shad on the snake

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by luv2fly2, Jun 18, 2013.

1. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I always fish the south shore for shad. I normally do the best early morning. With 9904 over the dam yesterday and high numbers all week you should have a bunch of fish in the river. Let me know you you do.
  2. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    So, if there was the will and the resources, does this mean it would be possible to rework the fish ladders at say Bonneville, to block shad while letting native species through? Thus eliminating the impact of vast numbers of shad fry scarfing up the food in the reservoirs that the salmon smolts need for their slow passage to sea in a dammed up river?

Jay
  3. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    does that mean they stack up below priest rapids? why dont they want shad upriver of priest? the shad did not hit my fly at ice harbor, nada. might go to upriver to lomo next week. mike w
  4. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +142 / 1
    Presumably, but a portion of the run uses the navigation locks at Bonneville, and not the ladder. This is why counts at The Dalles are usually greater than at Bonneville.

I think the reason why they don't want them going above Priest Rapids Dam is that it would provide access to additional spawning habitat, and could increase the overall population size. I posted a thread here a couple days ago that provides a link to an article that shows the link between the dams and shad in the Columbia.
  5. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    it is a fishery that provides enjoyment and eating. i have not caught one but intend to do so some day. what if the shad fishers want salmon/steelhead blocked at some dam? i know it would not happen but it is just a thought. am going to lomo on wed or thurs. mike w
  6. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I love catching shad. One of the most fun fish in the world. The only one that I have ever had to hand, had the fish slip out and then take out more line on another run. The larger females should be in the river at ice harbor this week. I haven't ever fished lower mo. so I have no idea how that might fish. I'll probably give ice harbor one more go this year.