short rod myth

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Arron said it way back in his first post. After this statement there really isn't much else that needed to be said.

Oh, except a quote from Scott O'Donnell; "long bellies are for fags". I am going to assume he could have meant long rods also.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    LOL!!!

Leroy, you're fishing and got one person to bite. Its not rocket science but you seem to want to validate your question, which I'm detecting you now realize is a silly question, which is why you're working harder to find validation. Why is it that you're not taking any merit in the 90% of posts that are not validating what you are looking for, but have productive info? So, you were bored or were drinking; get over it.

3. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Manhandle-
    You really have not a clue, but anyone who regularly reads you condecending posts to literally everything you resond to on this forum already know's that- You seem to have the same sindrome that many guys have that spend more time behind the computer screen than on the river do. Anytime anyone disagrees with your opinion , you talk trash,put them down etc. You were challenged here on your "opinion" , and when it didn't work out for you, and you were exposed, like usual, you bash the subject and or the poster , and tell all what is going on behind scene . Nice work pal- :rofl: Your posts speak for themselves . My question was very simple , only a couple wanted to turn it into a pissing match . Happens all the time, no worrys here- The dialogue went well, and I learned some things, unlike professionals like yourself who have it all figured out :rofl:

Nobody asked or forced you to respond to anything here. You as usual, are clueless , I love the way you explained it all to us though:rofl::rofl: - You fool nobody-

See ya on the river- I'll be the guy with the switch rod on the snake -

:thumb:

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    On second thought, you're right. You win.

5. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    Wasn't looking to "Win" Just wanted to discuss something on spey casting and fishing- That was all .On with where we were befor the hyjack ...

6. younggun

younggun New Member

Media:
    personally i fish short rods, and fish skagit lines. I don't see the use of a rod over 14ft IMO. I don't need a thunder stick that big for any of the fishing that i do. Whether it be the thompson, squamish, pitt, you name it. Most steelhead travel upstream through the path of least resistance unless forced away from that path. Which in most cases is generally on the inside seams near the shore. I fish everything from my 10'6 6wt all the way up to the 9140. But in reality i don't need to throw that 9140 much farther than i throw my switch. My only reason for up sizing in gear is for size of fish, size of water, and size of fly. How many people in the steelhead fly fishing industry can say that they consistantly catch fish at the 120ft mark? compare that to the number that can say they have caught them at the 45ft mark. If fishing a long belly, sure a long rod is great, but for the fad that skagit casting and big flies has become. There is really no fishing use for the thundersticks anymore. Plus i find landing fish on my shorter rods much easier than on the big ones. I hate watching people half beach a fish, drop the rod in the rocks and run down to the water to grab a scrambling fish. Either learn how to land fish with the big stick, or don't fish it.

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    pop a midol and take a nap man. this entire thread (why i read it, i'm not sure) smelled of boxed wine and soap operas. match the rod to the water. i think that is what literally everyone has said. you've ignored every word that didnt validate your "point." this wasnt a discussion about anything really. i'm not sure what really happened. i feel dirty.

go ahead, fish 15 footer on the ronde. do whatever it takes man. you dont need anyones approval.

8. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Yeah Kerry, I figured it was either that or the middle-aged syndrome of getting your rod and your 'gun' confused.

Nothing wrong with fishing a long rod. But talk about it too much and people will wonder what you're compensating for?

The Internet - once upon a time it was for sharing information, stories, and pictures of good times. Now it's just good for a laugh-

Cheers,

Brian

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Brian

I got nothing against fishing a long rod. My fishing partner fishes long rods and longer lines. I own a 15' 6" rod that I will break out every once in awhile. The thing is a cannon and is a blast to cast. I don't like to fish it because it just doesn't match up to my style of fishing. I don't spend much time playing with rods. For me rods are only tools for casting flies and catching fish. For the style of fishing I prefer to do a shorter rod and a Skagit line is the best tool. It has nothing to do with whether I can cast it easier or better. Given some time I can cast any rod/line combo out there and likely make it work for where ever I am fishing, thus the quote I posted of Arron's. There are no myths to this stuff. Nor is it rocket science as someone stated. There are only bad casters and shitty fishermen.

Scott's quote? Well I can give the link to his original post on speypages if you think it would make any difference. It is a very informative post ended by that comment. Perhaps to tell us to quit taking this stuff to damn seriously. It is only fishing.

I forgot to add; the only way to fix bad casting and shitty fishing is to spend time on the water. Preferably with someone that knows what they are doing.

10. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    LOL... You're funny....

11. Leroy Laviolet

Media:

Another tool in the shed...
    Like some , you read and learned nothing-

12. Chum83

Chum83 New Member

omg its fishing people..................either you dig a short spey rods or a long spey rods who gives a shit what u use as long as you have fun, fun being the key word hear................jesus

13. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Originally Posted by younggun
    personally i fish short rods, and fish skagit lines. I don't see the use of a rod over 14ft IMO. I don't need a thunder stick that big for any of the fishing that i do. Whether it be the thompson, squamish, pitt, you name it. Most steelhead travel upstream through the path of least resistance unless forced away from that path. Which in most cases is generally on the inside seams near the shore. I fish everything from my 10'6 6wt all the way up to the 9140. But in reality i don't need to throw that 9140 much farther than i throw my switch. My only reason for up sizing in gear is for size of fish, size of water, and size of fly. How many people in the steelhead fly fishing industry can say that they consistantly catch fish at the 120ft mark? compare that to the number that can say they have caught them at the 45ft mark. If fishing a long belly, sure a long rod is great, but for the fad that skagit casting and big flies has become. There is really no fishing use for the thundersticks anymore. Plus i find landing fish on my shorter rods much easier than on the big ones. I hate watching people half beach a fish, drop the rod in the rocks and run down to the water to grab a scrambling fish. Either learn how to land fish with the big stick, or don't fish it.
    LOL... You're funny....

I agree funniest post in this thread!

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't catch fish so landing them on the 11' to 14'3" two hander has not yet been a factor.

15. younggun

younggun New Member

Media:
    I don't see the humor in my post?

16. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    I agree -
    Anyone else want to read the original question and take a shot at it?
    We've dispelled rocket science, skagit lines , no back cast room ,and many other things that had nothing at all to do with the original question ! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Learned that Some spend to much time on the internet, some need to take midol, and some are completely clueless as to how to read and understand a simple question :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Actually, my agenda(not according to some who know more than I about my motives :rofl: ) was to spice up theslow moving spey forum, ( See original post) and learn a little something about short rods that I may have missed in my minimal use of them .
    We have the most hits on the spey forum since jan. 14 , not bad-
    Now, maybe back on track >>>:hmmm:

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Let me see. There is no difference between casting the two. One is not easier or harder to cast. Any particular length of rod will cast the way it casts. It is the caster that has to learn how to cast the rod not the other way around. Your question has been answered over and over again. You don't seem to like the answers provided so why don't you answer the fucking question yourself so we all can know. Jezzus fucking a khrist give it a fucking rest already.

18. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Please do stick a fork in this thread [​IMG]. . . .

19. Leroy Laviolet

Media:
    Pure class Kerry, I'll just let you stand behind this- Amazing -

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Scoones...................Please.............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.