SFR:One dish meals for camping?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Shin Yum Spicy Korean Ramen rocks the casbah. Best noodles, best flavor packs, best ramen ever.

Backpacker's Pantry Kathmandu Curry is really good with some extra curry and fresh trout thrown in.:thumb:

EDIT: Obviously these are suggestions for when you're BP-ing. I fish a lot of high lakes and have to pack light so I have room for my fishing gear and Curtis Raft!
  2. Matt Goodner Forced to Work, Born to Play

Auburn, Washington
    I do Chicken Breasts with taters, carrots, onions and BBQ wrapped well in foil and cooked over the coals about 40mins. best darn grub there is and seems to bring out the best darn company available.
  3. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +135 / 3
    Nothing wrong with adding left over (Zatarans) rice to the eggs. Left overs were a dirty word when we were kids. No more baby. Doggy bags from the restaurant last night? They can go in the mix too. One of my favorites is left over Salmon with wild & long grain rice omlette. No potatoes, no mess, one skillet. Another notch!:beer2:
  4. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    For camping a great dish to make if serving about 4 is as follows
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 stalk of celery
    6 med potatoes red or white your choice
    1 package of smoked or polish sausage

Cut it all up at camp and throw into a big pot of water and let boil.
    To make it easier you can cut and pre-pack it into baggies at home.
    No spices needed for this dish and it all cooks in one pot. The celery
    And peppers will give it plenty of flavor. Cooking time about 10 minutes.

For cooking while on the road pick up a snowmobile hot dog cooker to set on top of the engine. Throw in a couple of the frozen Hot Pockets into foil then into the hot dog cooker and let them cook while you drive. Just make sure you use plenty of foil to keep any bad taste out. This makes for a great hot shore lunch before hitting the river. Works real well when driving over to fish the Yak from Seattle.

Do not count on Amie and I cooking at the get together because we will not know if we can make Dry Falls until the last minute. To many personal issues have been going on including Amie was hurt in a car wreck by a driver running a red light. She was saved by the seat belt but the seat belt did some damage to her chest and stomach area and for now at least we have no truck. Amie should be fine in the long run and has continued to work but with great pain and only with lots a pain medication. She sleeps most of the time when not at work recovering from the accident including evenings, nights and weekends.
    If we do make it most likely we will live on our standard when we travel alone to give us more time to fish fried chicken and potato salad from Fred Myer.
  5. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,171 / 0
    Pat,

I don't want to highjack this post, but please gives my best wishes to Amie for her speedy recovery. I hope she's feeling up to joining us at Dry Falls!

Sue
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    Same as Sue, don't want to redirect the post, but hope Amie is well. Give her Tiff and my best. Hope she's doing fine.

Oh yeah, I had totally forgot something I've done a few times.

If you have a meal you really want to make, but is VERY time consuming. Make most of the steps at home. Let them cool, and vacuum pack it (if you have one). For this, you MUST have a quality packer. If not, you'll have a mess. I've actually brought beef stroganoff, and fried rice, that I had pretty much precooked and tossed into my vacuumpacker. Then toss into hot water (the stew type food) or toss the fried rice into a skillet and heat. Works great.

