SFR: Hoh river food buying

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, I've had some donations. Gotta feed the hungry (if they want to eat that is) at the Hoh event. So want an idea who all wants me to pickup food (on the condition that there will be some more people chipping in at the event). I don't mind footing the bill to pick it up. But just curious who all wants me to do alot of the cooking. Mind you, I'm only going to pick up food for breakfast Saturday and Sunday and dinner on Saturday (figured that'll be the big night of festivities). I'll be buying in bulk at Sam's, so will be cheaper.

Planned on buying a small ribeye slab (slow cooked then cut/cooked to order that evening) then maybe some ribs or maybe instead a brisket. I plan to fish, but means I'll have to be off the river by at least 3 so I can check on these and will leave alone on super low most of the day. But plan on picking up a ton of potatoes and onions to do fresh french fries and beer batter rings. A bag of pancake mix. A bunch of eggs, milk, slab bacon, maybe some sausage. Think I may do SOS, so will get the stuff to make it (and also some of their premade buiscuits).

So who all wants the food? Gives me an idea. Fishdontcare put in a BIG donation, want to get him some of his cash back. But I'm gonna at least match his, if not double it. But if I get an idea on who wants the food I'm cooking, it'll give me an accurate idea on what to buy. I always buy a bit more, but will help me alot if I have an idea.

I'd prefer to buy it and have you guys donate when we're there. I've had at other events guys buying and donating the onions, potatoes, etc. But there are times I get WAY too much of one, and not enough of the other. So helps me keep things in check.

Also, if you want to bring hot dogs, burgers, etc, will have my stoves open for that as well.

So, just give me an idea here if you plan to eat what I'll be cooking or not.

Thanks!

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, almost forgot. I do know some guys are already down there. Not sure how many are staying all week (or if river will blow totally out). I don't plan on heading to buy until Wednesday at the earliest (may go Thursday after work). So if plans change or people end up totally bailing, let me know as well. Can give back the money I got (or at least reimburse those who paid me). Thanks again.

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    pm sent

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Hey Jerry I just want to say thanks for going through all the effort of putting on a good meal at Oxbow. I too enjoy cooking/smoking food for events like this, but I also know it can be really time consuming and expensive. So, I just want to say thanks....even though I can't make it this time.
    Cheers,
    Frank.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    No problem. I enjoy doing it. Just as long as people want it there to begin with. Usually I'm requested at certain fishing events (like I have one on the Kalama coming up in May that I'll be cooking for, if they keep it open for springers).

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
  7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Jerry, I'm flying with fishdontcare and I'm up for food. We'll be arriving late Thrusday to Forks. If you don't mind sending my your cell # in PM we'll call you sometime on Friday after fishing to hook up, exchange plans, cover any more money you need and get on with the feeding schedule for the weekend. Very cool of you to manage all of this...and I"m still hopeful to follow you in your DB if you plan to anchor or bank it to work some of the holes and runs. Not my plan to fish on the float, only when anchored on the bank. See you there.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles, no problem. I figured you were in with fishdontcare. He sent me a pretty big buy in. So figured I'm gonna try and get some cash back to him. So if you want, you can give him some cash. I'll PM you my cell here in a bit. I'm gonna get my area at least somewhat setup on Friday. Then do a scouting trip. Won't take long to scout (but will do some casting on the way to see what I can drum up).

I'll cover what I need to get. Just whatever money comes in will be put towards the food I bought and refilling the propane tanks. In fact, that's one thing that people can do, bring a spare full tank with them. That's something there's never enough of and can definitely use as well. I'll have 3 or 4 with me.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I thought I'd put this up. Make sure you bring what you want for lunches. I won't be buying anything like that. At least not for the crowd that is. Figured most of us will be out fishing, so will pack whatever it is we want for eating while we're fishing. But I'll get the dinner and breakfast covered. :)

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Jerry, all this talk about your cooking is making me want to change my mind about going! Good thing I've got good fishing close to home or I might show up...

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    What Sue? You mean fresh made beer battered onion rings (my own special mix of seasonings, made with amber ale for a rich taste), twice cooked french fries for a soft inside, but firm almos crunchy outside. Slow smoked ribeyes and maybe some babybacks slow smoked won't convince you to come? Man, I can't help you then. ;)

12. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Ok, now I know you are just plumb mean!!! My mouth is watering. If I could take a day off, I would definately be there. Then again the OP is less attractive when I can sleep in 'til 10, drive an hour and catch fish like this one I got today. Maybe you could UPS me a plate of leftovers?! Or, maybe we need to plan a Dry Falls outing or something later...

Attached Files:

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Very nice. Maybe a dryfalls. I do know I may be heading to the Yak a few times this summer with Project Healing Waters. Could do something then too. We'll see. God, I'll be trout fishing again. Who'dve thunk? LOL

14. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I'll chip in Jerry! I have a couple of pounds of thick cut pepper bacon from Costco that I was going to bring and some polish dogs from there as well.

Now hopefully my cigars will show up before I leave... at least I've got the Jamison ready to go and some Speyburn!

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Boy, do I have a killer Recipe for SOS. But you probably have your own. But when ever I make it the whole damn family shows up to help eat it.
    But I might not make it due to the weather. Lots of snow last night.

Jim

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Great plan Jerry, breakfast and supper for those interested is cool, and I'm interested. I'll probably pack something for myself on the river for lunch, maybe even my camp stove and some boil and eat backpacking meals...calories to keep me going until I can get to the Oxbow Camp Chow Hall.

Freestone, that is one sick fish! Thanks for flaunting it. Even fires up the motivation a bit more. Some of us lesser anglers could benefit from following you around if you made it to the Hoh though, some kick ass fly fishing community service perhaps?

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, found out buying stuff for lunches just doesn't work. Why I usually pack my own stuff and call it quits. But will do the shopping probably wednesday night.