SFR: Gas Prices and Fishing Trips

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 509, Apr 22, 2008.

1. 509

509 New Member

At a conference about five years someone asked me about the effect of increasing gas prices on peoples recreational activities. At that time, gas prices were skyrocketing to the unheard of price of almost $2.00 per gallon.

Well, my answer was that it would be the availability of gas not the price that would affect recreational travel plans. No matter the price most folks would pay it to get away for the weekend and vacation. Their recreational activities were to important to miss.

Well, we are now in uncharted ground. Gas prices are now higher in real terms than in 1979. Gasoline consumption is down 1% year over year. It looks like there are fewer people traveling this spring in eastern Washington. Of course, that might be due the cold, snowy spring in Washington.

So the question is: Are you going to travel just as much this year??

Did you cut back on commuting expenses, by taking public transit?? Are you just paying for gas and cutting back elsewhere??

The real question is at $4.00 per gallon are we going to make changes in our daily lives or in our weekend lives? How important is fishing to you??

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    If anyone hasn't seen the documentary on the History Channel, it is called "CRUDE". It is very good piece of history. It actually is on today I think at 1:00 PM. It is worth watching. Of course we are "cutting" back our trips, etc.

3. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
  4. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I won't cut back. I may have to consider car-pooling, though. Generally speaking, I prefer to fish alone, but I will say that this winter season on the skagit was costing me $$$. 3hrs round trip from Bham, day after day. For the GR, Methow, OP, etc... I'll be sure to be going for 3+ days at a time.

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Public transportation! saves me about 60$ a week which goes into driving on the weekends.

6. Finspot

Finspot New Member

Home Page:
    I've been cutting back. When I was a kid I made a half-dozen or more x-country roadtrips. These voyages didn't seem at all profligate, they seemed like part of the American tradition. We didn't think about the cost of fuel or the use of it. I'm guessing my kids will inherit a different tradition, a different mindset.

Finny

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

The troubling thing is that millions of new drivers in China on the rise, in better economy.........

Gas prices are cheap right now!!!

I will see you at the Thunderdome!

As for my trips, hasn't changed much yet as I have been hardly fishing with the rivers being closed.

8. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    While I grumble at the pump about my ranger's gas mileage, in reality, other aspects of my life dictate when I get to go fishing more than gas prices do. Wife, baby on the way, job, family, etc. Gas prices aren't great, but I'll take any fishing trip I can get.

9. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    I'm sticking close to Seattle this summer. Going out to the bars after dropping 50 on gas really hurts. If anyone wants to carpool out of Seattle it'd be awesome.

I'm considering getting a more fuel efficient car. VW is coming out with their clean desiels in 09.

10. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    when a variety of industries were deregulated, think airlines, phone company, pharmaceuticals and, yes, gas and oil, what we started to experience was corporate greed. while the CEOs were getting fat, along with a few cronies, service, remember that?, when down the toilet.

the media beatings the drum about consumption, china, india and so on is just so much smoke to cover what is actually going on, obscene profit taking. if it were a question of 'supply and demand' we would not see oil companies posting record multi BILLION dollar profits each and every quarter.

no, what needs to happen is RE-REGULATION of the gas and oil industry. the government, in a capitalistic society, needs to step in for the common good and take control. nothinig short of that is going to solve the issue with gas and oil. price controls is where this has to go if there is ever going to be any relief for the consumer.

of course, there is not a single politician with the balls to take this on including our 2 'do nothing' senators.

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, the fuel prices affect me. I bitch about it all the time, even while driving somewhere to fish. Same with the weather. Now my wife has told me there are two topics no open for discussion: Weather and fuel prices.

12. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Scary to think of the more wide-spread economic effects...beyond just our own tanks. Price at the pump is only the tip of it.

13. HauntedByWaters

Drink Olympia! That is what I do when I go out in Seattle.

Also, hit me up if you are ever around Bellingham. We got bass fishing and cheap beer to spare right here in town on Lake Whatcom.

My plan is to master smallies this summer on the fly, fishing Lake Whatcom in my Clackacraft.

I would still go with the VW turbo diesels from 2000-2006 (whenever it was they stopped). That engine is widely considered to be one of the most safe/sound/servicable engines EVER. It is very much the same turbo diesel as in the Mercedes turbo diesel wagons from the 80s that are bullet proof.

I say this because that new VW engine, while a step in the right direction, probable will have some kinks to work out over the next several generations of cars. The turbo diesel VW was using before has the best reputation of pretty much any engine PERIOD. Those are fantastic cars.

14. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

Its too bad diesel going to be $5 a gallon by then.:beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead:

15. HauntedByWaters

Yeah but those cares get 50 MPG+

16. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    Obviously I would need to see if the mpg vs fuel cost would offset buying a new vehicle. I'm sure there will be more options in the immediate future.

I'm just glad I live in the city and don't need to depend on my car to get to work.

17. cj6530

cj6530 Member

no, what needs to happen is RE-REGULATION of the gas and oil industry. the government, in a capitalistic society, needs to step in for the common good and take control. nothinig short of that is going to solve the issue with gas and oil. price controls is where this has to go if there is ever going to be any relief for the consumer.

of course, there is not a single politician with the balls to take this on including our 2 'do nothing' senators.[/QUOTE]

Take control of what? the USA is a net importer or oil. I guess the USA could regulate what the Domestic oil producers sell their crude oil at...but that would stop all USA invesment and exploration tommorow which would just make the problem worse. Also that would crush the USA stock market which would hurt your 401Ks and pension plans.

18. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

Does that make it right to price gouge the consumer. no! This fuel situation is part of the reason this country is in the recession to begin with. It will keep people at home. Which in return hurt the little towns and communities the need the revenue generated by tourists to keep them afloat during this time. So basically its a whole snowball effect. lets just hope whoever is in the white house next doesn't have any oil ties and might do something about it.

19. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    The way diesel is going up, it will be at $5 a gallon by August. Waiting until '09 to hit that mark would be a dream in my book.

20. Basttige

Basttige BOOYA

The prices definitely make trips that I would normally be willing to go for just the day, not really an option. Now I really don't want to drive an extended distance unless I am heading out Friday night so that I can get in a solid two days of fishing. I have already felt the pinch from fuel costs and traded in my glorious Toyota Tacoma (which I loved) for a Subaru that can still get me places but with great fuel economy.

Carpooling is definitely key, there's a lot of places I would be willing to drive and fish solo but simply won't because of the cost. Maybe there should be a Trip planing/Carpooling forum so its easier for people to hook up for weekend trips