I will have a complete setup ready to cook. Three burner stove with griddle and coffee of course. :D Plus my two deep fryer assemblies as well. So I see my adjoining campsites will be filled by Sue and Kristin. :D
  7. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    we have a vaccume sealer we use a ton, we precook,soft tacos,chicken and red beans n rice, sphagetti w meat sauce, brats, let all your meals cool, bag them, seal them, freeze them, then boil water on the camp fire or stove and reheat in the bag itself, and you have the best meals, just like at home. and they help to keep in the cooler when they are all basically ice bags. we actually hike in trips w our meals this way, and if you know your eating for 3 to 4 days that way, it works out really well and nothing spoils, we cooler and ice them till we get to the trail head then divy them up, we also use the river , stream as a cooler system when we get there.
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    This is off, but a bit on, topic. Was just thinking about something we always do at hunting camps. We always make what we call "Hunters Goulash". Quite literally we take about every can and food item we have left and toss it into a big pot and let it sit all day on low heat. You'd be surprised how good it actually tastes (and we had some pretty odd food). But this is a last day camp thing, so you don't waste food. We had one that was made up of sloppy joe mix, hamburger, sausage, corn, and few misc odds and ends. Mostly thrown in a big bowl with bread. Surprisingly tasted damned good. Still a tradition my Dad and I do (now mostly our fishing camps, he can't hunt anymore).
  9. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    When I go camping to fish its usually cold meals all the way unless its over 3 days, I make everything I'm going to eat before hand and just drop it in the cooler before I go, I'm usually alone so theres really no need for any big fuss I buy fruit and muffins for breakfast this combined with those cold coffees from starbucks takes care of that, a loaf of bread and pnj or lunch meat, fruit and juice takes care of lunch and for dinner I'm really fond of fajitas so thats dinner I can make a variety of flavors and I like them cold so I prepare the insides at home drop it into a tortilla and wrapit up 2 a night with some chips and beer and I'm done. I know this sounds kinda weird but when I go to fish I go to fish and I don't really want the added hassel of cooking after fishing all day plus this really holds down on the junk I have to bring, no stoves no wood or pans coffeepots and such.
    tony
    I'm a lazy sod
  10. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Same as Tony; when it's time to fish, who want's to cook?! But, at 50++++ years, I like to have hot coffee and a home cooked meal[with no cleanup]. One word: JETBOILS!!!!!!!! Seal up your leftovers at home and freeze them up. Hot coffee at camp, toss the Jetboil in your boat and have a HOT home cooked meal on the river and back at camp. The pint sized bags[ fill them up 1/2 way] fit in the jetboil just right. 50-60 bucks on Ebay or 75 at REI.
  11. Zack Leake The user formerly known as "Zekester"

Your Mom's house...
    I love reviving old threads...:clown:

Something that I've come across that works awesome is freezer bag cooking. This lady put together a cookbook called trail cooking for idiots or something and it's super easy, light and good!

You mix all the stuff together in quart size freezer ziplocks and pack it in! When you're in camp all you do is boil water, put it in the bag wait 10 minutes and eat it right out of the bag!

Here is the link to her site:

http://www.trailcooking.com/
  12. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    i like the old standby rice. there is about 1000 ways to make up some good rice bowl.
  13. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Soft tacos this way? For serious? YAY!
  14. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    I'm going to start a new thread for backpacking meals now. I'll start by posting one of my favorite recipes, please add on.
  15. uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

Bellingham, wa
    Idahoan potatoes, generous amounts of tobasco/pepper/dehydrated chili mix/bacon bits/jerky bits.... heck anything that sounds like a half decent idea goes good in mashed potatoes on the trail.

only good for about 3 straight meals, then pototoes arn't what's for dinner.
  16. bv Member

Eastside
    Granola bars and gorp all day. Then liquor or beer (if you are up to packing it in) for the carb load. No mess and you don't even have to quit fishing. :)
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +876 / 0
    OK, I'll bite (no pun intended)...Trout Jeremiah-my recipe when I was guiding: Rice-a-roni, a can of crab meat, can of shrimp, diced shallots and button mushrooms stuffed into the body cavity of the trout after it's fried in corn meal, sage, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and a touch of thyme.

Allison, if you can find one of those old GAZ fuel bottles, the red ones made from spun aluminum with the vitreous coating on the inside, and the stopper like those Grolsch beer bottles, if you decant champagne SLOWLY into the bottle and seal it up, it'll keep champagne bubbly up to 18 hours, and you don't have to lug the glass around! Last time I saw one was a few years ago at Jack Dennis' place in JH-big enough for a magnum of champagne.
  18. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    This recipe won me $500 in a cookoff sponsored by Jetboil. Sorry it's not more refined, I don't measure much when I cook.

1 cup couscous
    1 1/4 cup water
    dried peas
    raisins
    shredded coconut (the big kind if you can find it) preferably unsweetened
    unsalted cashews, broken up
    a bit o' brown sugar
    curry powder
    cinnamon (smidge)
    salt

Bring water to boil, add peas and couscous. Boil a minute or so. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well, cover, let stand 10 minutes or so. Fluff, serve. Makes about 2 cups.
  19. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Buddy and I are headed to Colorado next month for a 4 day BP trip. Allison will you come along and cook for us?:)
  20. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Sure, buy me a plane ticket?