Short swats

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Sean Beauchamp, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    6 wt is 235 gr I'd go heavier if I were putting it on a switch. It lines my 9'7wt nicely, but I have a friend that has the 350gr on his 4wt switch ONE for spey casting on the beach, and the 10wt ambush on his 6wt switch

Sean Beauchamp and porterHause like this.
  2. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    as far as lining, just like with a spey rod, different people like different loads. I like the 8wt Ambush (290gr) for my SH 7/8wt glass because it loads nice and deep, but some may not like it like that (not very good for overhead casting, but excellent for single-hand spey casting, which rules on small coastal steelhead streams with lots of brush).

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I see what you're saying pat but I will be adding grainage with sink tips which will add a noticeable amount of load. I think the line will be nuts on for my SH 896 which is really all I care about. If I could make it work on my switch for trout streamers that would be neat but I'm not worried. Besides casting distance is a moot point when the steelhead are sitting so close you can spit on them. I want a rod handy that will limit me to close quarters and allow me to make a better presentation in those little buckets instead of tempting me to over cast and over wade. It's a little niche and won't get used everyday but I bet it picks up its share of fish when the time is right. But then again maybe not? It'll be fun messing around with anyways... Thanks for all replies. It's been helpful.

Pat Lat likes this.
  4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Also keep in mind that the ambush 6wt is an 18ft head where the 7wt is 20ft not too much heavier, arond 270 but the extra length might help it anchor better on your 6119

Chris Johnson likes this.
  5. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    You ever pick up a FF858, Sean? I have been using that with an 8wt Ambush and it is tits. Super sick for some of the little lower C tribs. Got some nasty boat swings on the Klick last year, too. Same line on that 896-xp is a little heavy with a tip, but pushes big flies and roll casts like a champ.

Sean Beauchamp and Randall Clark like this.
  6. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    No never did find one and then in my journey impulsively bought two other trout glass rods and had to cut myself off. Wups! Maybe this year.... Never thought of the single handed rod for boat swinging. That's legit! That's another great use for this new setup.

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I got teased a lot for boat swinging.. I learned to do it on the klamath. It works amazingly well, when it works.

8. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Sean, I'll look forward to hearing what you think about the Ambush line 6wt on that rod...It's one of my favorite combos. I know you're looking for a short swat line but don't sell it short on distance in tight quarters. Pretty awesome.

Boat swinging is cool...I also call it pulling flies. Ha!
    Best,
    Ed

9. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Sean I use an outbound short on my 8104 XP. I single spey almost exclusively with it when I use it for winter fish. I love it, roll casts and snap T's are a breeze and I can be fishing 70+ feet in one cast. Just a thought, that way you wouldn't have to deal with the loop connections on a shooting head type system. I have been thinking about grabbing a Skagit comp. in 6wt and cutting it up for my XP though. Oh I just grabbed A Skagit comp. Intermediate 600gr for the coast next week. Pumped to see this line swing. Good luck with your choice, let us know what you some up with.