SFR:One dish meals for camping?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Allison done easy: Have ticket, will cook? Is it easier to get you to cook for a campout than Jerry? Altho he admittedly has to pack about 3 tons of special cooking gear, so backpacking is out.

Is the couscous a main course or a side dish for backpacking? I don't know much about couscous in case it isn't obvious. But I do have a Jetboil which I've only used for boiling water so far. Kinda' makes it sound as though I can't cook at all. Not the case. I just have a limited repertoire, really limited for backpacking.

Sg

2. I would say it's a side unless you add protein (pouch o' chicken or poached trout would both work) and then it's a main. I'd probably like it with chopped dried apricots better than the raisins.

3. Allison,
    Does 8/14 thru 8/18 work for you?

4. I'm off work from the 3rd-15th. Back at work on the 16th. Need crybaby emoticon.

Think of me next time though!

5. Durn, Our loss :(

Have fun on your time off. Hopefully you're BP'in', fishing or both!

6. I am enjoying the recipies so far. Good reading!:thumb: I like to use my jet boil to cook pesto chicken pasta. Boil a jetboil cup full of rotini, drain it, add THIS pesto paste in a tube with some olive oil, add a foilpack of chicken, season to taste, shake and voila!

7. Freezer bag cooking and One Pan Wonders is all the books ever needed for cooking in the backcountry. Items needed, boiling water, meal prepared at home in freezer bag, add water, wait a couple minutes and you are eating gourmet on the trail with cleanup sufficing as licking your spoon and rolling up your ziplock.

info can be found and some recipes can be found at these sites
    www.trailcooking.com
    www.onepanwonders.com

8. I met Teresa and saw her demo some killer one pan wonders at a Mountaineers monthly meeting. We got a few hand out recipes and got to taste test some of that one pan goodness. I had forgotten about her book. I should get a copy.

9. For stuff a little less basic, these are the go-to recipe books:
    A Fork In The Trail, Laurie Ann March
    Lipsmackin' Backpackin', Tim and Christine Connors

10. Between Teresa's and Sarah's books my collection for backcountry cooking books is fairly complete for me, I have several other trail cooking books I've bought over the years, and they generally only collect dust due to the extra complexity that it adds to my backpacking. Granted I have used a couple recipes out of the Lipsmackin' Backpackin' that were really good as well.
    The whole point with Freezer Bag Cooking and One Pan Wonders meals are to be easy, fairly gourmet, tasty, have a low amount of cleanup and prep work (ie alot of it is stuff you can pick up quickly and mix up straight from the store).

To give you an idea I'm a UL Wanker when it comes to backpacking. My cookset is 4oz in weight, which includes a 2 cup BPL Ti Trapper mug, with a MYOG coat hanger handle, BPL esbit wing stove, .005 Ti windscreen, minibic, and an aluminum foil lid. I can make most of the meals by popping in a 0.5oz esbit tab, boil 2 cups of water and add the required amount of hot water to a ziplock with a meal I prepared already in the ziplock. I put the ziplock in a 0.6oz SUL cozy, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to insulate the meal while it rehydrates than bon-a-petite. When I get finished I roll the ziplock up, throw it in my food sack, lick my spoon clean and I'm done with clean up. The ease of clean up and the lightweight packaging of most of the meals roped me into FBC style cooking a long while ago and helped me be able to eat good meals day after day on long hikes where I'm pushing 15 to 20 miles a day. There is no pot to clean, it's more efficient on fuel since you are only boiling water and not simmering a meal, There's no risk of improper cleaning procedures in camp since there is no dishes. These things add up to simplifying everything that is required to be carried or used; less fuel carried, smaller pot, lighter stove, no bowls, your pot has double use as your coffee cup...

I've met both of them and they are generally always willing to talk and help clairfy cooking methods and such. A while ago I saw a good looking receipe on one of the backpacking sites, which come to find out was from the 2nd book of Freezer Bag Cooking (unreleased), Sarah graciously posted the unreleased recipe onto her site so that I could make it after I asked about how it was made or where could I find the recipe. Good folks, good recipes, and the best part is that they are local independent buisnesses which I always try and support the local small buisnesses.

11. When camping with the family we're usually with our friends. We eat better than at home but calling it camping, IMO, is a stretch. We just got back from an 8day on the road with a 5th wheel, if that paints the picture.

Most of my fishing trips are constantly on the move so the bulk of my cooking gear is left behind. Home made chili, stew, corn bread, freeze up and reheat on the trip. The food is great but there is more focus put on the beer. Especially when you mix in Scot & Yard.

If I'm fishing/backpacking light I'll only bring along freeze dried food and homemade energy/trail mix. The next trip I'll be giving Zatarain's products a try with FLGator's spin. Thanks for the tips guys.

Chris

12. Jared,
    You sold me on freezer bag cooking, gonna have to check it out.

13. I agree on the camping aspect. There are times I'm truly "camping". But even at the Hoh Down, I wasn't sleeping in a tent or under the stars, I had my Alaskan Camper on my truck. But had my kitchen setup down at my campsite. Which, no power or water. So was somewhat roughing it.

BUT, I like to go full scale. Like Chris, I eat better out in the woods then at home. Why I'm invited to alot of fishing and hunting camps. I'll pack alot of stuff in. Make it a full scale event. I don't skimp and I STILL fish and hunt (as some who were at the Hoh Down will attest too, I did a full day on the sticks and fished and still had smoked ribeyes and all the fixins when we got back to camp).

They freezer bags is an awesome trick. I also used to do the same thing with my vacuum sealer. Premake, then boil in water. Did the trick. But, towards the end of my backpacking career (not sure I'll be able to do it again with my injury), i was using MRE's. Had the meals figured out what I liked to eat. Could get them cheap, full of calories, one would feed you for the whole day. And could mix and match stuff to make the meal a bit more palitable (though some of the meals weren't bad as is).

14. Yeah I had enough of those in Iraq and overseas with the Marine Corp to vow to never eat them again unless it was the last possible option in an emergency situation. You'll have bricks to push out, and not to mention what they do to my stomach after long term periods of eating them. I have some permanent digestive problems due to those MRE's...

15. ill have some great meals memorized by december im sure :)