Sfr: Rain Shelters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tkww, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I'm looking for a rain shelter for camping. Wind resistances is a good thing. Any recommendations/links? T
    I'm open to any and all suggestions. Not requiring two-person assembly would be nice. Actually kind of mandatory--I do want to be able to put it up myself. I'm not opposed to cheap DIY options either--I wouldn't worry as much setting up next to a fire.

REI lists a bunch of them. Don't need to buy it from there, though. Open to just about anything.

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I've always made do with a tarp with grommets and bungee cords and/or rope. Of course you have to have trees or good sized bushes around.

3. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Media:
    Is this for backpacking or car camping (ie are you concerned about weight/packability)?

4. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Good point, sorry for the omission. Car camping only. Weight or compactness isn't a concern.

I have done that in the past. The place I'm thinking of right now is tree-less in several areas and campsites. So I need some structure of some kind. In thinking about it, I've done a lot of camping and really just gotten lucky a lot. But after one "unlucky" evening last year....

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    If you're looking for something lightweight and not for serious backcountry camping then an army poncho from a surplus store is really hard to beat. It can be turned into a very effective lean to with a little bit of rope. Keep it low - point the foot into the wind.

6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Shit - if you're just car camping then buy a cheap coleman tent or sleep in the car if the rain starts pouring....

7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Saw a couple inexpensive ones at Costco today.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought a cheap 10x10 canopy to use for one year thinking it would not stand up to the conditions. I have used it several times on the Ronde in some pretty breezy conditions and a number of times at home. I think I paid 70 or 80 bucks for it.

9. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Media:
    If you're pretty sure you want to go with a tent instead of a tarp, just make sure the rain fly goes all the way down to the ground, and check for lots of guyline points so you can secure it on windy days. Nothing worse than a tarp flapping in the wind all night long...

10. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

You could buy a cheap tarp, 2 stakes and some rope or cord of some kind. Parachute cord works really well. Attach the tarp to the top of your vehicle some how then run it at a slant to to the ground and attach it to the stakes and tie it down tight and you have a cheap DIY lean too. Then just sleep under that. Here is example of a poncho hooch you could get some poles and make one of these any where. The key is a slight downward angle so the water runs ans doesn't pool.

Attached Files:

11. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Thanks for the replies so far. Let me clarify: I am talking about something to relax/sit under, possibly next to a fire. Not sleep under--the tent is for that. I am thinking of a couple of situations where there is no trees near by, and frankly the vehicle isn't close enough to be of use (and can't be driven closer). So I do think a freestanding/stand-alone is what I'm looking for.

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Have you ever been to a Farmers Market, Summer Fair, wedding, yard sale, auto race or done any camping? At every one of these events there are numerous pop-up canopys that have a telescoping steel or aluminum frame and some kind of fabric cover. There are dozens of brands available at almost every price point from around $100 to $500 depending on size and quality. Most of us that car camp in the NW use one because of the frequent rain and need for shade in the summer. And everyone sells them. Any sporting goods store, Walmart, Target, Sears, numerous online outlets and discount stores. At the end of the season they usually go on sale for ridiculously low prices. I bought a 10' Easy-Up model at Sears for about 1/2 price at the end of the season.

Mine has a nice carrying case that takes up a minimum of space and is relatively easy for one guy to set up. Some good stakes are in order to tether it in case of wind, the legs can also be lowered or raised to adjust the height and angle to the wind. The case even has wheels for ease of movement and the price was only $75. Such a deal.

Ive

13. chief

chief Active Member

I have a Kelty Sunshade that works pretty well as a rain shelter. My first experience with them was in Patagonia, where the outfitter used them for shelter during shore lunches. I bought one when I returned home, and it has served me well. Although it is not made to be 100% waterproof, it is freestanding, packs up into a tent sized storage bag, and has enough pitch to shed the rain. The Rei link you provided shows them.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    On craigslist you can buy the knockoff king kanopy look alikes. They are waterproof and have sidewalls. Usually found in the $100-200 range. Can put up as many of the walls as you want. I have a 10'x10' and a 10'x20'. I've used them simply as shade all the way up to half assed wall tents. Use them more for my cookshacks at camps.

These are the ones I have. I bought mine before the price went up. But may need to get another one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/2887021278.html

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Here's my 10x20 in action with the front walls off. But have a 10x10 identicle to this. Like the ones I showed in the link above.

16. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Pretty cool !!

17. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    i have had that REI alcove for about 6 or so years. freestanding, and fits over picnic tables at campsites, and works awesome. it has been used heavily and still is fairly waterproof. i found it in the returns/seconds at the seattle store for 60 or 70 bucks. worth every penny.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  18. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    if you're considering a freestanding setup that's easy to carry you might consider some of the offerings Kifaru has, as well as things in the Piragus (sp) canoeing catelogue.

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Moss Parawing. MSR purchased Moss a few years ago. Best wind tarp made no question. I have two, the regular 19' model for car camping and a 12' (rare) model for light packing.

http://s3.backcountry.com/900/CAS/CAS0260.jpg
    Add on: I took a look and see that they stopped making these a year ago. Pity. If you can find one, snap it up. Unless you like the style like below, which looks pretty good too. My parawings have ridden out some severe weather, dealing cards and cocktails while my blue tarped buddies are in full damage control. Good tested kit.

20. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    The REI Alcove has served me well in multiple conditions. We field tested and reviewed it a couple times (recently updated version - accepts 'walls' to block side winds). If properly staked and -- when necessary - guy-lined, it can withstand 25-35 mph winds (as proven on the banks of the Henrys Fork last September: see below).

The Alcove is relatively inexpensive, but has proven durable. The first version I tested has lasted 6 years of HARD use (i.e. weeks of camping each year, lots of wind, rain, snow, etc.)

See reviews at the link below;
    http://www.adventuresnw.net/2012/02/spring-for-quality/

http://www.rei.com/product/794290/rei-alcove-shelter

NOTE: I have also field tested shelters from Kelty, Coleman, MSR, and others. The Kelty Sunshade & Shadehouse products are very good, but have a few negatives that make them less desirable than the Alcove. Specially, they cost significantly more, have lower sides (so harder to get under), and not as easy to set up. They are a LITTLE more wind-stable, but only in those super strong gusts (over 35 mph) and frankly, those happen less than most people think -- most people are really bad at estimating wind strength. As a (former) paraglider pilot whose life relied on accurate wind measurement, I've learned to be very specific and accurate with wind speeds.

[​IMG]

JesseCFowl likes this.