shafe strips

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Globetrouter1, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Globetrouter1

Globetrouter1 Methow Fly Fishing Guide

Does anyone know a Washington based company that installs shafe strips on rafts? Thanks.

2. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I had a Sotar raft that I wanted to add chafe strips to and the factory in Maupin was the only place that I found that would do it. They did have material and adhesive that they said that I could do it myself but they preferred the chafe strip to be 'welded" in place.
    I actually ended up doing nothing and just used it as is.
    jesse

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I have not put on chaffing pads but I have used epoxy to put on patches, which is the same process I think. Do you have the material? If so, I may be able to give you a few pointers on how to do the gluing. If you are talking "welding" as in high frequency, well, I'm no help.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't know any in WA, but there is NRS located on Main Street in Moscow Idaho. If I wanted some added I'd be giving them a call.

5. riverrunr77

riverrunr77 Banned or Parked

chafe strips

I actually watched them install the chafe strip on some tubes while I was picking up my boat in Oregon.

NRS is not good for much other, than selling chinese products and bullying suppliers for cheap prices, they are the reason you cant buy K-pumps anywhere now,they are the walmart of the rafting world I tend to steer clear of them.:beathead:

I have done lots of research on builders and there are none of the small pontoon boat manufacturers that actually make any of thier own tubes. In Oregon there is Sotar and also Canyon whitewater Inflatables where I bought my boat, they make thier own tubes. You may try the option of liquid urethane paint on chafe. Where I bought my boat they heat weld everything excep the chafe , from what I have seen that is usually glued.

I believe west marine sells liquid urethane chafe

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    riverrunr77, you can have your opinion of NRS and I can have mine. Just becasue you are banging your head on a brick wall over it does not change that your opinion is crap and also in the minority of those of us that have had very good products and services from NRS.

What is your affiliation, dare I ask, to Canyon Whitewater Inflatables where you bought your boat and they make their own tubes and let you watched the chafe strips being applied?

7. riverrunr77

riverrunr77 Banned or Parked

My affiliation is they had the best quality boat on the market, and they were close. This is the first post I even announced where I bought it, as everyone who sent me a PM about the boat was answered in private. If you read my previous post I never once mentioned the company while I waited for a month for my boat, because I didn't want anyone else buying there so I had to wait longer ;)

I got the royal treatment of being able to stand near the shop door and peek in while I was tying my boat down :rolleyes: and I saw them working.

And I own west Marine thats why I told him to go there, wow there is one on every forum.

I have been rafting for 20 years and have a few whitewater boats, this is the first whitewater fishing style cataraft I have bought. my opinion of _ _ _ is derived of many in the industry that have dealt with them. And I love to support the USA as we are going broke while all the jobs go over seas. Thats all, simple.

SO BACK TO THE CHAFE STRIPS, The place in Idaho won't put them on because they dont make anything, they are resellers. Maravia could though, they are in Idaho

8. dcm

dcm Member

Media:
    Ok, so dumb question alert (…I know, only dumb people) and apologies for the semi-hijack.

What is the difference between chaffing pads and just regular old patches that you epoxy in place (I might be thinking along the lines of BDD’s post here)? Where would one most commonly need to place these chaffing pads?

Here’s why I ask. I recently acquired an Outlaw Assault and I’ve been doing a little tinkering/modifying it to my liking. So far all I’ve done is add some d-ring patches (glued them on with stabond adhesive) near the back to make securing gear easier. I have some tentative plans for additional mods as I use it more. Anyway, at the top of my list is adding some reinforcement (this would be similar to chafe strips in my mind) to the inside of the tubes toward the front where my boots tend to rest (and rub the tube). I believe I read this is a recommended mod by someone here on WFF. My plan was just to get some patch material and epoxy it in the proper places (similar to adding my d-rings). Hence the questions about the difference between chaffing pads and patches. Is there a reason my plan is fatally flawed? Ill advised? Just plain wrong?

Obviously I’m new to the world of inflatable boats so thanks to all in advance - I really appreciate all your ideas and advice

9. Globetrouter1

Globetrouter1 Methow Fly Fishing Guide

right on guys!

