Shank Flies

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by captbob43, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Being relatively new to the Northwest, I'd like to know what shanks are popular out here for tying shank flies. Thank you.

2. there are all kinds of shanks out there. My favorites are waddington shanks which partridge just started making again. I was using senyo shanks, but found the wire very flimsy and I did not like the lentgh of the returns on the loops, except on the 25mm size. Also, any steelhead hook cut off at the bend after tying make good shanks.

Paul Huffman likes this.
  3. Wadington

5. Thanks. Tried them all and my favorites are still Twist-A-Shanks. What are your favorite WA and OR Winter Steelhead Rivers? Being a relative newcomer, I have to start all over out here. It's really an adventure and I'm truly enjoying the beautiful Rivers.

6. A cheaper alternative is to buy some large salt-water hooks like the Mustad 34007. I use these for big articulated flies like MOALs and just cut off the hook after tying.

7. what area are you currently living in?

8. Like this idea. What size 34007 gives a shank about the same size as a waddington 25 mm?

9. Where do I find out more about Twist-A-Shanks?

10. Mustad 36890.

The only thing they are good for is cutting and using as shanks, because they suck out loud as fish hooks.

11. Hair pins .

12. Twist-A-Shanks are available at (please connect via conversation so as not to violate advertising rules by non sponsors) edited by Ed Call

13. I use the cheap, tin plated mustad 34007DT. I believe it is. Pretty cheap and work great for all my clousers

14. I thought this smelled like an advertisement....

15. Waddington shanks when I can get them. Ultra light SS wire I cut and bend myself when I can't get what I want that is premanufactured.

16. Waddingtons, Fish Skull Shanks, Mustad streamer hooks. Depending on the pattern, I like Tubes better than shanks.

17. ^ I agree. I tied big AJ's first, then shanks which I thought were cool then I started tying on tubes and its was all over after that. I think tubes are by far the best platform for steelhead swinging bugs. I find changing hooks on shanks no matter what platform of attachment you use to be awkward and difficult, especially in cold weather. Also, the material you use if subject to breaking even when the fly and hook are still fine. Tubes are just so much easier and more versatile. Stacking marabou/bunny tubes? Yeah, thats some cool stuff.