Shopping for GPS....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    I think I'm sold on a Garmin eTrex Summit but if any of you out there have some input pro or con I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

~Chris
  2. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I HAVE THE GARMIN ETREX VENTURE... LOVE IT... PUTS ME RIGHT ON THE SPOTS IN NO TIME.... IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, ITS ABILITY TO WITHSTAND WEATHER WAS A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE REST, BUT I MAY BE WRONG IN THINKING THE REST DOESNT DO JUST AS GOOD. THE PRICE ALSO WAS WHAT KEPT ME FROM GOING HIGHER UP THE LINE. ... THE SUMMIT DOES ALTITUDE, BUT I DIDNT SEE A REAL BENEFIT FROM THAT... I LIKE THE FACT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD OFF THIER WEBSITE TO KEEP IT CURRENT.
  3. Flyfisher Frank New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Chris and Yakima howdy, Wish I knew more about the GPS as I've been thinking about getting one for a couple years now. I don't even know enough to ask you any really technical questions. Perhaps you could tell us how you use it or intend to use it for flyfishing? Flyfisher Frank :DUNNO
  4. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    My plan is exploring remote area's more (Alpine Lakes, upper reaches of tribs, ect..) and being able to map my paths to and from those areas. Find a nice hole? Plot it. Get home, download it on the PC and save it to my TOPO map program. (Washington TOPO! now owned by National Geographic)

As the price continues to come down, the functionality continues to go up I'm seeing more and more folks using them. Who knows, maybe here soon we'll have GPS coordinates commonly used when describing where we fished. Example:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/images/maps/map1.jpg

The reason I'm keen towards the Garmin eTrex Summit is that it's small, has an electronic compass, altimeter and more importantly is water proof. I've lost a few cell phones and 2-way radio's to the streams and will opt for something that can hold up against water if it's an option.

~Chris