Shakespeare beaulite

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by loganmike, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Heard it's the same as the jw young 1540. Any opinions? Is 100 a good price for one in decent condition! Looking to line up a T&T 1307 with it.

Thanks

Me

2. J. W. Youngs 1540 is an awesome reel. I really enjoy the 1500 series, having the 1540, 1535, 1530 and 1525 and some various spare spools. I like them better than the Hardy reels that I have. Just a personal preference. That wide drummed 1540 ought to balance your 13' 7wt nice.

3. I snagged one off mumbles in the spring,
    great reel, nuff said.

just wait till you hear one screaaaaaaam :D

4. It will be heavy on a light 13' rod. Good value reels, price is fair if it is in good condition.

5. Blake, pretty sure yours is a 1535, the narrow version compared to the wider drum 1540.

6. I have a 3 3/4" wide drum Beaulite & spool coming in a few weeks. Looking to put it on my 7 yr old son's 11ft 5wt TFO Pro switch rod. Is it too much reel (I.E. heavy) or will it be OK? I also have a 3 1/2" Hardy Uniqua coming in the same package. Any info's appreciated.

7. Between 1965 - 2001, J.W. Young designed and produced reels for a wide variety of companies including but not limited to:

Shakespeare - too many models to list, over 20 models including the Beaudex, Beaulite, Condex & Speedex
    Orvis - Battenkill Ultra-Light, Featherweight, Lightweight
    Daiwa - 800 series & 500 series
    Sage - models 106 & 108
    Bruce & Walker - Expert Fly Reel
    Henry Aiken Ltd - Connoisseur Fly Reel
    G. Loomis - Premier Fly Reel
    Thames Fishing Tackle - Mucilin Brand Fly Reel
    Bob Church - Viking Fly Reel
    L.L. Bean - Guide Series Fly Reel
    Ryobi Masterline - Reflex, Neauvex, 1500 series
    Austin Forbes
    Leeda

During most of this period J.W.Young was under the ownership of Shakespeare

For the definitive history of J.W. Young reels read A Century of the Art of Making Fishing Reels, by Elwyn 'Rube' Attwood, The Medlar Press, 2009

TC

8. Maybe it is just me, but whenever I stop at Cabela's in Coeur D'Alene I feel like I am in WalMart with a lot of taxidermy. My buddy in Alaska has had me stop by there to look at some different things in person, and most of the time they do not have it there anyway. I will be sticking to the local shops.

9. Not sure what this has to do with the original thread topic, but coffee came out my nose thanks to the comparison between Cabelas and WalMart with taxidermy. Very good analogy - thanks for the chuckle.

K

Jeff Dodd likes this.