SFR: Frustrations of flyfishing on Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    1. You launch your boat but forget to put the drain plug in. "Duh" :ray1:

2. It takes you 20 minutes to untangle your line while your fishing buddy "keeps calmly" asking your for the land net!:beathead:

3. You have a strong wind coming across your casting shoulder and you either: (1) have your line end up in a heap 25 ft. away, (2) stick your fly in the back of your inflatable vest, (3) have a "new" unique ear ring above the "other one".:eek:

4. You forget to refill the gas tank after the previous trip, so you humbly/sheepishly have to buy gas from a waterfront homeowner to get back to the boat ramp.:ray1:

5. You are fishing 150 yards "up current" from another angler and he yells at you for "low holing" him. :confused:

6. Was it a bait fish, bird, or salmon swirl? You and your fishing buddy spend the rest of the day argueing about swirls. :rolleyes:

7. Your fishing buddy habitually stands on your fly line on the bottom of the boat. Is it intentional? So you reciprocate!:confused: :cool:

Sorry that you had to put up with this "drool" but you were warned by the SFR notation. So please no flaming!

Roger
  2. Sterling silver Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Roger,

Sounds like a typical day on the salt. Could it be that its all the fishing partner's fault? I've done all the same things, just not all on the same day. (I guess it isn't the partner's fault.)

Sterling
  3. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 1
    You forgot the one about finally locating a school of fish that are rolling and jumping..................you lay out a nice cast, let it sink a bit..........you start your retrieve and you just "feel" a strike coming your way..........and then "arf! arf! arf!" a 900,000 pound 36 foot long Sea Lion pops his head up with "your" fish in his mouth.

I wish they would all go back to the circus and balance beach balls on their noses like they are supposed to.............:clown:
  4. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    How about finally locating a pod of spooky coho sipping euphasids, spending 15 minutes to silently row out and around to get above them, and your guest repeatedly drops his reel, then his fly box, thermos, anvil etc., on the bottom of the boat. :beathead:
  5. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Or locating some salmon moving along the beach only to have a buzz bomb chucking yahoo come along and spook the fish.

Or fishing a beach for SRCs and some people come along and start skipping rocks around you.

But my favorite is getting a huge wind knot in your line when you haven't seen any fish all day, and then as you are hopelessly engaged in your frustratious knot....a bunch of fish start jumping and feeding infront of you.:mad:
  6. I enjoy the freighters and crusie ships going way too fast and the rollers that result, while I am trying to relieve myself over the side of the boat.

Also forgetting to keep an extra quart of oil just in case I need to refill somewhere unexpected.

Dropping a crab pot and thinking it is on the bottom. Or coming back and knowing it has been stolen because the tide is actually dropping.

These are a few of my favorite things.
  7. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Josh,
    Those rollers were not that big, puss. And for everyone else, you bitch too much at least you got to go fishing. How about time the time when have not been fishing in six weeks because of law school exams. You cancel your Friday trip to the OP because your fishing buddy wants you to fish with him on Saturday, begs you not to go, only to find out that your trip to the OP is not going to happen because your fishing buddy bails on you nine hours before you are suppose to leave because he forgot that his wife made an appointment for them both to get massages that day. Then I have to go to Vegas for the next week to spend Christmas with the in-laws. Fishing in schedule for Dec. 27th, that will be 58 days without fishing. I am not bitter…well not much!

Not all bad, today my wife and I drove to Zion National Park for the day. Spent about sevens hours in the park hiking three different trails. Beautiful area, I cannot wait to go back and fish next time. If you have not been to Southern Utah I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Happy Holidays and Konichiwa Bitches!
  8. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Or when, while preparing to launch my skiff for a day of salmon slammin', the parking brake on my rig wasn't fully set, and my truck (still loaded with gear), with boat and trailer attached went into the drink.

Anon
  9. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Nick,
    I feel your pain on the time between trips...However in response to this quote:
    "You cancel your Friday trip to the OP because your fishing buddy wants you to fish with him on Saturday, begs you not to go, only to find out that your trip to the OP is not going to happen because your fishing buddy bails on you nine hours before you are suppose to leave because he forgot that his wife made an appointment for them both to get massages that day. "

If that guy was my bud, I would have told him he could reschedule the wife thing, or forget about fishing with me again...

Oh, and I would certainly give him a subscription to this magazine for Christmas...

Ho, Ho, Ho,

Griswald