SFR: I-90 Snoqualmie Pass construction spring 2014

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpocket, Mar 19, 2014.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    If Mother Nature is true to her promise and starts producing spring like weather, construction is scheduled to return to Interstate 90 east of Snoqualmie in early April. Drivers need to start planning their trips now in order to avoid major construction-related delays.

Starting April 12, I-90 will be reduced to a single lane in each direction for two weeks, including weekends, in order for the Washington State Department of Transportation and the contractor to build detours in preparation for the 2014 construction season. Crews will also remove the 64-year-old snowshed.

“We can’t stress how important it is for drivers to know before they go and plan ahead before heading out the door,” said Don Whitehouse, WSDOT regional administrator. “During the single lane closures, drivers will need to change their travel plans in order to avoid delays of up to two hours. We suggest you travel early in the morning, go later at night, find an alternate route or postpone your trip until after April 25.”

This work is all part of the $551 million project that builds a wider, safer and more reliable stretch of I-90 from Hyak to Keechelus Dam.

WSDOT and contractor crews will also be working on a number of other projects east of Snoqualmie Pass later this summer to replace deteriorating pavement and improve visibility with new lighting and lane markings with solar-powered light-emitting diodes. Rock blasting also resumes this summer and drivers need to plan for hour-long closures Monday through Thursday starting an hour before sunset.

It’s going to be a very busy construction season over Snoqualmie Pass. In order to get through all the delays and back-ups, WSDOT has a wide variety of tools to help drivers plan ahead including the What’s Happening on I-90, Snoqualmie Mountain Pass and Traffic Alerts Web pages. Drivers can also follow WSDOT on Twitter @snoqualmiepass or sign up for email updates. To help get through the single lane closures in April, drivers can access online travel graphs to find the best times to travel and the worst times to avoid.
  2. Duane J Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I appreciate the heads-up.
  3. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Question - I may have to go to the Hood Canal area of Washington next month. With all the I-90 delays should I

-- Drive from Helena to Moses Lake (I'd get there early afternoon), spend the night, then get up very early the next morning to drive over Snoqualamie?
    -- Drive from Helena to just west of Spokane and then go through Pasco, Portland, then north though Tacoma?

Looking at Google Maps it's a LOT more miles going through Pasco, Portland, but if the delays are 2 + hours I'm not sure the time would be more.

Trapper
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Take Stevens pass. No delays and you pass so good looking water. But you can't fish it yet.
    Olive bugger likes this.
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Trapper - I think your first option is fine. Get over the pass before mid-morning and the slowdown should be minimal. Old Man Jim's suggestion is a good one too. It's more scenic than I-90 but adds about 60-90 min to the drive, assuming you want to end up in Edmonds to take the ferry across the Sound to complete your journey to Hood Canal.
  6. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Thanks much guys!

So looking at Google Maps, I should take Hwy 28 off I-90 west of Moses Lake through Wenatchee?

And yes, I'd take the Ferry across. I've done that before and it's much easier than driving through Seattle down to the Tacoma Narrows and then back north.

If over Stevens Pass is only an hour or so more and the I90 delays are 2+ hours, that sounds like a deal as long as half the truckers in the country don't have the same idea.

Trapper
  7. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    To reach Wenatchee from Moses, stay on I-90 until you reach the Quincy exit (hwy 281). Follow the signs from there.

The wild card on the Hwy 2 route through Wenatchee is traffic on the west side between Monroe and Edmonds. Earlier is better.
  8. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Good to know. Thanks.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,029 / 1
    Shouldn't be too bad of a drive going mid-day and mid week.
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +433 / 0
    +1
  11. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    I'm driving from Poulsbo to Craig on Tues., 4/15: planning to get over Snoqualmie (via Tacoma Narrows Bridge) around 6-6:30 AM. Would that be OK? Thanks in advance.
  12. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +735 / 0
    truckers rarely use stevens pass,Plus hiway 2 is way more scenic & river in tumwater canyon will be at full flow
  13. Couleeflyfisher Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    From Spokane take highway 2, thru Wenatchee and Stevens Pass. Shorter and a lot less traffic, especially trucks. From Monroe take 522 to Maltby intersection, go thru Lynnwood to Edmonds-Kingston ferry, 6-8 mi. from Kingston to Hood Canal bridge.
  14. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Thanks for all the help! This information will save me a lot of headaches.

Trapper
  15. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    I'm driving from Poulsbo to Craig on Tues., 4/15: planning to get over Snoqualmie (via Tacoma Narrows Bridge) around 6-6:30 AM. Would that be a good time to go?
  16. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ron - from the WSDOT text "We suggest you travel early in the morning"

Good luck, sounds like a great trip!
  17. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    I saw that - Thanks. I was "fishing" around to see if anyone who travels that route frequently had anything to add. I'm not too interested in getting stuck in effing traffic at the beginning of a long road trip....
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    If it was done in the summer time. There are ways to get around all that shit by taking a few back roads. I've taken a few back roads going over the pass in the summer time. A good map will help you do just this. You can't do it at this time of the year as there is too much snow still on the ground.