SFR- Camera repair

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Kaari White, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Hopefully someone will know the answer to this... Where do I take my point and shoot camera to be cleaned internally?

Here's what happened. I bought a digital Cannon SD 750 (I think that's the model) two months ago and it's been a great camera so far. A couple of weeks ago I was lake fishing... I had it in my Simms waterproof hip pack that I threw in in to the front part of my fat cat and off I went...

About 45 minutes later I open up the pack to discover that the zipper is definitely not waterproof. My camera had been sitting fully submerged for all that time and was completely waterlogged.

Since then I've been drying it out and last night I finally tried it out. It works!!! It appears to be working perfectly.

However, now the internal lenses have water spots... Where can I have it fixed? Any camera store?

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    That's going to be a hard one to get fixed at a local store. Most camera store employees know less about fixing cameras than any of us. Though they might be able to direct you to someone who does do repair. I can think of a couple places in the seattle area, but I don't know if you want to mail it out.

You might try asking the question on the www.photo.net forums. Someone there will know the answer (disclosure, I work for photo.net).

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Meiers' Phototechnical Service
    11752 15th Ave NE
    Seattle, WA 98125
    206-361-0363

K

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I have saved my digital cams several times by leaving them in a Ziploc with desiccant. Give us a shoutout when they give you an estimate.

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well since you live in Seattle and not up north, I will put out a place in Everett that repairs SLR cameras. Northwest camera repair in South Everett does what you are looking for. But they don't do Digital camera's.These you have to send to the company.

Jim

7. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Media:
    Get some De-ionized water, Turn the camera on and extend the lens. remove the batteries (camera is now off with lens extended) and let it soak in the water. (Not Distilled water...) After a night of soaking, let it dry for a few days (like 4-5 minimum) with the lens still extended. After it's dry put the batteries back in and you will have a clean camera.

Scott