SFR Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by jessejames, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    As a side note: I've heard the horror stories of people dunking their cameras, and thought I would share the precaution I take. First of all, I always keep it around my neck in it's case with the zipper closed (if I'm wading then I make sure it rests high up on my chest). Then when I need to take a picture, I open it, slide my hand through the teather(sp?) attached to the camera, then remove it from the case. When I'm done shooting, I put it back into the case, slip my hand from the teather, then close the case. The only way I can dunk it is if it goes down with me!

2. hopper_chu

hopper_chu New Member

Try the Sony... one of the few out there has VERY short shuttle delay and LONG battery life.

hopper

3. windtickler

windtickler Member

Or like in my case, the camera, tethered and in my top wader pocket, plopped out into the Sound when I bent over to unhook a fish (still around my neck, still wet). Now I carry it in a ziploc baggy in my coat pocket under the waders.

4. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Thank you for all of the feedback....Seems like they are few cameras out there that would fit the bill riding shotgun in my pack. Pentax, Cannon and Nikon seems to be the leading brand from everyone's input here

Bought my wife a Sony DSC-W5 like two years ago and it's a nice camera but for me I'm still torn. More input would be great but based on these response I'm closing in

I thought the best lens out there was Canon...

Your the second to recommend Nikon..... I kinda gave it the boot early but I'll do another comparsion.

5. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Not to add more complexity, btu often the lenses are not made by the manufacturer of the camera. For instance, in some of their cameras Sony uses a Zeiss (I think) lens, very good but not made by Sony. So, it would be benfeicial to compare specific models and not just brands.

Willie

6. Desmond Wiles

Media:
    Nikon has their famous Nikkor lenses on most, if not all of their point and shoot cameras. I'm no expert, but was sold on Nikon by a friend and have heard photogrophy teachers recomend them.

7. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    WT- Thanks for the feedback what Power shot do you own?

8. windtickler

windtickler Member

I own the A510, but they seem to come out with new models to replace the old ones on like a monthly basis. The 510 replaced the A70.

9. Rick Newcomb

Rick Newcomb New Member

Home Page:
    I have the Nikon 7900 coolpix, very small package, not waterproof or resistant. 7.2 megapixels let you crop the picts and still have a clear image so the 3x zoom is not a problem. It has instant capture for 5 picts in a row. Got it for 310.00 at Buydig.com, an extra 140.00 for battery, 1 gig high speed card, case, battery charger, card reader, ect. It takes great picts and fits in a shirt pocket easily. I had a Minolta s404 which is a great camera 4 years ago. Dunked it this summer in Montana, after a week it started working again and still does.

10. windtickler

windtickler Member

Okay, suffering from insomnia and channel surfing last night I hit one of those sales channels. They had the "ultimate" fishing camera. The Pentax Optio. 5MP, can take up to 1 hr of video, will shoot underwater to depths of 5', retails for $350 on clearance for $260 (that means if one person has it on sale, everybody has it on sale try www.newegg.com).
    It's still not the fastest thing out there, but they showed 3 pictures in a row of somebody jumping off the edge of a pool. I can't vouch for that, but if it really is that fast (they kind of talked around the actual speed) it would be fast enough.

11. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Another Pentax vote.....hmm thanks WT I will check it out.

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm coming in late and haven't read the entire thread (but will when I have a bit more time). I'm interested since I lost a nice Olympus last year due to salt water (late Orca splash at Sea World = toast). Replaced the Olympus with a Nikon coolpix (not sure of model #) which I like much much more than the O. Nikon just has the ergonomics down(!) by comparison and their optics are as good as any out there. However, I am very interested in the Pentax for a fishing camera. I don't plan on going swimming with it but you never know, and a splash can be fatal too, especially warm salt water. (Jeeze, I'd like to do some of that.)
    Sorry for chiming in half baked (but thats normal).

13. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    I just ordered a Pentax Optio WP 5mp a few days ago off of Amazon.
    $277.00 + a $30.00 mail in rebate. A friend of mine has had this camera
    for the last 4-5 months and loves it. Rain no problem, quick dunk no problem.
    They say it is good for 1/2 hour at 5'. Perfect for quick underwater shots when landing fish or rainy Washington winter and spring Steelheading.

14. Desmond Wiles

Media:
    The underwater feature for the price of the Pentax Optio WP sounds too good to pass up Jabs. My coolpix4600 has an underwater mode, but you have to buy the $200 protective case! So if underwater photogrophy is something you're looking for, go with the pentax.

15. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    pay attention to what everyone on this post is saying about water and digital cameras. Digital cameras are so sensitive to water. Some will even die from using them with damp/wet hands... seriously! If you cannot find an underwater/waterresistant camera or cant afford one, put your camera in 2 ziplocks and do not put the camera back in the bags if theres any moisture in them at all.

16. windtickler

windtickler Member

If you dunk a digi in fresh water, sometimes if you shut it off, take out the batteries and let it dry, it will work. I've done this several times. One second in salt though, toasted it. One of my friends from the military suggested running it through the dishwasher and drying it, then turning it on, but it still didn't work (this apparently is SOP for expensive military equipment).

Whatever you get, opt for one of those "we will replace whatever happens" insurance policies for $30 or whatever. I have 3 dead digis sitting right in front of me on my desk and in retrospect those warranties seem brilliant.

Oh, and for those who take SLRs to the river, here is another cool thing I found:
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_Rover.aspx