Sharpening methods for rod makers

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +248 / 1
    Going from 1000 directly to 8000 is quite a jump.

As a furniture maker in a former life I have spent many, many hours behind a set of sharpening stones. I can say without doubt that you will spend less time "rubbing the rocks" if you add an intermediate grit between the 1000/8000. Norton sells a 4000 grit for just that purpose. Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time with the 8000 removing the relatively deep scratches caused by the 1000, they will also be sharper.

Norton also sells a silicon carbide flattening stone to keep those soft water stones flat. It is quicker, easier and less mess than wet paper on a flat surface.

If you're going to invest in a set of stones you will ultimately save time, money and bother if you go the whole nine yards.

My 2c
    TC
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    I don't do rods, but will work in wood; when I'm thinking of getting the bench chisels worked up, I use the waterstones Japan Woodworker in Berkeley (CA) sells. i figure you can't get much better than 15000 grit. 8K puts a pretty good edge on my skinning knife, too!
  3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Good info, Tim. I have considered the 4000 and will probably make that investment. I will also look into Norton's flattening stone.

Alex.....I LOVE Japan Woodworker! They've gotten a lot of my money over the years!!!
  4. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Thanks Tim, I would like to add the 4000 and the Norton silicon carbide flattening stone also to my tool bench next time I have some bucks to burn on rod making tools. So many cool tools and things to want in this hobby.
  5. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Boy, isn't THAT a truth!!! I once thought collecting and shooting vintage scatterguns was expensive. The problem is, we can usually afford a couple hundred bucks for some tools or other stuff. I drew the line at $287K for the Tsar's Parker though!!