sfr snowing again

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Sweet Jesus!!! It's snowing hard yet again!! The Wenatch-a-hoochie's up about 6 inches, and it's a-comin` down right heavy! Just when I thought Winter was over, and I could begin to get out to places like Rocky Ford for a warmup. It'll probably turn to rain this afternoon. Looks like a "cigar" afternoon for sure!

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The winter is starting to get on my nerves. The colds temps are seriously screwing up my Spring fishing. No snow here, just cold rain.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    No snow in Moses Lake but we are having our third consecutive day of whistling wind.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I haven't had any snow for about almost a month now. Last week we had temps in the low 60's. This week the days started out at 19 degrees and didn't get past 35 degrees. Gotta just love the weather here. Had a winter storm warning in effect last weekend. Got only a trace of snow. Was gone by mid-morning. But when the wind blows and it is about 35 degrees out it is still colder than hell.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Planned a coastal stillwater trip for this Saturday but a rain/wind storm is supposed to move in tonight and hang around through the weekend.

Figures. Rain isn't so bad when fishing stillwaters but wind will literally blow you off a lake.

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Very sorry to hear of your weather. I remember a fishing trip with my dad. It was 1966, early May, Leach Lake had just opened and we were knocking the brook trout crazy. And it was snowing a blizzard.

Lock up the firearms, lose the combination or the key, some of you folks are getting a little "stir crazy", me thinks. Not me, I'm free, I can walk now, run if I want, lift and carry, too, no restrictions so screw the rain, wind and cold. It has been a totally screwed month and a half restricted to the house, I'm glad is over. Constructeur took me out to lunch to celebrate, life is good.

Hahahahaha, I just checked our local forecast here in Libereattle: snow possible Wednesday night.

Karma. Sucks.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    god I wish it was snowing here

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Listening to my NOAA weather radio this morning, I heard that W WA is approx. 4.5" below normal for rainfall so far this year. So we should be happy to get more snow in the mountains for more snow pack.
    I mowed my back yard this morning. Earlier forecast said rain would be here by 11 am. Now it says "rain by afternoon." Rain hasn't hit yet. I shoulda gone lake fishing! Dang! Talk about screwed up priorities!!!:confused:
    At least I leveled the mole hills and got the first scalping in.
    The front lawn doesn't grow as fast. I'll get it in April. Lately, every night has been a frog serenade.

Gene, keep your puffy down jacket on. The extended forecast for the rest of the month is "cooler than normal, with normal precip levels."

9. Jim Wallace

Rain hit here 5 minutes ago, swirling in from the SE. Pray for snow high up!

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Jim, it is supposed to snow in the mountains when the storm hits... but the weather guys have a tendency to be wrong as often as they are correct.

If I must wear a puffy jacket I guess I won't go fishing... I do have a shred of self respect hanging in there :)

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You mowed your back yard. Mine whole yard is a nice shade of brown. I won't get to mow mine until June if it turns green by then. I don't even turn the outside water on until then. If I did it would all freeze up

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I call BS OMJ, last time I was in dillon it was 80° and early april. Things were green where there was water.

13. Jim Wallace

I never water my lawn, except just a little bit in a small area when I'm hosing some gear off. I love to let it go brown and dormant in the summer (brownout hits in late July or early Aug here) so that I don't have to mow it.
    When I was putting my lawn in, a "progressive liberal" friend asked me why I was installing a lawn, inferring that it was "environmentally incorrect." Say what!??? I informed her that I intended to never fertilize or water the damn thing, but that if I didn't plant grass, any old weeds would soon take over and it would be much worse. (She was from the high desert in Utah, where they don't even have mosquitoes, and barely a weed problem like here on the coast (weediest spot on the planet). Her brand of xeriscaping might work in the high desert, but would only cause grief to a fisherman out here on the WA coast.

14. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Alex, hopefully you got some skiing in, Sunday was terrific at Snoqualmie, no crowds and 8-12 of new fluff...

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The danged grass doesn't go dormant at my place. It just slows down during the heat of the summer. So I still need to mow the stuff... just not as often.

This lawn thing is relatively new. It started when people moved out of the cities and wanted a park. At first, they built the houses around a community park. Then folks started planting their own "park". So you can blame this lawn mowing crap on the suburbans. I'm all for a rock garden instead of a lawn but Virginia won't go for it.

16. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Geeeez Alex, you live in the mountains. What do you expect. If you didn't get snow, then I would have to drink beer all summer because there would be no water down here. Now we wouldn't want that, would we? Hmmmm, well maybe....

17. teedub

teedub Active Member

It's com in' down pretty good right now! I just know its gonna quit because tomorrow is the first day of sprrrrinng!

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Quit trying to get on my good side. It has never been in the 80's here until about July. And then it's that temp until September. Well maybe late June. And the grass around my little corner of Montana, doesn't green up until June.

19. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Well, it's snowing hard again, and as I type, we've got about 3.5 inches here in Leavenworth. It's slacking off now, just when two of my buddies are heading over to Red's to do some pheasant hunting. Guess I'll tie some flies!

We did get two new pairs of those Altai Hok "skishoes" this Winter, and I might take them out for a run since there's no prepared tracks available.

Gotta love how the weather wienies from NOAA are telling me the snowpack is below normal. I realize they do snow surveys, but clearly, they haven't ventured up to Stevens Pass this Winter. "Below normal" my ass!

20. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Maybe so, but it looks good from down here. :)