SFR Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by TrappedinCO, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I'll sell you a canon XTi pretty cheap

2. Jon Bial

Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Home Page:
    As a gear junkie, I own a point and shoot digital, a D90 SLR with 18-200 VR and a Contax G2 rangefinder film camera. All have there place.

For fishing, I don't want to worry about batteries, and nothing beats the images from the Contax. Yeah, it's film, so I have to wait on processing and scanning, but it's still cheaper than playing the keep up with the digital game.

For shots of my kid and family, it's the D90. Same sensor as the D300 and I can shoot fast, furious and often. The convenience of digital outweighs the superiority of film.

Last, the diaper bag always has the point and shoot Casio Exilim in the side pocket. Theoretically, I should never miss a shot!

Anyone buying a camera should check out Ken Rockwell's site. http://www.kenrockwell.com

Jon

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Thanks for the tip on the Rockwell site.

Here's another site that I feel does an especially good job reviewing Canon gear (although just pro and prosumer models): http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

It's also worth noting that they offer camera bodies and lenses for rent, an inexpensive way to spend some time with a camera/lens combination you might be thinking about but before buying.

For those interested in using or trying out additional models besides Canon, you might consider http://www.lensrentals.com/for-all. The 5DmkII I played with the other week came from there.

K

4. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Rockwell definitely leans towards Nikon and pretty opinionated but he does know his stuff. try www.dpreview.com

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    yea i second dpreview, by far the best review reasource i have ever found.

6. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
  7. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    Ken Rockwell seems pretty high on the Nikon D40. Any of you guys shoot this camera? Can't beat the price.

There you go, cross-posted with the above.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the D40x which Rockwell isn't that high on. As a matter of fact I think he says to not buy the 40x and buy the 40 instead. I can't remember why exactly but it has to do with the trade off of more pixels and lower ISO to acheive the same quality of shot. It's all over my head. Anyway the D40x is a very good camera to enter into the DSLR world. Two things; it requires lenses with a built in focus motor because the body doesn't have one which limits the lenses you can use if you rely on auto focus and with the 40's viewfinder you will need auto focus. Second the 40s don't have some of the advanced features that say a D90 or better would have. For one that is bugging the crap out of me and likely will force me to step up to the D90 is the lack of any bracketing feature. Another would be DOF preview. The lack of these features, a few others, and the lack of an in body auto focus motor has got me moving up.

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Kerry, are the lenses you have with in-lens focus motors compatible with newer bodies that have in-body motors?

K

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, the Nikor AF-S lenses with the AF motor will work with bodies that also have built-in AF. Lenses that do not have a built AF motor can be used with the D40, D40x, and D60 but you have to use manual focus. Also there are some Sigma lenses that have an AF motor which work on the D40s and the D60. There may be a few other third party lenses with built in AF motors.

11. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

Others above have posted more than enough on technical and since I can't realy speak to that anyways, I will tell you my experience. My wife and I own a Nikon D80 that we bought about 3 years ago. It came with a 18-135MM lens and my wife digs macro photography and has a lens for that as well. I recently bought a used 70-300MM lenns for those longer shots.

So far, we love the D80; I love the speed of taking pictures and the image quality is amazing as well. The only downside so far is that is much heavier and difficult to take places. It is almost like having another backpack.

Cheers

12. Kent Lufkin

Media:

By way of an update, I met a real estate developer client last evening in Kirkland to shoot the Seattle skyline at sunset over Lake Washington for a web site promoting a piece of property he's marketing. I tripod mounted the 40D and shot RAW + JPEG files with a variety of different lenses, 10-22mm, 17-85mm, 70-200mm, and 100-400mm. I also shot my new G10 just for giggles.

I processed a half dozen candidate images this morning with Adobe CS4 Camera Raw. The 10mp 40D images opened nicely into 27mb Photoshop files, but each required 5 minutes or so of spotting to compensate for sensor dust (even with the sensor cleaning feature on the body.)

The 14mp G10 images opend up to 49mb Photoshop files and were literally stunning when compared with almost identical shots taken with the bigger DSLR. The amount of detail that Canon has been able to pack into that camera's tiny sensor (about 1/4 the size of the 40D's) is astounding.

For someone who might be considering a DSLR but is hesitating because of cost (and their sensor-based dust attraction systems), I'd highly recommend the $500 G10.

K

13. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

Photographer Ken Rockwell is a good source of information.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/
    see RECOMMENDED CAMERAS on the home page....along with a ton of other useful information.

One of the especially good things is that he is always looking for performance AND value along with the fact that he is not exclusively(sp) biased to only one brand.
    good luck

14. Corey Kruitbosch

Corey Kruitbosch Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Really not much to add.. Other than maybe to go out and look @ photos, that are taken with a specific lens, that have a 'look' that you like. Flickr groups are good for finding tons of photos taken with a specific lens. Also, when you find a photo that you like ... peep the exif data, if you can. It will give you all the settings from that photo and good idea of how the photo was taken.

I always carry my dslr on the river with me and have almost as much fun taking photos as fishing. If you do want to carry yours on the river, insurance is cheap! I have an xti, a bunch of glass, and a 50d on the way. I think I'll be sitting on the 50d for a while. At least until HD video gets good :eek:

15. sroffe

sroffe Member

Lots of good suggestions.

I bought my Nikon D70 for a our family trip to the UK about 4 years ago. I was really glad I did. I use the 24 - 70 lens that came with it mostly. I feel it's risky taking it fishing with me, but, I have a water proof bag, and keep it in the boat. I'll take it out for the Kodak moment and stuff it back into the bag for safe keeping. So far it's been worth the risk. I've gotten some excellent shots.

It was interesting, the other day I over heard a camera salesman at a reputable store say that it's hard to compare apples to apples with Canon and Nikon at the similar price points, since the features differ so much between the two. I don't know if that is true. If that is the case, and if don't have a preference between Canon or Nikon, it may pay to figure out your budget, and then shop for the features you want.

Have fun.

Sam

16. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    I'd have to agree with Kent on the G10. The best camera is the one you have with you, and lugging around a big DSLR can be a pain. The interchangeable lens argument looses traction if you are talking about low to mid level DSLRs because the good glass starts at $1k+ if you are talking about Nikon/Canon. Most folks won't spend 2X the cost of a their body on glass. Someone mentioned primes. A nifty 50 is the way to go if you want fast glass but don't have a ton of cash for lenses. The zoom is your feet. But the G10 does what a mid level DLSR does in half the size for half the price. By far the most crucial bit of camera gear is between your ears. A well composed, well exposed photo that has something to say shot with a P&S is far better than tired, boring photos of the same old shit with a full frame rocket ship.