SFR:One dish meals for camping?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Apr 3, 2006.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

During the winter when days are short, the weather nasty and the fire warm, I'll spend hours in the kitchen cooking or baking or just watching my wife do the same while I sip chardonnay and nibble focaccia bread. Nothing takes too long because there is plenty of time and always enough time to do it right.

But when I go on fishing trips despite good intentions I never seem to want to take the time for involved food preperation. Often I eat very little compared to what I eat at home and usually try to keep it as simple as possible. I hate to spend a lot of time prepping an evening meal when I know damn well that the best fishing of the day is from dinner time until dark. So I look for simple dishes that can be prepared quickly so I can get back on the water. Most boxed or packaged meals are truely disgusting and leave a taste in your mouth that Drano cut with Listerine will not get rid of. My aversion to these quickie meals probably dates to 1967 when a generous company donated a case of Beef Strognaoff meals to our climb of Mt. McKinley. The price was right so we ate them but I have never been able to eat anything labeled Beef Stroganoff again.

Now fast forward to 2006 and remarkably I have just discovered Zatarain's products in the supermarket. This is the best stuff I have ever tasted out of the box. Red beans and rice, black beans and rice, Jambalaya, Dirty rice, French Market veges and rice and long grain and wild rice are some of the selections. They can be prepared in about 30 minutes in camp for a hot and heavy side dish or can be embellished with lean hamburger, chicken, sausage or shrimp to make a filling and tasty main dish.

If you are still gagging yourself with Kraft macaroni and cheese or those Lipton packaged mixes give yourself a break and try some of these New Orleans products. My guess is that your one dish dinner fare will improve considerably.

If you are already using these products I would be interested to hear what variations you are using and what different meats you are preparing them with. Here's to better camp food, Ive

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    You should write Zatatain's. They would probably spnsor you with a review like that.

Their stuff is pretty great. I've taken it camping a couple of times.

3. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

NO KIDDING!!! We camp all the time in the summer, guess who gets to play chef bawling:. Now, most of the time I don't mind taking time to cook good meals, having to feed the kids too and all. But, I'd like something that isn't "junk" yet easier and quicker to make. I use those products at home sometimes, the kids really like the red beans and rice with summer sausage. I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, Zatarain's tastes closest to what we had down south. Now if only they had a way to make bacon and eggs lol

Plus the cleanup is easy for camping...1 pot...1 spoon

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hell, I have a great suggestion. Just hire me to be your camp cook (right Freestone :D )

Actually, hamburger helper and other instant meals work great. Go to the freezer section of Freddies and the likes and find "meals in a bag". Bunch of easy dinners. Usually toss the bag in a skillet and away you go.

5. crobarr

crobarr New Member

go get yourself a "seal-a-meal". in the week/s leading up to your trip just make extras with your meals and place them in the bags. freeze them up and then they are ready for your trip. since the food is already cooked, all you have to do is place the bag into boiling water until heated.

1 word of caution: boiled eggs prepared as i stated will become rubbery, and gravy sometimes seperates. cheese can seem a bit grainy too- depends on what kind of cheese.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:

7. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mmm...the Zatarain's stuff is good. The seal-a-meal is a pretty good idea too. I don't know if you can get it over there, but MaryJane's Farm puts together some pretty good instant stuff, too, there is lots of variety and much of the stuff is organic. You can buy it online or at many natural food stores/co-ops.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not a problem, I'll be there Sue. :D

9. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    over the years, i also got tired of eating during the best fishing. or eating in the dark which is dangerous if you cook like i do. i started eating a big breakfast, a small snack, and then eating dinner about 3-4 pm during the doldrums. another snack after coming off the water is good enough.

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    'seal-a-meal' sounds like a good plan for car\RV overnight trips. But what I usually struggle with is finding good food for backpacking - light weight, easy to cook, and actually tastes good... A few fish caught and cooked over the fire is always nice, but not always possible depending on where you go.

