Shipping smoked salmon

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by John Dougher, Dec 27, 2010.

1. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

I'd like to send some to friends in the mid west. Smoked it myself and fish is vac sealed. Can I get away with standard UPS @ this time of year?
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    john

2. Ray

Ray Active Member

I did it last year at this time via USPS two day air. It will probably be ok to ship ground if it's vac sealed and frozen when it leaves. A styrofoam insulated container will help as well.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You should be fine this time of year sending it ground. I send salmon to friends and family in midwest every Christmas. Unless they expect a sudden heat wave no worries. If you do ship UPS ship it on a Monday. That way it won't sit over weekend.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    BTW frozen is good. But in a styrafoam container with dry ice is best (how most meat and seafood companies do it).

5. Chef

Chef New Member

is it hot smoked or cold smoked? If it is cold smoked... on ice is best. Hot smoked you will be fine.

Three day priority is best.

6. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Thanks for the info

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

A mid west shipment, like from here to Milwaukee, should take about 6-7 days via regular ground.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Are you talking UPS or mail Scott? Should be 4 business days 5 max if shipped UPS. Its 7 days max to tip of Florida. Now if you mean you've shipped midweek and include sat and sun you'd be right. Why I said ship on Monday. Would get there by wed or Thursday.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oops that would be thurs or fri.

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

USPS Priority Mail Flat rate box...3 day delivery almost 99.9% of the time.

11. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Earlier post, Ray, mentioned freezing smoked salmon b4 shipping. I'm new to smoking and have never frozen smoked fish. Any difference in taste? If you know that you are going to store smoked fish in the freezer, should fish be smoked a little longer, drier?
    "Inquiring minds want to know..."

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Depends a bit on your smoking method. Hot or cold smoke?
    I prefer to "dry brine" and "cold smoke" low (about 90 degrees) and slow.
    When it's finished, I will put it in the oven at 165 degrees for sufficient time to raise the internal temp to that setting. This will kill any bacteria and give it a longer "shelf life". I may or may not coat it with a bit of honey/teriyaki glaze at this time.
    If I freeze any, I will thaw it slowly over a couple of days in the fridge.
    This prevents it from thawing too quickly and having the frozen water crystals in the fish from breaking down the consistency of the flesh.

13. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Jerry:

I get 100's of packages from Milwaukee each year, 6-7 days is standard. I also have to ship returns, pretty much the same both directions.

(6) days for this one.

Tracking Detail Help

Your package has been delivered. To view Proof of Delivery, please select the link.

Tracking Information
    Tracking Number: 1Z9862980340675318 Status: Delivered
    UPS has delivered the shipment.

Residential deliveries that do not require a signature may be left in a safe place, out of sight and out of weather, at the driver's discretion. This could include the front porch, side door, back porch, or garage area. If you have instructed the driver to leave the shipment with a neighbor or leasing office, this would be noted on a yellow UPS InfoNotice left by the driver.

Delivered Delivered On: 12/20/2010 10:13 A.M. Signed By: OTZELBERG Location: DOCK Delivered To: CUDAHY, WI, US Shipped/Billed On: 12/14/2010 Type: Package Service: GROUND Weight: 4.00 Lbs

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Scott I've worked for UPS for 23 years. From your track it only took 4 business days. Why I said its always best to ship on a Monday. We don't work saturdays or sundays so ground and most air shipments halt on weekends. Why a lot of medical companies won't ship end of week. Say you ship a package from Seattle to Tacoma on a Friday and its delivered on Monday. That's still a one day shipment. A lot of people miscount days.

Also shipped/billed isn't always the day it goes out. That's the day the company processes it into their worldship but doesn't mean that's the day it goes out. Had a customer who is a gunsmith who processes shipment and prelabels box but holds until creditcard clears. Have watched a box sit for 2 weeks with a label on it. Pickup scan is the key on a track when the package was shipped (a physical scan that is).