Sharp tying scissors, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mozart, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
  2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I doubt that you can have the serrated scissors sharpened more than once if at all, without loosing the serration.

I use the Arrow and the All Purpose and a set of Anvil for heavy duty stuff. When I eventually wear out the serrated scissors I would like to try a set of the Carbide. Carbide is hard as heck with a crystalline like structure to the metal, that makes it very brittle.
    If you are fairly new to tying you will probably nick them before you dull them.

TC

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I do cut my own hair, just not after 3/4 bottle of wine! I do it in the morning but try to limit the amount of coffee I have beforehand.

K

4. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

I've been using the Dr Slick carbides for the past couple of years and love 'em. I've re-sharpened the tips once and they work without equal.
    Scott

5. mozart

mozart Chris

Good to hear Scott. Looks like I made a wise choice with the carbide Slicks.

6. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98 Member

iagree the ginghers are awesome,I have 2 pair,and the sewing shop has a sharpener guy come once a week,but they last a longggg time

7. mozart

mozart Chris

Got the scissors in, love semi-local sellers. Gosh. The craftsmanship between these scissors and my cheapos is evident the first time you pick them up. Then when you start cutting. The feeling is similar to holding a point and shoot then holding an SLR. Or drinking a Budweiser then having a Boundary Bay Scotch..the list goes on. Tough spending the $25.00 on it but not regretting it now.

8. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Non-serrated fly tying scissors can be sharpened by a professional scisor sharpener. There used to be a guy who hung a couple of evenings a week in the back booth at the Blue Moon in the U. District. He would sharpen any and all scissors. He did a good job on my fly tying scissors.
    Check with your barber He/she may be able to direct you to a scissors sharpener -- if they aren't serrated.
    Les

9. Dean Edwards

Dean Edwards Fllyfishy

I have anvil, Dr,. Slicks, and Tiemco. I really like the Tiemcos. I have had them sharpened, and they were good as new. The Dr. slicks do have micro serations(sp), whitch would be gone after one sharpening.

I went to the local fabric shop to find out who does their sharpening. I met the guy, and he said he could sharpen my sissors. I have had him sharpen all my knives and sissors ever since.

10. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    I like my doctor slicks, and I have heard a lot of good things about the carbide line.

11. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Fingernail clippers also work well for wire, etc.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    As an update, I was tying last night and using my 3" Dr. Slick scissors when I happened to notice that the small flat on one of the blades is indeed serrated but not the other. Guess I wasn't confusing them with haircutting scissors after all!

K

13. billyspey

billyspey New Member

serration on scissor can be replaced when sharpened properly. dr slicks are made in pakastain not good quality tools if you get a good pair you will be lucky if you want a good quality . buy german brand much better quality last along time i have a pair of german sizors for over 20 yrs still work i have sharpened them a couple times , expect to pay over $100. for quality. i make my living sharpening scissors and surgical instruments. CUTTING SANDPAPER OR ALUM FOIL WILL NOT SHARPEN SCISSORS BUT A GREAT WAY TO DULL THEM .

14. billyspey

billyspey New Member

SERATION ONLY AIDS IN CUTING HAIR AND CDC,

15. mozart

mozart Chris

No way in hell I would have paid up to or over $100 for a pair of scissors. That's just insane.

As an update, still happy with my Slicks. Still as sharp as the day I received them.

16. billyspey

billyspey New Member

thats good i glad you are happy with slicks and i am sure he is . check back in 5 yrs and see if they are still working as today. if you don't care for quality that fine with me. to each his own.

17. backcast

backcast Born To Flyfish

Ask your hairstylist if he or she has a pair they don't use, if they need sharpening ask if they would give them to thier sharpener, of course you will pay for that and it's usually around $15.... I can tell you [being in the business] that these are the very best steel and hold an edge for a long time.... Now, there is another source..... Medical shears, they are very sharp and a medical supply should have these..... Also manicuring shears, if you can find the straight blade, are extremely sharp and also hold an edge.... some of these may cost a little more, but the steel is why stay so sharp...... Good fishing