SFR-Bigfoot among us?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Hale, May 21, 2009.

1. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I know two brothers who swear they saw a Bigfoot by Mt. Lassen around 1960. I first heard the story in about 1970 when I was a kid. I've asked them separately about it multiple times over the years, the last time was about a year ago. Their stories have never changed or wavered. I'd think that if it was BS there'd be variations and changes over the years.

Well there was one change; as one of the brothers got older he finally admitted that he screamed like a little girl.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah, I never figured out why they pass up on a micro-brewed or ice malt liquor (interject matney) seasoned liver....:confused: :beer2:

3. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Waders are chewy and tippet gets in their teeth.

4. Matthew Malloy

Matthew Malloy Trout Bum

People are always sayin we would have found remains by now... but you don't hear any stories about people finding bear skeletons out in the woods either... nature kinda takes care of itself. I believe in sasquatch.. actually have a wierd theory about Kane and Abel I completely forgot about. Kane was doomed to walk the earth forever after killin Abel.. lotta time for evolution to do it's thing. I think maybe Kane adapted to his suroundings after several hundred years and became the first bigfoot ;) I'm a nut, I'll admit it; but it sure is fun!

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Can't/won't say yes or no. There are lots of critters out there that the majority of folks have never seen or seldom see . . . cougars, lynx, fishers, grizzlies in the lower 48, & wolverines for example. Similarly, there are vast tracts of rugged country in which humans rarely set foot. I heard a gawdawful scream years ago back home in Montana . . . always attributed it to a coug, but who knows? I will admit that it was an attention-getter at the time & made the .22 I was carrying as I checked my trap line seem a tad insignificant. Know of 2 folks who have claimed a sighting, one so shaken by his encounter that he refused to go hunting in that particular area ever again and I've heard other stories second-hand. I'll say that their existence is within the realm of possibility based on the fact that new species are still being discovered to this day. Heck, if I were a bigfoot with some semblance of intelligence/rational thought & heightened senses, I'd likely not be too keen on meeting people either.

6. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    What a coincidence! Just last night I watched a program about Bigfoots.
    One guy has been recording reports on sightings in his area and had several hundred sightings all filed away.

The next guy they interviewed was a skeptical biologist. One of his main points was, "Where are they? Why aren't we seeing them? If there is a breeding population there should be numerous sightings - but we are not seeing them."

Obviously the bio and the first guy have never hooked up and compared notes. Why can't these program producers ever get these guys all in the same room?

The other question that skeptics always raise has to do with the discovery of skeletons, or lack thereof. I have seen lots of bears and a few cougars. But in 50+ years of stomping around in the mountains I have never seen a bear skeleton, cougar skeleton, or any trace of a Bigfoot dead or alive. Two out of three are known to exist. Others swear the third one does too. Until I hit one with my truck and bring him home I'll be skeptical, but open minded.

7. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    i remember someone here awhile back saying that the smartest animals are the ones we havent found yet.... i concur.

8. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    I've heard about the Kane theory as well....How did Kane survive the Flood?

9. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

It's easy to judge from an urban/suburban internet forum. And yes, there are nuts and hoaxes. "Bigfoot sighted cruising Hollywood Blvd." etc etc.

I've been lucky enough to spend a bit of time in some real backwoods locations. One perspective that stood out was told to me by an Ojibwe Indian guide in Ontario. This guy is a friend and for many years my dad and I had requested him as our guide when we visited Eagle Lake lodge.

Their reservation borders the lake and there are hugh expanses of forest bordering the lake without roads or inhabitants.

This guy is also a lives off the land and guides hunters in the fall. He'd been through a lot, having guided since he was in his teens.

You knew when he was serious about something - his tone was different. Like when he talked about being hit by lightning as he was urging his fishermen to get out of the boat before the stomr hit. He was knocked out and one of the two fishermen he was guiding was killed. He quit guiding for 5 years after that, and even now will haul ass for shore whenever he senses a storm is imminent.

He was a bit buzzed late one afternoon (he helped us finished our daily allotment of LaBatts) when I asked him if there was anything in the woods that scared him. He got a serious look and said something to the effect of "You don't know everything that lives in the woods" and described some things that had happened to him while hunting. Meat stolen from 7' hight racks known to be black bear-proof that were knocked over, sounds at night, and fleeting shadowy images that had convinced him something like what is described as Bigfoot exists. Didn't seem like he was trying to scare me, just communicating that he had a very healthy respect for what was out there.

I'm a guarded skeptic, but I also know I'll never match his time in the woods or practical familiarity with it's creatures.

Just my .02,

Brian

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    If you believe the flood occurred then you must concede that if God wanted Cain alive to walk the earth, he would have provided a way for him to survive the flood. :rofl:

11. Tim Morrison

Tim Morrison Member

Media:
    i and jcalderon had a very close encounter with bigfoot this past weekend. pm jcalderon for details of the whole story im still a bit too shaken up to talk about it.

