Shakespeare Model 1094 reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ben Guss, May 14, 2009.

1. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Does anyone know if the
    Shakespeare Model 1094 reel is worth picking up? A friend has a new one for very cheep...

Thanks!
  2. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    what do you want to use it for?
  3. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    a backpacking trout rig.
    Thanks!
  4. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    then all you;ll need the reel for is holding line... go as cheap as possible
  5. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    looks like a pretty cheap-o 4-6wt reel. Probably fine for most trout but not built to last - I wouldn't spend much more than $10 on one.

Eric
  6. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    those were my thoughts, but i'd like something that could take a beating as well...
    Got any recommendations for a light workhorse?
    thanks!
  7. herl Member

the other washington
    Can't beat the Pfleuger Medalist for an inexpensive well-proven design. However, I've found that they do not survive falling off the roof of a fast moving car.. ;)
  8. Drag-Free Drift Member

Lakewood, WA
    I used a Pfllueger Medalist 1492 for backpacking for years. It held enough line, had a good, strong click & pawl and wasn't bothered by being dropped against the occasional rock. 40 yrs. old now and still going strong. If you'd like something a little more modern but still inexpensive, the Okuma Sierra (about size 4/5) would work. I've even seen it on sale for under $20.00, but usually it's more like $30/35. Maybe not quite as tough as the Pflueger, but still plenty stout. It has a disc drag, too, not that one is needed for most backpacking situations. Good luck!
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,224 / 9
    I have had the Okuma Sierra (standard arbor) and Okuma Integrity (large arbor) in mid and light weights and they seem to work fine for me. The Sierra is lighter, the Integrity likely more durable.
  10. troutcatcher6 New Member

Spokane, WA
    I got my backpacking set up for $25 new on ebay. it is a 6 Wt, 8ft 3 piece crystal creek. I just don't like the reel with no drag though.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,224 / 9
    Troutcatcher6, you are the drag for that reel, how awesome is it that you are in absolute control of what that fish does. I just started fishing a dragless and I'm not that good at it but I'm liking it a lot.
  12. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    A Medalist would be a great choice.
  13. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,376 / 0
    A Medalist is a good reel, but they're built a bit heavy for backpacking. A Berkley 554 or 556 is very light, and long out of production, but you might find one on Ebay for cheap. Or any cheap superlight reel from stamped aluminum should be good for backpacking. A backpacking reel for trout fishing doesn't need to be all that durable.

Sg
  14. herl Member

the other washington
    The old Martin reels can pretty sweet too, especially the ones with palmable rims. Available for ~$20 on the big auction site.
  15. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    There are lighter options for a backpacking set up, but I'd put a J.W. Young Pridex or Beaudex in the same camp as a Pfllueger. Classic English clicker. They can be had on ebay for $40-$45 and they're pretty stout.
  16. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    Thank you all for your advice!

Do you have any other recommendations of backpacking reels?

Thanks!
  17. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I'm looking for a new backpacking reel myself. I want an Orvis CFO III or IV click pawl. I believe they are both under 4 oz. I'd take a Hardy Marquis 5 as well or something similar that is 4 oz or under. But they are both up around $200 on ebay.