SFR: Boat rack for top of car

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Sourdoughs, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    I need to get a rack for the top of my Subaru to transport a small boat. Has anyone done this that can give me some details? Currently I'm looking into getting a Yakima roof-rack system, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks,
    - Marc

2. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    I had the thule crossbars on my pathfinder I then used tie straps to hold my pontoon down. I had two pontoons up there with no problems from Auburn up to Pass Lake.

[​IMG]

3. yo_eddy

yo_eddy New Member

I've used both Yakima and Thule for bikes and kayaks. I like the Yakima system better. Just about every Thule system I've had rusted somewhere, the Yakima has held up better. If you will be using stackers for the boat, I think the Yakima system is better as well. You can fold the stackers out of the way easier due to the round bars.

4. Sourdoughs

Media:
    I think I should clarify that the boat is an aluminum rowboat, not a kayak nor canoe.

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Yakima & Thule racks are the vogue and certainly are sexy comparatively but you should still be able to find a simple round bar rack with or without the gunnel clamps. Maybe they don't fit today's roof channeling but rather the old rain gutters, I don't know. You might try goodwill.
    Or get a standard Yakima rack (since it's a multi-use item) and either Yakima #5007 (gunwale clamps, $69 cheap), or use rope and a trucker's hitch.
    I think I still have my old bar rack and doubt I'd ever use it again. If you're interested, PM me and I'll look for it.
    g'luck

6. Sourdoughs

Media:
    Thanks, David. Would the gunwale clamps along with straps keep a boat secured tight enough to not slip forward & back?

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Our Sub is a Forester and has a factory rack, our 18' canoe rides nicely.
    I put a bar rack on the pick up to haul the canoe. I don't remember the brand but it seems like $50.00 or so was the cost. Plastic coated
    Roof rack cuts down on fuel mileage when the boat/canoe is not up there.

8. yo_eddy

yo_eddy New Member

It won't matter what it is if you use some good tie down straps. You can tie down almost anything with good straps. Most things can be tied down with two straps, but do yourself a favor, add bow and stern straps. Don't ask me how I know this.:eek:

9. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    WHAT KINDA SUBARU YOU GOT?? I HAVE A LOYALE AND USED THE YAK BARS. TIED THE BOAT ONTO MY TOW HOOKS ON THE FRONT AND BACK AND CALLED IT GOOD. I WAS USING A 12' ALUMINUM BOAT AS WELL.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Mine never slipped but I have more faith in either rope or straps. With a trucker's hitch you can get it "pucker tight" to the rack. I recommend checking it once, part way into a trip of any length. If I remember correctly the clamps would need re-tightening one time a few miles down the road. I used bow & stern ropes as well.
    Another option (& a cheap one) would be foam blocks that slip over the gunwale and would sit directly on your roof. I'm not sure that's as good as a bonafide rack for a boat with any weight to it. More of a canoe type option but worth a thought.

11. Sourdoughs

Media:

I have an Outback that has the roof rack but no "accessories". It's looking like the Yakima gunwale or bar system might work w/ straps, with the straps fore and aft for safety. Thanks for the help so far!

Ty, with the Yak bars did you use straps to keep it from moving side-to-side?

12. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, I RAN A STRAP AROUND ONE OF THE BENCHES INSIDE THE SEAT ON EITHER SIDE. MOST OF THE STABILITY IS IN HOW WELL YOU GET IT TIGHTEND DOWN ON THE FRONT AND BACK.

13. WAID

WAID New Member

Grandpa has an electric boat loader on top of his Dodge Dakota he puts a 13ft smoker craft on top and has everything else in the bed. He has a 15hp 4 stroke and has a special crane sort of thing setup so he can load and unload the motor easily by himself. He's used that basic setup(used to be a 9.9 2 stroke) for 10 or 15 years.

14. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I like Yaks too. Here is another option that I used for along time. If you have a factory roof rack and only plan on useing it for a boat now and then consider the old 2x4 U-Bolt & I-Bolt set up. I hauled boats from here to Montana many times. Total investment maybe 20 bucks.

15. Sourdoughs

Media:
    Thanks, Kevin. So far I only plan to take it locally (Beaver, Pine, Rattlesnake) and the Sub does have a factory rack!