SFR: Gas Prices and Fishing Trips

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 509, Apr 22, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I think they could cut off the subsidies for one.

I am not arguing with you here but a side point is this:

A lot of people think this country is capitalist and the system works beautifully but when you look at what is actually going on it isn't like that at all. Once these companies become hugely profitable and basically run the show in their sector, they lobby the government to keep them there with extra help and extra hookups and the government almost always comes through under the guise of protecting "thousands of jobs" and what not while the execs get more money.

I am all for capitalism but that isn't what is happening in this country anymore. It is government bought and government payed stability for the old goliaths.

Who around here even thinks about starting a potentially huge business? It isn't even a consideration these days because everything is entrenched mostly because the government is way too involved.

If I were to have a hugely successful idea, my business would be attacked by competitors and government because I would risk changing the system and change is really scary to guys making billions.

The truth is fortunes will be lost and jobs will be lost, but new fortunes and new jobs will be made. Everyone sees huge job losses as a bad thing but that isn't very capitalist right?

In fact a lot of these large companies would have gone under if it weren't for the government helping them and stiffling the competition before "thousands of jobs are lost." There are many examples of times when smaller newer technologies almost through the telecom companies off the tracks but government stepped in with some kind of regulation.

If someone somehow made a car that ran on air it would be shut down faster than you can blink because think of the job losses all over the gasoline chain and the billions of profits down the drain for government and execs.........BUT government stepping in isn't capitalist AT ALL right? But it would happen.

I am telling you, the big time bankers and execs that tell you capitalism is a blessing are hypocrites, those guys are constantly trying to buy first place through the Federal Government.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I'm 'tippsy so I'm not going to read all of the above.

Divide your 'miles per gallon' into the cost per gallon = cost per mile to drive. Scarry shst!!!!!!!:mad:

3. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    You are correct. The value of the dollar plus the increase in world wide
    demand = higher prices. At one time other countries were afraid of raising oil prices to much. They wanted to make money but not raise prices enough the the US would seek other alternatives.

The gas prices will have an effect on my trips this year. Will keep it closer to home. I have thought about a second car (have a F150) for a while. With insurance, etc. the dollars never worked. It was still cheaper to buy gas for the pig. With current gas prices and no relief in sight I am seriously looking at a second car.

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    What I have always heard is that diesel prices are impacted by the fact that the east coast heats with kerosene/heating oil, which is basically diesel. We need to get the east coast burning natural gas so the demand for heating oil/diesel isn't so vast. That however, doesn't explain the summertime price hikes for diesel out west, which I have always regarded as oil companies capitalizing on the surge in RV useage during summer months.

5. HauntedByWaters

My advice is to sell the pig before it goes extinct (I.E. nobody wants to buy it at any price).

I suspect that pickups will be DIRT cheap in a couple years.

6. bjgavin

bjgavin Member

Jason,

Very valid points and I definitely agree. Is is unfortunate that so many elected officials are so easily swayed. I do think the system works beautifully, when it is run true to form. IMHO, the goverment causes the same kinds of problems when it backs the suppliers that it does when it backs the consumers. I personally don't think the goverment should be involved with private business in any form that is biased toward the consumer or the supplier.

Also, I just want to state that I am not so delusional that I think any Mom and Pop shop can step up to start taking on big oil companies. But I do think that your small and moderate sized companies are able to do so when the consumer starts getting frustrated with its current options. I enjoy reading the stories like one about a group of farmers that where struggling producing corn, so they teamed together and built a bio-diesel production facility and use their crops there... they are making a crapload of money now by the way.

As for the big oil companies, I personally can't help but admire them when I am at the gas pump. I don't like seeing higher prices, but I have to respect them for putting themselves into a position as one of a select few major suppliers of one of the most (if not the most) highly demanded products in our country. It makes my long distance fishing trips a little more expensive, but if I had the opportunity to be in the position they are in I wouldn't have hesitated to jump on it.

So, with all that said, I agree with your points. My personal feeling is that price fixing would hurt us more in the long-run and no goverment involvement would be the best for everyone. I realize that won't happen but I can dream. If it did it wouldn't be long before the price of gas didn't matter because we would all have cost effective alternatives for our long distance fishing trips.

7. docstash

docstash Member

"Refinery capacity report - for week ended 4/11/08 .. was 81.4%. Not a misprint.. 81.4 % !!! Call it a "Refinery Cartel".. or just good business.. depending on your point of view.. But there is No Shortage of Refineries in the USA Demand down 7 to 12% as low income cuts back on gas. China subsidizing crude oil prices for China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation and Petro China Company Ltd. Gasoline is still very cheap. Probably will get some real reaction to prices if Gasoline goes to $6."
    From market analyst I follow
    And have a good day, Craig

8. spowino

spowino New Member

I just lost my job and the major reason was because of fuel prices.:beathead:
    Anyone know of a job for a driver gun-for-hire?
    I've got 32 years experience and approx 2.1 million (that's million) miles experience without any accidents.

9. HauntedByWaters

I agree price fixing and more regulation is what I don't want. Same goes for oil companies. They should not get any help at all with their business.

Dude, if gas were 6$............People's heads would explode!!! Seriously, that would be like the end of America wouldn't it? How could anyone afford to drive at all?

HOLY HELL MAN!!!! You are a true professional.

10. devon flyfisher

devon flyfisher Member

Home Page:
    I have just checked my fuel consumption on my Jeep, only been used recently for deer control and fly fishing trips,nightmare at 24 mpg, it is a Jeep cherokee diesel, doesn't like the narrow country lanes and steep hills, but worse still is that i am paying $10 per gallon in the UK.
    But hey,keep smiling and keep fishing!

11. HauntedByWaters

HOLY *UCK I AM HAPPY ALL OF A SUDDEN! ;)

12. spowino

spowino New Member

HOLY HELL MAN!!!! You are a true professional.

Yes I am, 3 1/2 years from retirement and am now back to the job searching market.
    There's got to be someone out there that's wants someone good and is willing to pay for it.
    kent

13. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:

14. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    I'll travel and fish until it is impossible for me too. I now work all five weekdays after school to finance my weekend trips and it's working out nicely. I don't know if it is true but I heard through a friend's mechanic father that Ford is coming out with an F-150 getting 60 mpg. Hard to believe but I sure hope so, because I'm buying one.

And if the prices keep up like this in the future, I'm buying Rail Road stock!

15. raincityrod

raincityrod Guest

16. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I'll just camp more and drive less.

17. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    :rofl:

when pigs fly

18. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Too funny - and true!

K

19. troutfanatic

troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

Thats one of the main drivers for the increase in the price of oil. Today the dollar hit a record low and oil hit a record high. Because the currency standard used to purchase oil is the dollar, and drop in value gives at least a the same corresponding price hike in an oil of barrel.

You gotta remember that when the dollar drops in value it takes more of them to pay for the same good than before. Thats one of the reasons that oil is climbing.

20. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths