Shiny stuff

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Catching Nemo, May 9, 2014.

  1. Catching Nemo

    Catching Nemo New Member

    Hi All,

    Sorry if a similar question has been asked before...

    What is the shiny tinsel woven material shown on this jig? Suggestions on where to find it?


    Attached Files:

  2. ScottP

    ScottP Active Member

    Looks like pearl mylar tubing, tied in and frayed. Just about any flyshop should carry it.

    plaegreid and GAT like this.
  3. Jim Darden

    Jim Darden Active Member

    I'd guess it is pearl diamond braid like you use on "gotyas" or small pearl mylar tubing as Scott suggests. Either would work.....You ain't going over to the dark side are you?....;)
  4. Catching Nemo

    Catching Nemo New Member

    Thanks everybody. I was able to find the material at a craft store (JoAnn Fabrics). Sells for about $3 for 20 yards.

    Tempting to go a bit to the dark side just for shad. I love catching those suckers.
  5. Pat Lat

    Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

    The joannes stuff is quite a bit bigger, and more coarse. I like the 5/32 pearl Mylar, even though the joannes stuff is dirt cheap in comparison