Shad Darts????

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by earlsmith, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Any of you who have fished the fishery, can you share some of your favorite darts??? I'm a little early, but plan to put the 16 footer in below the islands near Bonneville this june for sure!!!!

Respectfully

Earl Smith

2. I do an anual shad trip each year in the same area you mentioned, we do pretty well with with a variety of flies, experiment, stick to these rules in general and you'll be in the money: Krystal flash tail, green chenile body, and a hot orange or pink bead head. Anil even caught some with a small version of his shock and awe. Think the key is having a green body and a hot head of some sort.

Some pics from last years shad trip, you can see the flies in the fish mouths if you look at the large versions. I can probably dig around my boxes for some flies if you want close up shots.

http://fishing.sleepysheep.org/index.cgi?mode=album&album=/2005/2005.06.08

3. Try the old reliable...

clear Chartreuse 8mm bead free-sliding above a #4 EagleClaw Gold-finish L038...make sure you pinch the back-barb down...

Many many moons ago, when I still lived in Washington, this was the superstar rig for shad at Bonneville.

IMHO and YMMV,
    Mark

4. If you have a good pickled herring recipe these are a great table fare.

Daryle

5. When I fished them on the east coast I used Jim Kerr's Snot Dart aka Jim Dandy almost exclusively. Most of your comet types are pretty good too.

6. I have some Korean friends and according to them Shad is what the royalty ate back in the day in Korea. They love em. The fishier and greasier they taste the more they seem to like it. I was just throwing them in the freezer to use the bellies for halibut in Newport, OR and the main body for crab bait.

I use a bead with a 3/4 inch piece of doubled gold floss held on by an egg loop on a gold hook.

7. Hi folks,

I don't remember the name of the fly, but this is my favorite (and an easy tie). Secure beadchain eyes or painted eyes (better) to the top of a size 6 or 8 hook. Punch a hole in the middle of a section of hollow silver braid and push the eye of the hook through the hole. Cover the hook shank with thread (I like red, orange, or green), leaving the thread down by the hook bend. Tie down the two ends of the silver braid at the hook bend such that one peice is on top of the fly and the other peice is on the bottom. Essentially, the braid should form a shallow triangle with the tie in point by the bend as the tip of the long axis. Tie off the tying thread with a few half hitches or whip finish. Trim the remaining braid that is beyond the tie-in point, leaving about 1/2"; use a bodkin to unravel the trailing braid, creating a silvery tail. I would cover the thread at the tie-down point and along the shank with head cement or even a apply light covering of epoxy. Alternatively, you could fill the whole space in the triangle with epoxy for a bit more weight (I usually don't).

This pattern is fast to tie, easy to produce in different colors (eyes and thread), and sinks well because of the eyes and relatively slim profile.

Steve

8. Could you post a photo perhaps?

10. From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shad

The American or Atlantic shad (A. sapidissima) is a valued food fish. It was especially important in the 1700s; however, many of the rivers where it was common now suffer from pollution. Traditionally it was caught along with salmon in set nets which were suspended from poles driven into the river bed reasonably close to shore in tidal water. It weighs between 3 and 8 pounds and has a delicate flavour when cooked. Though bony, the meat is considered worth the effort, and indeed many esteem it above the famous Atlantic salmon. It is considered flavourful enough to not require sauces, herbs or spices. It can be boiled, filleted and fried in butter or baked. Traditionally a little vinegar is sprinkled over it on the plate. In the eastern United States roe shad (females) are prized because the eggs are considered a delicacy.

11. Back in California I basically fished small comets and dean river lantern style flies. chartreuse and hot pink mostly. I can't speak for this fishery, but I relied on full sink heads, up to leadcore, and short leaders rather than heavily weighted flies. Bead chain was all I used.

12. If you're thinking of shad fishing, read John McPhee's "Founding Fish". You'll turn piscivorous...

13. Here's a picture of Steve's fly. It's called a Cypert's Mylar minnow. Sorry about the bad cell phone pic.

14. can you post some pictures that would be great