SFR-Bigfoot among us?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Hale, May 21, 2009.

1. BallardFred

BallardFred New Member

I am more skeptical as time goes on, with the number of people out there with cameras but no good pics. I read something in an old WA state guide book that described "large ape like creatures" by Mt St Helens, known to the Indians and settlers. It was not sensational, just a description of supposedly known creatures thought to be related to Neanderthals.

A bear in the woods in dim light + imagination = bigfoot. I have been known to make unusual loud shrieking noises in the woods.

As a person who has seen a sea monster in Ballard, I am not convinced in Bigfoot. Show me the evidence.

Now for the Ballard sea monster story. In the summer of 1972 as a teenager, a friend and I were fishing below the Ballard bridge, on an old dock by a burned out building (Seattle Cedar, possibly). You never knew what was on the end of your line - we caught rainbow and cutthroat, bluegill, bass, and yellow perch. We were sitting on the dock a couple of feet above the water, when an ENORMOUS fish swam beneath us. We looked at each other with mouths agape. DID YOU SEE THAT?!!! The fish was about 8 feet long, and quite thick, probably around 300 pounds. It meandered very slowly below us, about 3 feet under the surface, so we had time to get a good look. You don't forget a sighting like that.

Well, of course our dads did not believe us, thinking we saw a big salmon. It was no salmon, as I had caught 40 lb Chinook and know what they look like in the water. We tried to tell a few others, and they just laughed at us, so we kept quiet about it for years. I thought it could have been a big shark that was feeding on salmon at the Ballard locks, and accidentally entered through the locks. It would probably only last a few days in the fresh water, long enough to make it to the Ballard bridge.

The "sea monster" was explained in 1987, when a dead 11 foot sturgeon was found floating in the lake. I should have suspected a sturgeon as they are found in the Snohomish, but for some reason did not think of a sturgeon as a possibility. There have been numerous sightings, a five footer caught by UW Fisheries, pictures of a caught 7 foot sturgeon, and other qualified reports. I still am in contact with my friend, and he remembers it vividly. It is not known if they are remnants of when the Black River was sealed off in 1915, or if they entered through the locks. One was also found in Lake Sammamish. I would expect there is a sizable population of white sturgeon in Lake Washington, seldom seen or caught.

I now have no qualms about telling the story of the "Ballard Sea Monster", as it can be explained.:)

2. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

i believe. B.C. Canada, 1977.

3. douggus

douggus New Member

Media:
    Just a question as I'm on the fence on this...

How many of you have run across dead bear in the wild?
    How many dead Sasquatch?

Seems one argument against the possibility of their existence is never finding the remains of a dead Sasquatch - so I'm just asking?!

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

Point was made earlier, but bears are spotted alive at times, sasquatch???, seems like they always turn out to be a hoax. How come Lewis and Clark never spotted the sasquatch, or any early explorers for that matter? :confused:

5. douggus

douggus New Member

Media:
    Point well taken Porter. But Native Americans, who spent alot more time in those same woods, have countless legends (and I agree that they are only legends and not proof) that the Sasquatch did/does exist. I'm sure that Lewis and Clark and other early explorers probably missed a species or two along the way. Obviously the debate will continue - and that's the fun! I don't really ever want to know for sure - one way or the other...

6. Pez Gallo

Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Media:
    Home Page:
    Grover Krantz lived in Sequim Washington during his last years, not far from my parents home. I once saw him lecture on the subject at the Sequim Library in the mid 90's.

After he died his wife had a garage sale. My wife attended the sale and knowing that I'm a fan of the legend she bought me a number of plaster casts from Krantz's collection. ( I guess his wife was ready to get rid of all that stuff ). I ended up with a very good collecton of supposed foot imprints and even one that showed a clenched fist with thumb print. A couple of the prints have the dermal ridges that are often touted as proof of bigfoot's existence.

I've always loved the idea of bigfoot. What a cool northwest legend.

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Mysterious Monsters" from the early 70's. A TV bigfoot documentary hosted by Peter Graves. Could not get enough of that as a kid.

Anyone remember the bigfoot episode of the Six Million Dollar man?

7. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    Actually I read a book back in college that had an account of a sasquatch sighting by either lewis and clark or captn cook (things were kinda foggy in my college days). I do remember that they sighted more than one and they followed along the top of a cliff watching the expedition. that book had numerous reports from early settlers and i think that, per capita, there were more sightings back then than now. That was an old book and we weren't allowed to take it out of the library there at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. It is a fact that almost all native cultures have a man-ape, man-bear, hairy man, etc legend. It's universal. I once saw a partial print that was nothing I could identify. My brother who was trustworthy once watched what he first thought was a bear walking on hind legs and then realized that it was walking too far and too fast. He had whatever it was in sight for some time but it was at a distance. We went to look for tracks afterward but only found depressions. Obvious something large had passed but not what. I can tell you there's no chance that was some goon in a gorilla costume. No doubt most bigfoot contacts are fraudulent but only most.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

Are you perhaps thinking of Dr. Frederick Cook whose claims to have reched the North Pole a year before Peary and to have been first to ascend Mt McKinley have been dismissed as hoaxes?

9. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    I don't think so. Fredrick Cook is well known by anyone studying any history in
    Alaska. There are some doubts about his Denali claim since agents working for peary paid his companion to say they never made the climb. said companion was an alcoholic living on the streets of yellowknife at the time. at any rate Cook did travel widely in parts of Alaska that were relatively unexplored at the time, he was no wuss but maybe a liar.

The book i alluded to was very old and even had some pages that were reproductions of hand written accounts by trappers and miners with stories all the way up from washington to BC, Yukon and Alaska. Yellowed pages, dogearred cover, i can remember that the cover was a faded red. There was also a soft cover booklet that was more specific to the anchorage area up to the mantanuska and suisitna valleys.

i'm pretty sure Sarah Palin has one mounted in her living room - it was a death panel decision.

10. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what does "SFR" stand for?

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I've never seen anything that would convince me bigfoot is alive, although I have a heard things a time or two when out hunting or fishing that made the hair on my neck stand up. What I do believe is an old friend of the family, who we all called grandpa. He died a few years back, but spent basically his entire life living in the Clallam Bay area. The entire time I knew him he lived about 12 miles up the Hoko river, on the way to lake Ozette in a house he built himself. He was the true definintion of "mountain man". He seemed to know everything there was to know about the outdoors. He made his living his entire life as a logger and fern picker. He told me many detailed stories about encounters, and swore up and down that he could pick the smell of a sasquatch out of a lineup. He was a jolly old fellow who told many wild yarns, but whenever it came down to bigfoot he always got very serious. I was privledged to know him for the better part of my youth, and spent many glorious summers at his house, and if I never see any evidence of bigfoot's existance in my lifetime, I will forever be a believe thanks to his stories.

Nick

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    There are strange things done in the midnight sun
    By the men who moil for gold;
    The Arctic trails have their secret tales
    That would make your blood run cold;
    Robert Service, "The Cremation of Sam MaGee".

We've also heard from those who doubt the stories of Nessie, dwelling in the Loch of the Urquharts: maybe no, maybe yes...who's to say? I for one, suspect that the Sasquatch is a real creature. After all, most legends are based on fact. That's what made teaching medieval history such fun. OY! what's not to like about knights in (really) shining armor, damsels in distress, castles, ogres, the Black Knight, and Mel Brooks as Rabbi Tuckman! Truly this is a great thread, and I'd like to ask that there be a "Fishcamp stories" category, eh?

I realise that this is really off-topic regarding Sasquatch, but history is full of strange things, which on the surface seem impossible, and are actually true. For example, how many of you know that there are still ruined, deserted villages in France left from the Black Death in the 14th century...no one goes into them; they have an evil reputation (in the Ardennes forest, which at the time, was part of France). Another example is the fairy banner of MacLeod, from whence the "Highlander" series sprung (unfortunately). The Mac Leod are our northwestern neighbors on the Isle of Skye, in the Gaelic, the Isle of the Tired Grass. They have a cloth claimed to have come from a Fairy Princess, who gave her shawl to the son of the chief (it's always the son of the chief, isn't it??) as she left him to return to the Fairy world, telling him whoever carried the banner into battle would not be harmed. The last recorded time a scrap of Am Bratach Sibh Mac Leod was carried into battle was in the Battle of Aden, in the `60's. No one carrying a piece of it has even been scratched. Today, what's left of it hangs in Dunvegan Castle, the seat of the Mac Leods. So Bigfoot......why not??

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    SFR - Somewhat Forum Related

14. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Many years ago - 1980's I was living at Crystal Mtn. resort, we mtn biked all the trails around there frequently. One particular day I was biking w/ a buddy on the White River trail that runs between the Lower section of the Corral Pass road and Buck Creek. We saw something big hightailing it up into the woods in front of us as we came blasting around a corner. The prints were really wide apart and didn't look like bear tracks (no claws) the earth there was really soft w/ rotten logs and sand, so we couldn't really tell what it was, but the hair on the back of my neck was (and still is) standing up, kinda freaky really. That was my only encounter in all those years of living in the mtns. Kinda cool, Kinda freaky!!
    JB

15. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have a friend who looks like Bigfoot. Big, tall, ugly, hairy, loves to roam the woods. But, I don't think he is bigfoot. :)

16. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    Thanks for that translation. Someone should post a list of abbreviations and acronyms. Thanks again.
    Jay:eek:

17. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I think KerryS has him in his sled

18. otto

otto New Member

I'm with the yes crowd on this one. He's out there man!
    I think the non-believers are too busy convincing themselves that it just isnt possible.
    Someone may have already posted this link.
    I live ib an area that borders Weyerhauser property that go's forever, my wife has tried to explain some of the noises that she's heard at night... I credit them all to BF!

http://www.bfro.net/

19. cwbraue

cwbraue Member

Media:
    I think if Bigfoot's real it must be down to a very tiny population, otherwise there would be some concrete evidence by now.

There are a lot of camera traps out there looking for other animals that should have picked one up by now. Not to mention trigger happy gun owners.

20. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I would sincerely like to believe that such a creature exists. However, I cannot bring my self to accept the existence of Sasquatch without any concrete evidence. Nonetheless, I find the mystery and all of the pictures, films, sightings, foot prints, etc., to be very intriguing. If such a creature does indeed exist, then I hope that it is never found.

Regards,

Andrew