Sharp tying scissors, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mozart, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mozart

mozart Chris

So I bought one of the cheaper made in India types from Joe's and seems they're already dull. What do you guys recommend for good fine tip sharp scissors? Could I go to a place like Jo-Ann's and pick up the same quality such as a Dr. Slicks? Reason asking, is there is no dedicated fly shop here in Bellingham anymore so my choices are slim.

2. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    I don't think your going to find something at a craft store that will be as good. I have a pair by Anvil that have held up alright. I keep 3 pair on my desk ,one for wire and heavy cutting,one for cutting fur and feathers to size and then my good scissors for just trimming but ends and thread and other detail stuff on flies. Keeps them sharp for a long time.

3. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
    I highly recommend some Dr. Slick's, and ordering a pair off the interweb is always an option.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    One of the best tying tips I received when I started out was buy top quality, sharp scissors, and not the inexpensive scissors. Don't scrimp. $20-$25 might seem like a lot, but amortize that over how many times they get used, and you can see it's pretty darn cheap for something that will last several years.

The upper-end scissors offered in many of the fly shops will work great. Take them out of the package, if possible, and see how they fit your hand. That's a big deal, to me. It's like casting a rod before you buy it.

I have Thompson, Tiemco/Umpqua, etc., and they are all great. Dr. Slick scissors are a super value.

5. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

Go to a fabric store and look for Gingher (sp) or whatever their nicest scissors are.

Edit:

Just noticed you are in bham. i bought mine at the place across from office max. Very pointy, very sharp.

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    How do you guys sharpen you scissors? I use some fine sand paper and just cut it. Not sure if there is a better way??

7. Nick Riggs

Media:
    Good god, does that work??? I'm too in love with my nice scissors to EVER try that.

8. mozart

mozart Chris

Thanks for the great advice thus far everyone. I'll have to try Jo-Ann's one of these days.

I have about $50 sitting in my Paypal account burning a hole in the internet I need to spend. I'll check out a seller I know who works out of Gig Harbor for the Dr. Slicks.

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I've owned Anvil's and Dr. Slick and the Anvil's stayed sharper much longer than the Dr.'s. They were a little more expensive, but well worth it.

10. mozart

mozart Chris

11. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Don't throw away your original scissors. I use two pairs when tying. My best, sharpest pair are used only on thread, feathers, cheniles, and other soft stuff. The other pair is used to cut tinsel, wire ribbing, etc., anything that's more abrasive or tough. That way the tough stuff doesn't dull your best scissors.

Steve

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Scissors designed especially for fly tying have very fine grooves (micro serrations) cut into the flats on the blades. They're designed to help grip small materials and keep from squirting out as they're being cut. You simply won't find that feature on general-purpose scissors from a sewing or craft store.

Suck it up and order a pair of Dr. Slicks and don't look back. I have several pairs but my favorites are the 4" straight blade ones. The blades are thinner than the 3-1/2s and easier for me to get into tight places.

Chad, cutting sandpaper isn't sharpening scissors - it's ruining them. I took a pair of Tiemcos to a professional sharpener a few years back and he explained how complicated the process is. Don't risk a pair of good scissors, have them sharpened by a pro. Avoid cutting anything besides feathers, fur and thread, your scissors will stay sharp for a whole lot longer.

K

13. mozart

mozart Chris

Well I ended up pulling the trigger on some Dr. Slicks carbide 4" scissors. I didn't save much over retail but the seller is semi-local and I've purchased from him before, so what the heck. Going back into the WA economy.

Edit: Looks like the scissors don't have a serrated edge.

Chris

14. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

I'm with Kent, I take all of my scissors to the sharpener. He charges me $3.00 per pair and its money well spent. He also tightens the screws on them ad polishes them. Buying a good pair of scissors is an investment.
    Randy

15. dazzyd

dazzyd New Member

The BEST scissors I have ever used are my ophthalmic scissors - similar to these Vannas Scissors at the bottom of this page - http://www.sighltd.co.uk/products_osborn.htm

They have really fine points, are razor sharp and fit in the hand beautifully. In the UK they cost £60 ($120?) but worth every penny. Although I've seen some on ebay for as little as $10 - may not be as good though...

I've dumped all my other scissors apart from some cheapo ones I use for cutting wire.

16. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    My bad - I'm hardly surprised as mine don't either!

It was late last night and I wrote that post behind 3/4 bottle of red wine, confusing fly tying scissors with hair cutting ones.

K

17. bfic

bfic Member

http://www.drslick.com/products_scissors1.asp

The All Purpose 4" ($12.00), Razor 4" ($27.00), or Tungsten Carbide 4" ($27.00) all work well - my favorite it probably the tungsten 4". I wouldn't over analyze it too much, they are all considerably better than you are currently using. If you can only afford one pair just cut wire deep in the throat and save the tips for fine work. I've given up trying to buy anything locally - just order them from the big "C".

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Good Gravy Kent! Did you self-administer a haircut after drinking 3/4 bottle of red wine? If so please post a pic.:rofl:

I just got some 4" straight Dr Slick tungsten carbides for the fine work, and my old serrated cheapies are now the heavy cutters.

19. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
  20. Nick Riggs

Media:
    Alot of fly tying scissors do have serrated edges, my Dr. Slick's do. It all depends on the model but, like hair cutting scissors, it's just for trapping material in the blades as they close instead of having it slip out, which is why some scissors with serrated edges are marketed as "hair scissors", for cutting deer hair, or any other various fly tying hair. Personally, after using a serrated pair of scissors, I'll never buy smooth bladed ones again.