(SFR) Camping/Fishing in Coastal BC

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by SteelieD, Jan 21, 2007.

1. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Anyone have any experience camping in BC? I'd like to take the family for camping trip this summer somewhere along the coast in southern BC. I am trying to keep it within a 4-5 hour drive of Seattle. Fishing is a big consideration and I'd like to get the kids (8 & 6) into some fish too. We'd be tent/car camping.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I've looked into the region a bit, but the trouble is, road access is fairly limited. For better access and abundant and diverse fishing opportunity I would think about Vancouver Island.

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Tofino on Vancouver Island would be a little more than 4 hours from Seattle but some of that would be a ferry ride so it is easier on the kids. Last time I was there was in June and we caught plenty of coho and SRCs in the salt water. It was all tidal and the bite lasted for no more than 20 mins but great fun passing the time, drinking beer all day waiting for the action. I am told it can rain A LOT there but when I have gone it was sunny and we camped on the beach. Surfing there too.

4. Alastair

Alastair New Member

Not sure how long you're planning to go for, but I'd recommend the Sunshine Coast, a short Ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay (Just the other side of Vancouver). There is some reasonable fishing (salt and fresh) between Gibsons and the north end of the Sechelt Peninsula. Good camping too. From there you could take another Ferry up towards Powell River, where there will be better lake fishing (and more camping). Another ferry takes you across to Vancouver Island at Comox, drive down the Island (and fish the Cowichan - not prime time though) to Victoria and have your choice of ferries Back to Vancouver or to Port Angeles.

5. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    I would agree with the tofino man. Its rad, big surf, quaint little coastal villages for surfing or ammenities. Shopping if the wife gets down like that. I've camped in some really sweet places just shy of there that are loaded with coho and src. It is a long drive though, maybe 4 hours from victoria, but if you take the horseshoe bay ferry (in north van) to nanaimo its about half that. that would be my recommendation. for specific campgrounds pm me, there are some sweet spots.

6. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Media:
    Another spot to consider is Port Renfrew on West Vancouver Island. It is at the end of the road west out of Victoria. Lot's of good camping areas right close to the beach or improved spots in town. Good fishing for SRC's and Summer run steel in the San Juan or Gold rivers or springers and halibut in the ocean. Good times to be had.

http://www.portrenfrew.com/