SFR: Camp Stove recomendations?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by jcalderon, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Hey fellas. I tried the search function and it yeilded few results. I am looking to buy a camp stove capable of cooking for 3 people, preferably two burners or better that is mildly compact. It doesnt need to be suitable for backpacking, but I drive a jeep wrangler and space is at a premium. Also, I plan on transporting it on a raft at some point, so the ease of breakdown and durability are also factors. Thanks for any and all replies

Cheers. Jesse.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have one of these "Go Anywhere" grills. Takes the green propane canisters, can connect to large canisters if you are traveling in mass gear luxury with adapter/tree. Cooks well, cooks plenty and temperature regulates very good in my opinion.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...s&Ntx=mode matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=grill&noImage=0
    I can pack my entire camping kitchen kit, fuel canisters and more inside the grill (when cool) so that it really can contain all that you might need for the mealtime that is not in your cooler or on the end of your line. I'd think that would give it a big plus for packing into your boat or jeep.

I also have one of these coleman stoves. Also used the small propane canisters and can work off a large one if you have the adapter/tree. Cooks well, small, they do have them larger and also regulates temp well. Can't "grill" on this stove, but you can put on a griddle, pot, pan, etc. Does not house the kitchen gear like the grill above but it is pretty slim when closed and packs well in my opinion.
    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5430E700&categoryid=2010

Good luck and let us know where to go and what's for dinner!

3. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

Cannot go wrong with the Coleman stove.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
  5. The Famous Grouse

The Famous Grouse New Member

I find it very difficult to beat the Coleman stoves and if you're buying a new one, buty the multi-fuel stove.

My favorite car camping stove is an old 1970s Coleman dual burner stove I picked up at a garage sale for $5. I put a new pump leather in it and it's been running ever since.

BTW, don't even bother with anything that runs off those stupid disposable propane canisters. First, you'll run out of propane whenever it's most inconvenient because it's very difficult to judge how much is left in a tank. Secondly, because you can haul a gallon of Coleman fuel in the space that it takes to store two dinky-ass little propane tanks. By comparison, that gallon of fuel will cook 2 meals a day for 4 people for about two weeks. 2 disposo cylinders might last maybe 3 days, so they're very wasteful.

I run Coleman fuel, even in Dual Fuel models of stoves and lanterns. It burns cleaner, hotter, and I've heard that running unleaded gasoline does reduce the life of the generator. If buying a new stove, I would get dual fuel just because it's nice to know that if you've got a gas station, you've got fuel for your stove.

Grouse

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If space is really at a premium, you might consider the little single burner (white gas or multi fuel) Coleman. It's slightly heavy as a backpacker goes, but I used one for years. If you want two burners, get two stoves. They are compact. The fuel is cheaper than disposable propane or butane. They cook really well, from a low simmer to a flaming Krakatoa volcano. You search long and hard to find as good a stove(s) that pack smaller or lighter. And no problems cooking for 3 people or more.

Sg

7. s2ary

s2ary Member

I like the Flaming Krakatoa Volcano analogy...That's funny stuff.:beer2:

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I use a Camp Chef 2-burner . . . big, but breaks-down well, I can both grill & cook on it, and I drive a Wrangler (thank God float tubes deflate!).

9. 2506

2506 Active Member

Brinkman 2 burner is what I've got. Very compact, and it's stainless so it cleans up nice. Runs on the green bottled gas. About $50 at GI Joes.

10. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

After we were married 41 years ago(Sept 14), we bought our first 2 pieces of camping gear. A Coleman ice chest and a Coleman 2 burner stove. That stove is still going strong after all these years. Only two changes over time-full length hardwood rails on the bottom to make the stove more stable and the propane conversion so we can use 5 gallon bottles or gas either one. An excellent product built well enough to pass the test of time.

Ive

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

.....I forgot to mention that I bought the Coleman oven to go with it. I have baked biscuits, cornbread and lots and lots of cookies in that funky oven and somehow they always seem to taste better at a campsite somewhere.....

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Two options you could go with. Of course they're camp chef (go figure ;) ). You can go the Yukon 2 burner route. Buy the two burner flattop for it. You can cook anything on it from burgers and steaks, then hashbrowns and eggs in the AM. But if you want an all around like Ive mentioned, they have their new outdoor camp oven. Two burners on top and a working oven on the bottom. Can use the adapter and put a big propane tank on it (you can get buy for a bit with the smaller one gallon tanks, I don't mean the small disposable colemans, but the actual small one gallon tanks). Either way, won't take a ton of room, and you will get all the cooking done you can imagine. But the tahoe with either the reversible cast iron griddle/grill or the actual restaurant grade flattop are awesome to work with. Then you can add grill box later on. Still won't take up that much room. I had three stoves, one camp oven, 4 tanks and ALL the flattops, griddles, and grillboxes for all of them in a small area in the bed of my full sized pickup. I was still able to toss in 3 100Qt+ coolers and all my camping gear in with it (all my fishing gear was stowed in the driftboat).
    [​IMG]

14. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Jesus Jerry.. You and I need to hang out on the river. You would be pretty handy in hunting camp too.

Any chance you can get me a demo of one of those for the Grand Ronde? I promise that it would get the thorough "Three weeks on the lower Grande Ronde" shakedown.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    HOLY CRAP, this fat kid loves to eat. If Jerry packs that thing I'm following him!

16. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    Lets go camping Jerry :thumb: daaaaaaaaaaamn.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

This was my setup from a couple weeks ago. Was camp cook of course, but also was fishing all weekend too (can do both). Mostly since usually won't cook a lunch. Will be up at 4am cooking breakfast, then back at camp around 430pm to 6pm to cook. So I get my fishing in. This was setup for dinner. :)

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, and yes, I've done a plenty Elk and deer camps.

I'm not an employee of Camp Chef. I mostly test their products, and do some shows for them. I don't have a ton to lend out, but once I build up more product, could let you test drive the camp oven. I just am still tinkering with it myself. :)

19. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

That is a sweet looking rig Jerry! Does the oven hold 450 degrees well? I would sure like to try a sourdough boule in that baby.......

Ive

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ive, haven't cranked it up that hot yet. Only used it at low to keep things warm or around 350 to do biscuits for fresh made sausage gravy. Will have to experiment and let you know.