Short swats

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Sean Beauchamp, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I wanna start carrying a rod/line for picking apart little holding lies tucked in close where little 20' casts with short often light sink tips are the order. I want something integrated so I don't have running line junctions clunking through my guides. Thinking maybe a switch chucker or an ambush might do the trick but not 100%. I'm thinking my 896-4 XP may be a good tool for this. Anyone have experience in this department before I drop $80 on a line?

2. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Airflo's Bass/Musky line does this really well. Short/fat head for turning over big flies/tips with an integrated running line. I run it on that same rod(favorite single-hander of all time) and it works great.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/bass.php

JS likes this.
  3. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

During the summer, I often fish such water using my Echo 5 weight switch rod, an Ambush triangle taper shooting head, and a 10 foot M.O.W. tip with a 5 foot section of T-8. (As a side note, if I need to get down a little more, I just switch to a weighted fly.) If I had it to do over, I would have purchased the entire line and not just the head, for the exact reasons you mentioned. But otherwise, I am pretty happy with it.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Make sure to try the switch chucker before you buy it. I'm not at all impressed.

5. briansII

briansII Member

Another vote for an Ambush line. When I read what you wanted to accomplish, this line immediately popped into my head. Spey and rollcasts great, and overhead casts like nobody's business. Not the best mending lne, but still better than a head with running line.

briansII

6. CLO

CLO Bonk Hatcheries

Media:
    Chucker is better than Ambush if you are throwing heavy flies and sink tips. Plus the mending section is reason alone to get the line when compared to Wulff. I have fished them both and prefer the Chucker. (also for fast rods like your XP you will want the added grain weight provided by the chucker)

Chris Johnson likes this.
  7. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    My buddy picked one up for bobber fishin,, it was painful. Mending in that application was laughable but it did seem like it had a use for sink tips and streamers.

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Short head/integrated running line, ambush ftw. Inspect it first, I've gotten bad ones off the shelf where the running line had flaws in the coating near the head. Only really bad thing is that they tend to wear out at the loading point. I got about a season and a half of heavy use out of my last one off the beach spey and over hand casting. I think not rinsing the salt off daily made the line more brittle. And the loops kinda suck.

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Ambush is good for overhead, not that awesome for nymphing or swinging.
    Speydicator is the best for nymphing - floats like a pool noodle. Hucks t11, but it's ugly.
    Rio Switch is ok for nymphing right out of the box, sinks and requires floatant treatments after 6 trips. Good for swinging summer flies, but nothing over t8.

I've just resigned to a speydicator for nymphing and compact skagit for swinging.

10. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Switch chucker is amazing when paired right on the rod. Just be careful, the 5wt switch chucker grain weight is messed up. Avoid that line at all costs.

11. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    I don't see any bobber fishing in my future, this setup will be kicking around the boat to swing/strip/high stick those little bath tubs people walk by, stand in and cast over.

12. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    If its for boat fishing don't get the switch chucker. Its designed for more spey type casts. Get the ambush

13. cnnorgil

cnnorgil Member

I just got the Airflow 40+ line for my switch rod, could be a good option for your situation

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I have had the Ambush 8wt for 5 years and I still like it. It is beat to shit and I will likely replace it.

Just don't get stuck on big water with just this line, you will be cursing.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  15. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
  16. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I run a 6wt Ambush on my 8 wt. single handers. I add a Delta spey replacement tip 6/7 sink 3 or sink 7 primarily. This is a 13' tip that I cut back to 9'. This puts the sink tip at about 50g. I've also cut back an intermediate 6 wt. Versi-Tip to 50g and it works well.

With this configuration, there is minor overloading on overhead casting at about 65-70' where the loop wants to tail. An 8 wt. single hander is lined perfectly with this rig for single hand spey.

I can get a demo line & tips in the mail tomorrow if you're interested. ed@theconfluenceflyshop.com
    Ed

Oh, and it's also a great 6wt shooting head line as well as a gem to cast on the Echo SR 5 wt. switch.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  17. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

Sean- for what you are describing I would look strongly at the Jim Teeny Chuck & Duck fly line in the 8' version. No loops to bother with.

Would work nicely for high-sticking flies though rock gardens like on the Sol Doc.

18. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    I'm intrigued by the ambush, would the 6wt version line my 6119 tcx enough to strip some bull trout streamers around?

19. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Ambush. It's flat out the best line I've ever used for that type of fishing...works great on slower rods as well.

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  20. Sean Beauchamp

Media:
    Thanks for the generous offer! I have all the tips I need for this line, I'm gonna take your word for it and go ahead and pull the trigger. Sounds like exactly what I'm after. If it's too light for double duty on my switch rod so be it... Thanks again.