Shewey-McNeese-Johnson Et Al Speys

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Southsound, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    These are some patterns that I have been working on while studying the flies and techniques of Mr. Shewey, Mr. McNeese, and others. I have been experimenting with using double hackles of one color then another, trying to achieve contrasts that would work in different water. Anyway, it's been a great way to pass this winter. Critiques please...

BTW... I got a copy of John Shewey's Steelhead Flies for my birthday. All I can say it "Thank You!" and "Kudos!"... a great piece of work.

Regards

Steve Cole
    Tumwater WA
  2. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Very nice ties...especially for a first-timer. I'm no spey expert, but you might lighten up on the spey hackle just a skosh. The mix of colors is great. I've messed around w/ speys a little and they didn't look nearly as nice as yours.:thumb:
  3. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Good work, and yes less is better I have learned on speys and many other types of flys.

:thumb:

BG
  4. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I'm inclined to agree with Big Tuna. The "Wow!" factor with spey hackles comes from their fiber length, not from their density, which can be matched with saddle, schlappen, and other feathers. I usually strip one side of a spey feather stem, which makes it easier to see that multiple-stage body structure. Normally, I strip the side with the shorter and/or broken barbs. If stripping one side exposes white understem, I color it with a felt marker pen.

Your spey flies are well beyond beginner efforts. Your wings are better than most of mine.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    Very nice ties Steve
  6. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    Hey Steve those are great looking flies! McNeese and Shewey are my top two influences also. Have to agree with the less bulky hackles. I found this out from experience. The full hackles look great but when you fish em youll notice your fly swimming upside down! Those flies are awesome though. Just experiment with the fullness of your hackles and watch your flies swim in the river and you will find that perfect amount and put it all together so it swings the way you meant it to. Just remember its a never ending experiment!!!!!!!! Kevin
  7. Will Atlas Guest

8. Marty New Member

Heber, Utah
    Steve great work. One thing that you will come to find is the amount of hackle you use will also affect the sink rate. Your ties are very consistent and nicely finished. I like the thread to end right at the eye, to me it look cleaner, but if that your style and works for you that’s what it is all about. Again great looking flies.
  9. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hey all... thanks for the feedback and complements. I always feel like I need to make those scarce blue-eared pheasant hackles stretch so I do fold them. Have been working on getting the spacing a bit wider so as to make things a little more sparse as suggested. Just got a "hackle shot in the arm" with a purchase of some white-eared pheasant this past weekend. Haven't worked with that variety before but from what I can tell they should be comparable to the BEP. Just curious, the marabou variations on these would seem more bulky and denser... does marabou sink better?

Thanks again... more ties later.

Steve
  10. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    South Sound,
    Marabou works very well, just use the prime stuff (well defined fibers) and strip one side. Have been tying speys with marabou for a long time; great substitute for heron.
  11. Nate Newman "nice"

WA
    I wish I could tie like that but most of the time I end up over doing it on the hackle, awesome flies!