12. Zach M

Zach M Because I floss so hard

Media:
    Heres my story. dont know if it was bigfoot but its kind of a good story i think

My buddy and I hiked back to a lake to see if we could catch some fish. It was around 7:30 on a somewhat rainy night.
    As we arrived at the lake, Marshall looked at me and asked if I just heard something. He explained that it sounded like something had been thrown in the water like a log or a large rock. I assumed it had just been a big fish as we inflated our float tubes to go out in the lake. We made our way down the lake, and as I got to the far side something was thrown into the water about seventy feet away from me, about ten from shore. This splash was from a large log that floated back to the surface. The log seemed too big for any person to throw that far into the water so it left me confused. I met up with Marshall in the middle of the lake and explained what happened and right after I finished explaining what had happened there were a series of howls at the other side of the lake from where we were. There is a beaver dam at the other side where the hoots and howls came from but these sounds sounded like nothing I have ever heard.
    About half an hour later from the howls my phone rang from the front pocket of my waders. I looked at my phone and saw that it was Marshall that was on the other side of the lake by now. I answered the phone and he whispered to me
    “Dude there is something in the woods in front of me so when we get off the phone listen and tell me what you think it is”
    I hung up the phone and listened to the forest in front of me. There was crashing of bushes and brush by something that sounded enormous. I don’t think this could have been a person because it was moving through the brush very quickly. It sounded about twenty feet away from the lake shore and it was making a ton of noise as it trudged through forest for about two hundred yards. When the crashing had stopped there was no noise. The woods went silent and it was around 9:00 when this happened, so it was starting to get dark at that point. That’s when we decided we had to get out of here and proceeded to the lake shore. We quickly packed up our things and I got the knife out of my pocket to walk back with because we felt uneasy about the trek back.
    After walking for about ten minutes my friend told me to stop walking and listen for something he heard moments earlier. There was crashing in the bushes off to the left of the trail and it stopped a couple seconds after we stopped. We quickened our pace and started walking fast on the trail back. Every three minutes or so we would stop and listen. The crashing in the bushes off the trail would stop after we stopped. We thought we were safe then so we talked over what had just happened. We didn’t talk very much the walk back because we were listening closely to the crashing and trying not to make each other panic. We both talked about how the thing had seemed to be following us out of the forest and if the sounds were the same creature that was whooping.
    About a month later, my friends Jon sent ma a link to some Bigfoot recordings and they sounded exactly the same as the howls we heard. I then played the sound for Marshall that was with me and he freaked out and said we found Bigfoot. He said it was the same sound we heard that day on the lake. It’s not a big deal or anything but I’m pretty sure Marshall and I are friends with Bigfoot now.

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Tim Morrison is still walking funny after the "encounter"

14. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Yes Yes. I'm sure there is not question to If God could do it, Only HOW it was done. If, was not the question.

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Not to be a wise ass TFG, but how did Moses part the Red Sea?

Just joshing with you...maybe BF swam and/or floated during the flood?

I have a couple of friends with stories. One on a BC lake and one in California. They are both trained in wildlife biology and they saw 'things" they couldn't explain.

There was a WSU professor who spent considerable time with BF investigations. They found prints and hair samples that didn't match anything already classified.

Me? I'm skeptical but won't rule out anything.

16. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

There are several different translations of the Bible but they all say essentially the same thing...Cain was forced to wander the earth moving from place to place. It never says that he was doomed to walk the earth for eternity. So that may shoot down your theory of Cain trying to get on the ark and turning in bigfoot. Wow!

17. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Grover Krantz was the guy's name. He was a Professor of physical anthropology and specialized in human evolution. He was considered pretty eccentric by many, perhaps crazy by others, but there was no denying his enthusiasm and passionate belief in Bigfoot. Wish I'd taken one of his classes while I was there. Either he knew something or was a nut. There's a fine line between genius and insanity. Me, I'm a cautious believer. I'd like to think Bigfoot exists and is intelligent enough to have evaded capture or definitive identification all these years. It's probably intelligent enough to rationalize that if it harmed or killed a human, then the hunt would really be on for it. But as long as it's just messin' with us and causing stories to be told, it's safe from persecution :D

18. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

I feel like "scientist skeptics" get written off too easily sometimes, and on those few times I've talked to biologists about this, they make really good cases against the possibility of a bigfoot existing.

Now, in spite of that plug for the skeptics, I'd certainly like to believe in it, and in fact was fortunate enough to see a friends home video from early 90's when his dad was filming a scenic shot of a river where they were camping, and picked up almost a minute of what looked to be a bigfoot. Personally knowing the family that took the video and thus having more faith in the authenticity is good proof to me, but I doubt it'd be convincing if I'd seen it without the personal connection to them.

19. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

I kinda like not knowing if big foot is real or not, adds suspense to those hikes in the middle of nowhere

20. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Could Bigfoot be a part of our culture? Looking through that website that was posted, I noticed that Washington State was #1 for Biggy sightings. Oregon came in second with about 200, where we have around 460 sightings, according to that site.