SFR- Suggestions for conceal carry holsters while fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PfleugerPhister, Feb 2, 2013.

1. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Lately I've become more comfortable with the idea of being strapped while I'm by myself up in the mountains and out on sketchy roads while fishing. Not only for the possibility of a run-in with tweakers or other unsavory folk, but also for the brown-furred threat that would want to eat my face off. It seems a percentage of folks carry while fishing in the state, so I'm wondering- What would be the best carry/holster option for hiking/fishing?
  2. troutpounder Active Member

everett
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I carry my gun in the front pocket of my waders and it seems to work great for smaller framed guns. Not if you have a larger hand gun i think a shoulder rig with a vertical hold work work good to keep your firearm high and dry inside your waders and able to be accessed easy.
  3. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I haven't carried since I left the states, but a HK USP .45 compact fits perfectly in the simms inside zipper flap. It also stays dry unless you go all the way in. I did put a paper towel in there on the zipper side though for sweat condensation on colder days.
  4. Seapig Member

King County, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Ditto on the front wader pocket. It kind of bounces around a bit, but I just carry a 5 shot .357 revolver so there's no concern of accidental discharge.
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    Short barreled, pistol grip,12 ga. pump shotgun strapped over my shoulder and carried on my back. Doesn't matter if it gets a little wet and I am the most heavily armed MF on the river. Well, actually I rarely carry while fishing but if I were to do so for self protection this is what I would do.
    Steve Vaughn likes this.
  6. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
    I'm not at all concerned about wild animals...but the human variety do worry me. Tweakers are known to hit trailheads and vehicles in parking lots. If I'm in the woods, I'm armed (and possess a current conceled carry permit).

I'd be very careful about carrying in any sort of pocket without the gun protected in a pocket holster....especially a no safety Glock style handgun. They are quite capable of discharge if something pushes the dual triggers down.

I carry in a cordura fanny pack (usually worn to the front)with an integral holster. Since it's a Glock I don't worry much about corrosion.
  7. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Wader pockets and hip packs work great for small revolvers and pistols. My little revolver fits just about anywhere.

I just ordered this one for my Glock 20: http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

I don't have it yet but It looks like its going to be perfect to wear under my waders and still have easy access to the pistol. I'm not a big fan of the under the arm style shoulder holsters because the gun is in the way while I'm casting the big rods and its a major hassle if I need to wear a backpack. I will post some feedback on the chest holster once I have it.

I also found this one which also looks great for larger caliber guns: http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Good luck on the search.
    PfleugerPhister likes this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1

A comment on the "no safety Glocks"... as in the old days of six shooters loaded with an empty chamber under the firing pin, no one says you need a round chambered. Just rack the slide and you are hot. Having said that I have two Glocks.
  9. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    That's the philosophy I was going to take with it. I figure I can hit the slide as it's coming up and be ready to roll.

I did get somewhat concerned a few weeks ago when I happened across a fairly fresh killed deer right along the river, as I was quite a ways from anything and where there was no human activity. Made me a little sketched out. I wonder though, in the unlikely event of a run-in with Colonel Meow, if I would even see it before it was on me.
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    I always carry with a round in the chamber. Fooling around with a slide just wastes time. Most assaults occur within a few feet. Trigger protected in a holster properly, a condition 1 Glock is perfectly safe.
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Zip lock plastic bag -- keep yer powder dry! Or like Kerry mentions, a trusty 12 ga. tolerates quite a bit of moisture.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    No one says you need to let the threat get within a few feet before you make a judgement call.
  13. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    You need to take a few CC classes. Most human threats (that would result in a lawful shooting in self-defense) don't become evident until the assailant is quite close. Shoot someone you just suspect of harboring bad intent, at some distance, will land you in jail, my friend.
  14. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    I never carried one in the chamber without a holster. I always go with condition 3. Full clip, nothing in the chamber.

Always figured the sound of the slide closing a .45 shell into the chamber would be about as much persuasion as a guy would need.
    Bill Aubrey and shotgunner like this.
  15. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Such are common novice fallacies, but suit yourself!
  16. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I usually carry my Glock 30 in an underarm holster, which is also an under the top edge of my wader holster, and out of sight even without a fishing vest. Although it's a double-stack .45, I don't find it uncomfortable or interfering, even when I'm casting a spey rod. For unwadered wear in warm weather, I go to a clip-on belt holster, which hides the pistol under a loose shirttail.
  17. fjthompsoniii New Member

enumclaw wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Check out simply rugged holsters "chesty puller" system. I have one for my 44 mag taurus tracker. I use it on his loaded sourdough pancake. He designed it for use in waders. the hand made quality is unbelievable! imho you can't go no better!
  18. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    I am secure in my practices and they are done for reasons that suit me, mostly because personal safety reasons. I could not fit the weapon inside the pocket with the holster I own for it. I decided that a safer weapon carried on my person would be a better decision than carrying one irresponsibly.
    Bad-Daddio likes this.
  19. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    No offense intended...without a holster that would, indeed, be the only safe way to carry a Glock.
  20. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    I open carry in the woods. Otherwise, I'd grab a chest rig.