SFR New Years OP Family Fun

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by smole, Jan 3, 2011.

1. smole Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Well, we loaded up the truck and headed out of town, rushed due to some last minute work BS, but in high spirits. Anticipating a busy, fun filled 4 days in and around the Olympic Peninsula, my 3 year old boys were putting their 5 point harness systems to the test for sure. I love everything about fatherhood, but I certainly have gained a new respect for what my parents put up with on our family sojourns. To this day, I still spend hours in front of maps and books planning, organizing, tying flies and dreaming of what might be. Wanting nothing more than to get to our destination as soon as possible so I could line up my rod and hit the water. How much longer? Are we there yet? Who ate all the cheeze -it's? These might well have been the anthem of my youth if it weren't for the Pixies .

Anyway...although this trip was mainly family focused, I was able to sneak out for a bit of river time, early mornings and one afternoon pass granted and used. It had been eight years, one wedding and two kids since my last visit to the Peninsula, i was definitely ready for this.
    The spey rod is a recent addition, or should I say addiction, to my arsenal and I was excited to step down thru some of the runs I was familiar with from previous expeditions and check out some promising new locations.

With clear water and weather, I couldn't believe I was actually fishing the OP in the winter, very comfortable conditions. Final tally, three larger well known rivers and two beautiful smaller north coast systems worked with no fish to hand. I did have some success finding new water that I'll definitely seek out on future trips. And the runs I was familiar with and still had access to seemed to greet me like an old friend. My spey technique is definitely a work in progress, but I think a tiny little something kind of clicked with the cast on this trip, could have had to do with the scenery, or the slight hangover one morning, I'm not sure.

All said, a successful trip. It was great to see the little fellas go crazy exploring the tide pools, one thing I spent countless hours exploring when I was a punk. Asking questions about everything they found cool, which was pretty much everything, beachcombing and building driftwood forts. I can't wait for the moment I get the chance to share the river with them. View attachment 37652
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,237 / 9
    Well written and full of excitement...sounds like a very good trip.