SFR: raft / drift boat rentals

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by albe6322, Aug 30, 2004.

1. albe6322 New Member

Moscow, Idaho, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is there anywhere in the Seattle area (out on the OP would be even better) that rents drift boats? I am interested in buying one but I'd like to be able to try as many boats out as possible before I make the big plunge. Thank for the help.

Matt
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    If you are only out to test drive, ask around on the boards. Always guys who'll let you try them out (usually with themselve being the guy up front fishing lol). I know for rafts, you can find them at Swiftwater in Seattle. Not sure if they rent any on the OP, but should.

Wish I could help you out a bit more. When do you plan on coming out this way? How big of a boat are you looking for (say a 3 person raft/driftboat)?
  3. albe6322 New Member

Moscow, Idaho, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Jerry,
    I'm not sure what kind of Drift boat I'm looking for. I've only been in one twice and have found it was the best for fishing out of. I've been doing a bit of research on the 'net, but it is hard to get a good idea of what I want until I get a chance to try one out. One very interesting site I came across was a company that was building drift boats out of HDPE. I guess it is a similar material to what whitewater kayaks are made of. Virtually indestructable and maintenence free (or so the website says) . However they were limited in the choice of models and seemed very very pricey. I guess I'm looking for a all around boat that I can use around the Northwest (WA, OR, ID, MT) and possibly take home with me to AK if my Dad ever buys property along the Upper Kenai River. Sorry for the long post. Oh and If you want the web address for the company PM me and I'll send, I'm not sure what the rules are about posting non-WFF sponsor's businesses. Thanks

Matt
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    Ah, ok. Yeah, there are no perfect boats, even driftboats. I've owned a couple, and rowed a ton of them. They all have their drawbacks. If you're flyfishing only, glass is nice way to go. They do hold up, even against rocks if you pick a reputable maker. Would love for you to email me the link. Would be interesting to check out if it's made of that composite plastic they use for kayaks.

I've found that glass is quieter and floats you a bit higher, better for summer conditions, but don't pull plugs as well as aluminum (if you fish other then fly only). Aluminum runs slower, but is colder and louder. But can take more abuse IF it has quality welds. Wood is nice all the way around, but more upkeep on them. So the choices are endless. Just depends on what/when/where/and how you plan to fish.
  5. worldanglr Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Jim has a great assortment of boats from Watermasters to Rafts to Drift Boats for rent, check out his website, you can even rent online!

http://www.jamesdeanrentals.com/