(SFR) Hotcase Food

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Steelie Mike, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Donald Johnson

Donald Johnson cuttman

S-fly
    I hear you man....add those big wet maple/alder leaves to the list...

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Where is this magic hot-case that has all this stuff?

3. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:

4. otter

otter Banned or Parked

In your own back pocket. Some I buy from the markets. Wasabi and wine are stocked in the house.

In all truth - when I go fishing, mostly solo - I have my "road tea" (stash double bergamot earl grey and in addition a couple bottles of water). I dont eat, I fish.

If there are guests, then I put on a spread.

otter

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Its nowhere near the water, but the Seattle VA hospital cafeteria fried chicken. It's open to the public, but they got goverment hours M-F 11:30 to 12:30 pm or so. Take it from under the hotlight, and lay it in a cardboard tray, by the time you hit your vehicle, the grease will have turned the cardboard almost clear. It's cooked deep and long in a special fryer where the oils took on flavors from the years before, and those flavors and smells will fill your vehicle with great joy. Couple pieces of that keeps a man going for a week.

Everything is edible, even the bones. Sometimes the bones trap the fats and oils and when you crack into them the juice drips out down the chin...now that's 100% service connected my friend...just beware though, if you take that hot juicy high-aroma chicken out past the psych ward when they're out on smoke break or half-heartedly shootin' hoops, you could be heckled some. As in "hey that's some mighty good lookin' chicken, you might want to give it up here..." flippin' the bird is an entirely appropriate response in this circumstance.

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Safeway fried chicken is the best if you stick to the thighs...

Best fried food I ever ate was the Hot Link corn dog at Disneyland California Adventure... Seriously... It rocked...

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    At $4.99 ea it better freakin rock.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Ultimate Breakfast Samich from Jack in the Box goes a long ways. Usually one at 4 or 5 AM and I am good til late afternoon.

9. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Dude, seriously. It was huge! It was hot! It was crispy sweet corny salty goodness. No mustard no ketchup. Ate it clean! It was AWESOME! And remember that's street price for a lame ass mcdonalds meal deal... I've never eaten there but isn't a quizno samy six-fiddy? Inside Disneyland? 4.99 for something that holds you all day? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

10. Sam Vradenburg

Sam Vradenburg Member

Media:
    Raw cougar meat in the mornin' gets the blood flowin' like nothin' else!

11. Fishful Thinking

Fishful Thinking Member

My wife used to bug me to bring lots of food on my day trips so I wouldn't get hungry, cold, etc. Then, she'd complain that I wouldn't come home until it was way later than she expected. I explained to her that if I leave with only a couple of granola bars and a bottle of water, there's a far greater chance of her seeing me back that day...In reality, I always swing by the Tully's or Bigbucks for a dose of caffiene and sugar on the way.

12. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Wadin Boot,

You are the man. If I get a few days out into the hills eating what I can carry I start to yearn, crawl for, and dream of Micky D's.

For serious fishing food, It is hard to admit, and hard to explain: I Don't want sushi when I am fishing. I spent years walking nearly every day three hundred feet down to the very best drift in the river. I would start this in mid August, a month before any fish could arrive, hiding so nobody would see me "practice." Watchu tink, within a week or two I might catch a fish and then I would immediately call up my friends from Seattle and tell them to get over here. I wanted to share the riches and to have someone to fish with! Nobody else was on the river. The walk was through an orchard of red and golden delicious. I would not walk across the street for a red delicious apple, even if the tree was a hundred years old, but a golden delicious? They are OK in late August because the are the first to ripen. Still, as time goes by they sugar up. At harvest they are pretty good. A week to a month after harvest the missed ones are loaded with sugar and crisp to explosion.

The dillema is to fish the best runs where I have already pilfered the very last of the hangers, or to fish the second best runs where there will be over ripe apples to eat with the wedge of triple cream blue cheese Camamber that is in my pack.

Full, I go to the Monitor Tavern to have lunch with my friends.

sb

13. Wet Wade

Wet Wade New Member

Media:
    I 'd be percolating and in contractions before I got in my car if I ate food from a Hotcase. If I’m hard up I’d maybe do a sausage biscuit at Mickey D's. Good coffee is non-negotiable, and it doesn’t matter what time of day. But usually it's a cooler full of PBJ fixin's, string cheese, beef or turkey jerky, water, beer.

14. Randy Hardy

Randy Hardy Member

There is a Texaco food mart in Anacortes just after you turn for Pass lake. I had been at pass lake for about seven hours and had a rare good day. On the way home I stopped in there. They had about two dozen fried mini-tacos. Love'm !!:rofl: They hit the spot and ruined my appetite for the meal at home. I have not seen them anywhere before or since.

Cheers!
    Randy

15. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Well, I"m a sucker for fried chicken an Jo's... Love 'em a ton and can't pass 'em up. Problem is, when you gotta lay the grumper after eating said food, Sloan sits there and watches.. Kinda spooky....

16. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ALL OF YOU HOTCASE EATERS ESPECIALLY FRIED CHICKEN EATERS ARE OUT OF YOUR MINDS!!!!!!!!

I worked in a deli in a grocery store and ran the hotcase for 2 years. It was my second and shittiest job I have ever had. I could eat all the hotcase food I wanted all day long. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOO filthy guys!!!!! I have never touched a piece of fried chieck since that job......FILTHY FILTHY!!!! You should have seen the pieces that punk asses besides me (of course) coated in pubes prior to frying. I remeber cracking all the joints in the chicken so they wouldn't explode in the fryer. The red marrow would spirt onto my face sometimes. TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME......go to the grocery store the night before and buy some good quality sandwich materials.............TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME.......It will add YEARS to your life.

Follow Up: Have you ever peered into a high pressure chicken fryer with a week old oil in it? Smelled it? It is HORRIBLE..Instant gag puke reaction.......Most places hardly ever change their fryer oil..............SCARY......................................................:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Follow Up 2: Have you ever heard of the amounts of carcinogens found in used fry oil? It starts carcinogen free and clean and with eat fry it gets worse, ASTRONOMICALLY worse.It is scary....:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

I'm not sure why, but that image... Uh, never mind...:clown:

18. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Well when you wander into the middle of the river and drop your waders then yell to the people fishing below us "Better check your fly selection here comes a Boneless Brown Trout", one can't help but notice:rolleyes: .

19. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carcinogens........are you kidding me. You want to live forever? Now that is scary!

20. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    :thumb: Disney's giant corndogs are awesome. I also habitually snarf down one or two from the Index Store when I fish the upper Sky .........:thumb: it gives me a chance to practice my shitty Korean :rofl: