SHELL BACK NYMPHS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Nov 30, 2013.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Just wanted to post my Thanksgiving weekend ties.. I have a ton more to tie in order to fill all my extra boxes but I have 10 more months here in Korea to do so, possibly 22 months if I extend..

I was planning on putting some Olive Green flex skin, like the others, but my thread kept tearing the material... Should I put some clear goo on the "GREEN SPARKLY ONES" in order to give it a shell back? Hook sizes are 8's and 12's... NEED TO BUY 10's...

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Attached Files:

Jeff Dodd, dfl, McNasty and 4 others like this.
  2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Looks like you have lots of empty slots to fill. Should keep you busy. Nice.
    Jack

3. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

nice work

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

I use a material called Scud Back from Hareline. It is very durable and I have no problem with it tearing.

http://www.hareline.com/4sb.html

Odd, I've become interested in adding shell backs to GRHE patterns. I like the two-tone effect that is found with natural nymphs. So for the last few weeks, I've been tying GRHEs in a multitude of colors with darker shell backs. Evidently you were doing the same thing!

Stay safe.

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Try the speckled thin skin is really good for Czech nymphs. Also try the shrimp foil.

6. tkww

tkww Member

I'm a big fan of thin skin and a razor blade, metal ruler, and cutting mat. In just a few seconds you can cut a strip that is just about any width, which is my biggest beef with stuff like scud back that is a predetermined width. Thin skin has some awesome color choices too.

7. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

Hareline Scudback substitute

I have found a replacement for Hareline Scudback that is identical to the original. Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

[​IMG]

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

[​IMG]

This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

[​IMG]

Alexander likes this.
  8. GAT

GAT Active Member

Funny you should mention that. We discovered the elastic bands at fabric stores many moons ago before fly shops started selling the stuff. We didn't bother coloring the elastic because we were using it to tie scud patterns so no color was required.

As with most of our synthetic tying materials, the product was originally used for something else. Antron, for instance, came from the carpet industry. We would acquire bits and pieces of waste antron carpet from a local floor covering store and use a blender to turn the stuff into dubbing. I wrote a short piece called "Rug Dubbing" that showed the process. Then of course antron dubbing started showing up as tying material.

Dome type eyes started out as doll eyes available at craft stores.

I'm friends with an ACE fly tier and photographer who worked at McKenzie Flies (before it went belly up when it changed owners) and he was in charge of research and development for new tying materials. Both he and I would cruise fabric, craft and floor covering stores looking for possible tying materials. He'd send me some weird-ass non-flytying product and ask if I could come up with a use for it in flytying. He ran into the stretch type tubing long before it was sold in fly shops.

It really is amazing what you can turn into flytying materials that you buy at stores that sell products for some other purpose.

9. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Carpet samples from The Home Depot are my source for Rug Dubbing.

For shiny backs...I just use freezer ziplock bags, cut into strips....works just fine.

Alexander and Kaiserman like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

As I was working my way down the thread I was thinking I should tell them about ziplock bags! :D. Right on!

FinLuver likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I was just thinking on using that on my P-Sound amphipod pattern. I think a simple Chzech Nymph in the proper colors could work dead drifted in a seam on an outgoing tide!

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Attached Files:

13. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I have tried zip lock bag material vs the clear elastic and I prefer the elastic. I think it molds to the curved shape much better and it is cheap at the craft stores.

I don't know that it makes any difference to the fish, but it just looks better on the fly.