(SFR) Time for a new FFing vehicle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpocket, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    What are you talkin about? I dont know a single subaru owner who isnt proud of the sheer funtionality of the car, 5 inches of snow is no problem. When it was snowing like a mother I was the only person I know who could drive without studs, even 4x4 trucks were stuck then...

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Maybe we don't know the same people.

3. SpokaneFisherman

SpokaneFisherman Member

Media:
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say <strong>Element hands down</strong>.... if you can get past the looks.

4. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    My boss has an element, he hunts and fishes all the time out of it and e loves it.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I have a older Subara wagon,'92. I never wash it and it is now a good two tone color. Light brown on the bottom and a dark gray on the top. I take this piece of shit everywhere. It gets me there and back. Only problem I have with it is sometimes I take it where you can't get out without a tow truck.. It also serves me as a traveling motel and holds a ton of gear. And gets 28 miles to the gallon. And is paid for.

Jim

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    My wife's car is a '98 Forester, we bought it new and it's been a great car. Goes well in the snow and rain due to AWD. It is roomier than the Outbacks as it's "boxier" and the windows aren't so close.

You could car camp with it, but I wouldn't want to sleep in it, too short. We use the F-150 for sleeping in with the canopy on.

We've had 98K trouble free miles, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one...

7. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    One word .. Ford,
    one letter F
    three numbers 150

8. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I am another outback owner. It is an awesome fishing car. I would highly recomend looking at these cars.
    Chris

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    You guys are completely delusional. There is nothing cool about a subaru. Yeah they're functional.... Wow...super.. boring. Lezbaru. :rofl:

10. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Your right ! Functional yes !! Fishing Vehicle yes!! Fishing rig No !!!

11. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    171K on the ol' Ranger with no bitching, whining or fussing. Gas/oil and not much else. Even the rubber has been free so far...2 tire recalls so I'm on my 3rd set without buying any. Holding out till next gen drops in a couple years (finally):

[​IMG]

12. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    People suggesting a full-size pickup are sort of missing the point --he doesn't need low-range and it doesn't sound like any big, heavy boats are in the offing. Yes, they're cooler than small cars, but at more up front and half the gas mileage, it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

And I actually think Subarus are cool, properly equipped. I've got a stereo in mine that will melt your brain, which is the primary element of "cool" in my book.

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i drive a green 1969 datsun 510 station wagon most of the time. what do you know about that? haha. subie all the way. great cars.....

14. newcaster2

newcaster2 New Member

Subarus are made in Lafayette, Indiana. Can't get much more American than that. Plus, it's only American to have the freedom to choose the most versatile, seamlessly AWD cars and wagons on the road, rather than blindly sticking to the concept of the old "Big Three" (especially when the current real Big Three actually includes Toyota and Chrysler is now DiamlerChrysler).

I've taken our Outback into some pretty crazy backroads and woods in search of the rare unpopulated fishing spot, and it's been great.

15. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Leland, that's totally amazing! If I do my math correctly, and assuming you were the original owner, you were logging about 24000 miles a year. Anyone who can keep a vehicle going that long, at that rate of usage, is bound to know some tricks worth sharing. Additionally, I'd guess that with all the experience represented by this board, there must be a gold mine of ideas about maintenance, preparation, storage, functional adaptations, accessories, etc., related to travelling and "off-roading" inr the pursuit of fish.

I think you should convince Chris to launch a new forum for car and truck "survival" issues only, kind of like our own "WFF Car Talk" feature. You could be the host, if only you could find a brother with an Italian surname who speaks with a Boston accent and has an advanced degree from MIT.

(Per CWU Girl - Lezbaru...that's a new word for me!)

16. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

JonB-he was asking for first hand info on a toyota or a subaru, thats probably why no one mentioned american. I drive a chevy truck, my wife drives a jeep. it is her 3rd jeep and i'm on about my 17th chevy truck. i'm all about buying american cars, but thats not what he wanted. i think my truck is the ultimate fishing rig. if not my truck, then the jeep is a close 2nd. i would make lots of american suggestions, but thats not what he was after.

17. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

The new Jeep Patriot looks like it might be a nice selection with good economy and good all wheel drive. I'd stay away from a Escape hybrid unless you were looking for something easy to park in Ballard. That kind of electronic stuff doesn't sound compatible with crummy roads. Its tuff to beat a pickup with rugged tires.

18. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Had to chuckle when I read the above. Down here in So. Or. we had a couple of duzzie snow storms in February. For the fun and games of it, that's when I'd go for a drive in my Jeep Liberty. Of the few other vech. on the road ... the majority of them WERE subi's.:hmmm:

19. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

The patriot is more of a real 4x4 system in the sense that it has 4x4 lock with a shift lever. the compass is an "all wheel drive"(no 4x4 shifter at all)both are about the same size and the patriots have just started landing on the lots. we got our first one last week. they are inexpensive and so far the compass has been a pretty good little rig for us. they are small though, i will say that for sure.

20. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

those 4x4 drivers need driving lessons if they were stuck and your subaru was the only one getting around in 5" of snow. nothing against subarus, i think they're great, but the 4x4 drivers who can't drive in 5" of snow without studs need help badly.