11. estill

estill Member

Someting I discovered with the Zatarain's Jambalaya is a seafood mix. Grocery stores with a frozen bulk seafood section normally have a bin with a mix of clams, scallops, squid, octopus, etc. About 3/4 of a pound to a box of Jambalaya is good.

12. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    Top Ramen!!!! Oriental chicken

13. FLGator

FLGator Member

To kick my Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice up a notch I omit about 1/2 c of the water and replace it with a can of Rotel's diced tomatoes and chilis.

14. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    Our easy favorite: Cowboy Stew.

I pre-make meatballs - (i ususally freeze them in a zip lock & toss into the cooler before we go). Toss a couple of meatballs, chunked up onions, carrots, potatoes, peppers, whatever, into a tin foil pouch. Add a little liquid....red wine or part of your beer works well....

toss the packet onto some coals - all it takes is one cutting board, one knife and some tin foil!! The kids think its great, and they can help out with the prep work.

-Kristin (Dry Falls: I'm camping by Sue and Jerry!!)

15. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:

Very similar to a dish we call "Foils Markham"... It's essentially a 1/2 lb ground beef patty, carrots, potatoes, onions, Jonny's seasoning, and 1/2 a can of cream of mushroom soup... Wrap it in heavy foil, takes like 25 minutes, and is a *HEARTY* meal worthy of man of my appetite!

16. MacTFO

MacTFO New Member

I did alot of camping when I was in the boy scouts, the best, and I mean best, if you are car camping, is the Dutch oven, nothing can beat it. Clean up, and prep can be a little much, but the end product is outstanding. Beef Stew is amazing. Desert is the also great. They have dutch oven cook books, so if you plan ahead, you'll have a great meal.

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    It's called camping. Does anyone have more than one dish?

I like to make a batch of my road kill chilli. I put it in freezer containers and throw however many I need in my ice chest. If it's longer than a weekend trip, I'll make a batch of spaghetti sauce, too, so that I'll have some variety. I don't pre-boil the pasta, however, so preparing that is part of my camp cookery. I haven't made beef stew for a long time, but as mentioned above, that's another good alternative for making ahead of time, and it freezes pretty well. Putting frozen food containers in the ice chest reduces the demand for ice. On the perfect fishing trip, I run out of frozen dinners and ice at the same time.

I haven't tried the Zatarain's products, but I've used the Lipton envelope meals for a lot of backpacking, adding a can of chicken breast meat to enhance the flavor and add substance to the meal. I'll look for Zatarain's this summer.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

18. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Some of those rice-noodle bowls you get from Trader Joes are pretty good. It's in the spirit of Ramen, but actually doesn't taste too bad.

But if you really want to get into it. I really like kabobs. They are easy to prepare in advance. Pack them up in some plastic bags with your marinade. And cook them on your camp fire. You can also pack them in foil, and just cook them right in the foil. I also like to cut up the kabob pieces small. THis way You don't need untensils to eat it. Just grab one of the skewers and eat it right off the stick.

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm with you Mac
    Cooking's been a hobby with me since the early 70s. A few years ago I got on to DOs. I have 4 now including a 17" that will serve a crowd. Made chile and cornbread for 25 guys to go along with a roast pig a couple years ago. The (27th) annual Spring trip to the Chewuch is coming up again soon. Once it's on the coals it's cocktail time! Always a crowd pleaser. There's little you can't do with them. Yes, there is some clean up but there are a few tricks there too.

20. MacTFO

MacTFO New Member

Just thought of another thing we used to do car camping, and this relates to Jami's post. Take a huge pot and fill with water. I know, I know, this is going take along time to boil (although I can't remember if we boiled it or not), but anywho, in gallon plastic bags, mix your favorite incrediants for an omlet(sp). Crack a few eggs, put in your sides place, place that bag in another bag (protection) and place into the water. Once the eggs are done, enjoy! This is an easy way to make some good eggs, with very little cleanup!!!