10. N-forker

N-forker Member

Guys-

Abrasion pads on the top of your tubes is probably a good idea if you have an old craft, especially if you have been using a home made, or un-professionally manufactured frame that could wear the rubber or plastic (depending on your MFG.). Again on the bottom for older boats that have seen a long life in low water.

As a preventative measure- probably not too necessary.

Gluing additional strips vs. Paint-On Product- I'll go paint on two part Urethane coating every time. With the proper prep and primer- it will NOT come loose at the edges- you can custom your color by adding pigment and truly wrap corners, do long stretches, and it is pretty easy if you have some masking and paint experience. The fellas at Aire in Idaho can help, and I bet Maravia can spray some on for you too.

If you want to do it yourself- check out Man of Rubber :

http://rivergear.com/

They have all the materials, as well as more experience than just about anybody in the industry- super helpful too.

FYI- I would not recommend Epoxy for raft applications since it tends to be ridgid and brittle once cured- use a recommended adhesive from the boats maker- based on the material your craft is made out of- i.e. Hypalon, PVC, Urethane, etc.

And I still feel NRS is GREAT- even if their boats are Hancho in Mexico- and they source some product from the other side of the ocean- best of luck trying to find all your fishing gear that is made in the US of A. Their frames are the most versatile I have found. If you need help finding a K Pump- I can suggest a couple retailers.....

Cheers!

K-

11. sphixster

sphixster New Member

chafe strips

Is there more than one Canyon inflatables? This one is in Idaho apparently or maybe moved? It is quite possible you bought a cheap chinese pontoon and they just finished it there??? Like put chafe strips on?
    http://www.importgenius.com/importers/canyon-inflatables-llc

And West Marine only sells USA made goods? Or do you bully supplers for better prices I am confused....but that happens easy.:beathead:

12. Builder

Builder Member

chafe strips

Great find Sphix.

13. brightbuck

brightbuck New Member

chafe strips

Is there more than one Canyon inflatables? This one is in Idaho apparently or maybe moved? It is quite possible you bought a cheap chinese pontoon and they just finished it there??? Like put chafe strips on?
    http://www.importgenius.com/importer...nflatables-llc

As someone who is seriosly thinking of dealing with www.*****************.com also Canyon Whitewater Inflatables I have done a little research.
    I would think if you used a little due dilligence before posting such a negative post you would find that the link refrenced to DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH CANYON INFLATABLES / CANYON WHITEWATER INFLATABLES. In fact look up Canyon Inflatables LLC see where it leads / call that number and you will find a very different company. Is it possible one company fronting for another ? Again RESEARCH ! I can not see the reason for anyone making such implications in today's economy. Is there possibly an ulterior motive. As we are all adults read into that as you may. Ok I've had my say - probably not the best first post. I will try to do better.

14. brightbuck

brightbuck New Member

Well sorry to have to update my post to the following:

Well after being jerked around for two years I have to warn / inform the following:

I filed a complaint with Oregon AG which was no help as it seems they need a minimum of 3 -6 complaints before taking any action.

Filed small claims action and Coos County Sherriff cannot serve them as there address on file ( PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS 1212 MEMORY LN , COOS BAY OR 97420 with Oregon Secretary of State Corporate Division does not exist.

If anyone is thinking of entering into a contract I HIGHLY recommend adding the following to your contract.

If buyer or seller defaults all Attorney fees to enforce said contract shall be paid by the defaulting party.

Get a firm delivery date in writing.

Actually pay a visit to manufacturing location or verify it by county records ect.

Deposit of no more than 20 percent down. (why tie up your m0ney? )

And lastly keep detailed records of ALL e-mails ect to verify your claims. I have 80 + pages to dispute all ridiculous assertions made and now I am playing the catch me if you can game. Oh well what was it John Paul Jones so famously said .

FYI - I am from Idaho, almost 60 and due to Girlfriends cancer and treatments I allowed yes allowed this to go on for to long but I hope to save anyone else from my mistakes. The last straw - I was to pick up everything last summer while we where in Oregon. We ( girlfriend and I ) spent two weeks celebrating her recovery and while there I get called and told nothings ready sorry. A month later I asked this question - if the tubes ect where being worked on over a month ago why are they not ready now. Never received an answer and that was our last conversation!

If any additional info desired PM