believe in bigfoot. when i lived in port angeles for 4 years i spent alot of time camping and backpacking around the peninsula in some very remote places. one night back in jan of 2005, i was on a date and we decided to go up to the olympic hotsprings. There were no cars at the trailhead and we headed in. About 2/3 of the way there we turned around because my flashlight went dead and we had only candles to try and navigate the trail. It was a moonless night, pitch black. suddenly we heard something full on running in the woods nearby, breaking branches and making alot of noise. it suddenly came to a complete stop really close to us and for the next 5 minutes made an aweful noise that was ear peircing. we stood there in the complete pitch black, she was shaking and crying. I had a pocket knife blade out and i was just trying to get her to shut up. I thought any moment this thing would jump out of the darkness and rip us apart. the noises were kind of really loud woops with really long grunts and ocasional deafening shrieks. I swear that there was something else similiar, not an echo calling back from across the elwha valley during the breaks in noise. whatever it was stopped and crept back off into the woods, slowly breaking branches on it's way. we got back to the car, hauled ass outta there and then picked up a crankhead hitcher on 101 that almost jumped clear out in front of my jeep in the darkness. it was quite a night.
    I don't really think it could have been anything other than a squatch, I've heard elk before and it wasn't even close. we were the only people up there. obviously something has to be happening out there if so many people are seeing and hearing things. that's my close encounter

6. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

and also BFRO.NET has some good stuff if you're really interested

7. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

i have a size fourteen EEEE shoe. i like to go barefoot near campgrounds and freak people out.

8. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

There's two that live in the Hoh valley, they tend to stick lower down though, around Nolan creek to the res.

9. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

As real as steelhead these days. If you are interested in such things, you must put yourself in the position to experience. The people who blab about bigfoot are akin to those that blab about a hot steelhead spot. Those in the know, don't bother to inform the uneducated.

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Not ashamed to say I'm inclined here to go along with the "yes" vote here.:eek:

11. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Anybody have any stories of encounters? I don't mind the playful and sarcastic banter, but some actual testimony may be interesting if you've had such an experience. Here is an interesting link that catelogs sightings in different areas of the country.
    http://bfro.net/GDB/

12. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Near Boise? That would be Don Samuelson when he was governor of Idaho.

13. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Smart ass comments aside (and the numerous mushrooms in our woods:D), I give bigfoot a yes vote. Way too many stories to not think something is/was out there. I think the Indians have Bigfoot stories also, that date back to before there were cameras and monkey costumes. Not to mention they have similar creature stories around the world, the Yeti for one and there is this other one that is kinda small (can't remember the name or part of the world). Not to mention South America has there own creature, again I draw a blank on the name. It's not just big foot either, there was an article on Yahoo about some Rhinos in Africa that were just found to exist, previously thought to be gone, this was the first sighting in like 60 or 70 years.

14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Reading that website is creepy. This is sure to ruin my far-flung mountain fishing exploits. I'll be paranoid the whole time.

15. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

I say Yes as well, no shame here. I to have been out in the middle of nowhere camping and have heard a terrible shreeking noise that no other animal that I know of could make. It was the kind of shriek that made the crickets and frogs go silent and chills run up and down your spine. I'm tingeling just thinking about it. bawling:

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

17. Trent

Trent Ugly member

18. Jim Corsetti

Jim Corsetti H20 - the elixir of life

A sasquatch must stink. I mean, you must be able to smell them if you are in their vicinity, especially if the wind is right. They must be really, really stinky. Don't you think?

19. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I always keep my camera handy.... I want that million dollar photo man! :D

20. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

I had lunch with him on a remote North Cascade lake back in the summer of 2002.
    He prefers wheat over white.