SFR: What are the current good options for a hiking/fishing GPS?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I agree Josh, IMHO a touch screen works for dry applications. Myself being hard on electronics (2 phones toasted by moisture) I prefer something I can get dirty or wet without worrying about it.

The collectors we use at work are moisture resistant but not water proof. We still have to air them out at the end of the day and with the weather we have here sometimes the touch screens get fogged up, making them temperamental.
  2. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I've done my share of sidewalk collection (keeping up with Gov't ADA requirements) in this area. Although it's been a while, collecting data in a creek bed or body of water is more to my liking!
  3. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    A lot of the areas where I have done work are not close to any easily obtained benchmarks that could easily be done by a level traverse. In most cases I have to set my own benchmarks and assign my own starting X,Y, Z values. But you are right running a level traverse is another way to do it with known points.
  4. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    There were a couple of intersections in my neighbourhood that were just redone to comply with ADA rules. I do remember seeing them survey it and thinking it was interesting. I've never done it. Collecting data along a creek bed is fun but definitely presents its own unique set of challenges. I look kind of strange using a total station in waders.
  5. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I won't say I disagree with Kent because I don't have a dedicated GPS to compare it to but I've had great results with two Android phones (LG Dare, now Moto RAZR Maxx) running the Orux Maps GPS app. I use another app to create custom maps from a USGS master and upload them to the phone for offline use. Orux shows and records the route I have travelled, plus gives voice distance and speed hacks every mile. I usually travel to and fish water in dense forests and deep ravines and I have yet to not get a satellite lock. If I shut down my BT and cell sync functions my 3200 mAh battery lasts all day, and I carry either a 1600 mAh charger on all trips plus a solar charger on overnighters. If I am going off trail for any distance I'll carry map, compass, and barometric altimeter that is periodically calibrated at every known landmark elevation.