SFR: Gas Prices and Fishing Trips

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 509, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    That's not a bad idea.

2. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    That'd be really cool especially since the posts wouldn't clutter up the main board.

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

With the rivers closed now it's not too bad. I can't get excited about fishing lakes so I have a hard time justifying a long drive to fish 'em. I thought about Pass Lake today...$3.65/gallon, 20mpg, 1 hour + drive...for trout. Maybe I'll take my bike for a spin.
    I'm sure my friends and I will be more coordinated in our fishing plans so we can carpool in the future. I'll be in a position to get a second vehicle before too long, and it will be a small 4cyl something or other, just like everyone is looking for right now. :beathead:

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

To all Bellinghampsters, like I said, Lake Whatcom in the summer can be KILLER for small mouth bass and trout and is only a 5 minute drive.

Hope you don't mind power boats, but than again maybe they will be fewer this year with gas prices what they are.

5. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I usually don't drive more than an hour to fish, and that's a stretch. The farthest I usually go is the Elwha, and I don't get out there too often.
    -Ethan

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

View attachment 13804

Regardless of adjustment for "real" dollars, as though there were such a thing, the precipitous increase in gas prices, real or otherwise, over the last 4 or so years, shown on the graph, is hardly what any of us would deem to be acceptable. Forget fuel prices, anyone who believes this is acceptable needs to be very concerned that the price of kool-aid doesn't do the same.

Double up, take a buddy fishing, car pool. Don't reduce your fishing, but make sure oil companies don't unnecessarily profit when you do.

The only "real" dollars are the ones that you have in your pocket, or more importantly the ones you don't have when it comes time to pay your bills. Never before has fishing been quite so important.

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm going to start riding my bicycle to work and save the fuel for the weekends.
    This winter I put a hitch on the subbie.
    24 mph pulling the boat.

8. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    cj, you simply determine a 'fair' ROI. something like say 30% as opposed to 500%-600%. the cost of production has not changed very much for decades. what we are seeing is SPECULATION on futures. what that means is folks are driving up the future price of a barrel of crude in order to make HUGE profits.

pretty straight forward and our government would be working in our best interests. and, NO, the sky will not fall, the earth will not stop turning, the one and only thing that would happen with price controls on the gas and oil industry is a reduction of $$ at the pump.

9. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    It affects my daily work and my weekend work. I sell houses and I used to get up and see the new inventory, I don't keep up on that anymore, too costly. The weekend trips are kinda out too. I drive my SUV to a local fishing place and keep it cheap, I have to.
    I've been looking into other more economical cars but haven't found the right one yet. Plus my car is paid for and I don't want/can't afford a payment right now.

10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    You would think that someone would figure out how to "stimulate the economy" by reducing the price of diesel. High diesel prices, high trucking costs, leads to higher food prices, and on and on...

11. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98 Member

I used to tow my boat w/my outback, but recently got an S-10 Blazer that gets better mileage.Yea, Im gonna be choosy about where I go to fish because of the damn ga$. Just live on smack-ramen and go fishin more!

12. wolverine

wolverine Member

No more long distance day trips for me. I used to think nothing of driving 4+ hrs, fish 8-10 hrs and drive home. The next day I might have done another trip in the opposite direction. Now its going to be 2-3 day trips for me. I don't care if gas goes to $10/gallon. I'm still going to go fishing, but I'll stay longer. Car pooling is also definately an option.

13. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Amie now drives my truck to work on her Kent to Renton commute and I drive her car for Kent to Seattle commute. We also take the car rather then the truck more often for grocery and other store runs when we know every thing will fit into the car.
    We are also looking into new curtains for the house. Looking at getting the thermal / sound proof thick curtains for some rooms and honeycomb blinds for the other rooms to switch out the light wispy grade curtains that came with the house and to complement the double pane windows the house came with. My old condos energy bill went from $180 per month energy bill down to $90 per month energy bills in the winter, just by switching window coverings even though it had double pane windows.
    We also is talking about taking our vacation to one area to fish and site see thoroughly rather then fishing and seeing a new spot every day.
    As for weekend trips we do not plan to make any changes to at this time and will just budget for the extra $9 per weekend in gas each trip with the saving by switching cars for our weekly driving. We figure the switching of cars saves us $25 per week in gas cost so we are still money ahead till gas hits $4.75 Gal.

14. Mike McCluskey

Mike McCluskey Macker of the Clan Campbell

Anyone wonder how much of the increase in a barrel of oil is due to the devaluation of the USD? Since the dollar has fallen across the board to most other currencies by close to 30%, and since oil is purcahsed with USD, wouldn't that mean that the producers need to get a bit more for their product to make up for this fall?

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My closest gas station is about 18 miles from my house. So when I go fill up I waste a gallon just coming home from there.

I just did a trip to Washington and back and I totaled up my cost of gas and I spent about $350.00 for gas and I didn't bat an eye. The most I paid on my trip was $3.59.9 and that was in Forks. I'm coming back to Washington at the end of June. God forbid the cost of gas by then.

So from where I live to go fishing is always a way away I don't worry about the price of gas. I just wince when I pay $35 to $40 to fill up the truck.

I just love to spend money on gas. bawling: This way I won't spend a lot on food and will soon lose weight. :thumb:

Jim:beathead::beathead:

16. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    While it's true that gasoline is at it's highest price ever, adjusted for constant dollars, it's also true that the amount people are now paying for gasoline as a percentage of their household income is at it's lowest point ever. Put another way, while the price of gas has indeed increased, the average American's earning power has increased even more.

K

17. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    We have altered our driving habits. Drive less during the week leave the truck at home and take the econo car. This will leave more gas for the weekend trips. I also will put a hitch on the econo car and tow the inflatables for day trips to the rivers for fishing and rafting. I have been working too darn long to get to a point in my life to fish and recreate more I am going to try real hard to not let the gas price affect that. I know I will go for more 2-3 day trips and maybe not go every weekend for the day. But I am going to go. It may take more trips to the plasma center to buy the gas.:eek:
    I thought about car pooling but none of my fishing partners like to ride blindfolded and all of my fishing spots are secret.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Blessings
    jesse clark

18. bjgavin

bjgavin Member

Why is it that everytime a company gets "too" profitable, people start getting their panties in a bunch. And whoever said this is not about supply and demand... huh? This is completely about supply and demand, and my guess is that prices could go a fair amount higher before demand really starts to drop off, but supply isn't going to change much.

The beauty about our economy is that people that create companies that provide products or services that are the best get rewarded for it. The goverment facilitates success in that manner and doesn't hinder it with things like price fixing. This kind of environment also promotes innovation. Do you think if the government fixed gas prices at $2.00 a gallon hybrid cars and alternative fuel cars would be such a big thing right now? Nope, but the global oil supply would still be falling by the same rate. The great thing about our government staying out of business is that when prices start to get too high for consumers, other businesses are always right there to start figuring out how to provide better alternatives, because consumers are more than happy to take their money elsewhere.

Price fixing would be a short-term solution to a long-term problem and goverment is the least efficient "business" I can think of. If it gets too involved we are going to be in a world of hurt down the road that makes $4.00 a gallon seem like a stroll in the park. In 30 years we are going to have great alternatives to gasoline because of the fact that government didn't get involved.

And no I won't cut back on fishing. Gas prices have a long way to go before they are that high.

19. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Will I cut back on fishing because of this ? Nope !!! I'd crawl a mile through the tunnel that Tim Robbins did in Shawshank redemption before I'll stop fishing !!!!

20. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Gas prices won't reduce my fishing time. I'll just cut back on all the other stuff I end up piss money away on.